PDA

View Full Version : Spring on the North Fork

freeskier89
05-03-2009, 02:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-02-2009/126656_northforks.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Spring on the North Fork
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Alright so I'm starting to get back into oils again after doing a bunch with acrylics and here's what I came up with.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All critiques/comments are appreciated!

Sam_I_Am
05-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Welcome back to oils :) You're off to a good start. The biggest problem have is that the lack of value is affecting the depth of the piece. I would dull the far-off peaks, definitely brighten the green and middle ground, and then just go in and add a little more definition to the foreground. I like your loose, painterly brush strokes, though, and this is on its way, for sure:)

tgsloth
05-03-2009, 08:38 AM
As Stef says, the value range could be wider. This is true of a lot of paintings. I'd also like to mention a bugaboo of mine. I don't like (usually) no stinkin' canvas weave showing. Particularly on such a small canvas. It distracts. I know that some artists make it a virtue but I think for most folks, it's a good idea to banish it by painting on panel or painting thick on canvas or adding a ground before.

I feel like painting rocks (large or small) is tough (for me anyhow) but you've nailed the forms and colors. I wonder about the river in the foreground. It looks a bit sad and dark so that a casual viewer doesn't even notice it at first. And yet a river is usually a crucial part of a scene. And you'ld think it would catch more light. So the apended photoshop punches the values and brightens up the river.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2009/124239-126656_northforks_river.jpg

Another approach though is to just focus on the rocks as you've done them so well. This yields a panorama aspect ratio which is unusual and I think attractive.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2009/124239-126656_northforks_cropped.jpg

Corby
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
appropriate observations that in themselves enliven an already beautiful piece!

yarddog
05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
more cool rocks.....you do them well!!
I'm inclined (get it) to agree with tgsloths comments......
are you now going to take us up there...like you did at Pilot creek...?...yd

freeskier89
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah great point about the value, that's something I often overlook. I'm starting to work on the changes you guys suggested. I sanded and gessoed 5 canvases so I don't repeat the weave problem. I'll probably revisit it in a bit, hopefully on a larger format... 8x10's can be kind of claustrophobic. Thanks!

tigerpaw
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
You have captured the ruggedness ....:clap:

yarddog
05-06-2009, 04:53 PM
hahaha.....funny you should type that about the weave....
sloth has me sanding gesso too......how many layers did it take..?yd

MRSBB
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I always like your posts and I wish I was up in Cody right now. We came up there through the Wind River valley and the views are awesome. The canvas weave doesn't bother me so much. Your pile of rocks are well done, a few more highlights and it will be over the top...............Lenore

freeskier89
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks! yd, I did a quick brush of the canvas with 60 grit, and then a bit more with 150 grit. I stopped when the canvas color just barely poked through in a couple spots. I then added one thin layer of gesso, and then resanded with 150 really lightly. Its quite a bit smoother now, although another layer would probably be good. Im just too lazy to do that haha!

The canvas I'm using (W/N professional) isnt all that rough to begin with, but the weave seems to catch the light in the photos. Tgsloth will have us painting silicon wafers that are flat down to micron levels before long lol. Just kidding