PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Untitled

mobius49
05-02-2009, 02:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-02-2009/82256_20090502_abstract_001.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Abstract Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 4" x 4"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
just looking for feedback, extremely new to acrylics, this is my 5th piece. I have painted in watercolors for 3 plus years.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all c/c welcome !

Corby
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
mobius49 ! I am not any sort of knowledgeable expert when it comes to abstracts, but what you have done here caught my attention. It made me think about the matter because I like what you have done, yet I was a bit puzzled as to why it was something I would look at and then pass on without staying. The time examining your work was useful to me, perhaps my observations would be useful to you. I was thinking that due to the obvious reference to natural form it would or could be classified as an "Organic Abstraction" I don't know as there is such a genre, but that allowed me to place a label on it and at the same time realize why it was not holding the attention it attracted. It seems to need some structure Is there such a thing as structural abstraction? Why not...by combining what I am thinking of as two separate approaches it seems to flesh out as it were, having the organic feel and the bolder statement of hard edges as well This then was the result of my mental meandering with the piece. Perhaps you will see some value in it for future work... I was also noting the "untitled" portion of your posting...it strikes me that if one were painting without an idea behind their work...a visual goal as it were...how could they make meaningful marks? Even in abstraction? When I was doing my workup to try and demonstrate my words here, I had an idea in mind: "Window With a View". A painting need not be titled of course, many do not do so purposely. That is fine, but there must be a title as it were in our minds, in the painting of it...else we are not going to be making a strong visual statement. I have certainly enjoyed your fine gallery work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/70790-abstractedview.jpg
***:thumbsup:***

mobius49
05-02-2009, 04:17 PM
interesting thoughts.