PDA

View Full Version : No it's not my stinkin landscape! ......

mooz49
05-02-2009, 09:37 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-02-2009/27632_Kettle_still_life.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: No it's not my stinkin landscape! ......
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12 X 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was painting a landscape and with every stroke of the brush it was getting worse instead of better ....<br>I was about to throw all my paints and brushes in the bin and go and take up an easier hobby like mountain climbing or kayaking in treacherous waters. Then I went to Open Critique for some light relief and came across one of Mosteller's gorgeous still life paintings and I decided that I didn't want to paint any more of my stinkin landscape but I wanted to try a still life instead ....<br>It's nowhere near as good as Mosteller's beautiful art but it is a whole lot better than my stinkin landscape .....<br>Thanks to AnnaKate for the photograph in Images.<br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have you ever done a painting that got more stinkin with every brushstroke?

tgsloth
05-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I only make stinkin' paintings on days which end in a "y". But on to yours. One of the best you've posted I think. The apples, teapot, background and specular highlights are all nailed. Wow. Stay indoors.

Crit checklist:

A bit cooler light in the shadows
It'll be painful but that teacup is druuunnnk. Need to reestablish symmetry of form.
Carefully excise the black line around the teapot spout.
The lemon has minor flatness issues compared to the wonderful apples. A bit more agressive shading I think.
The reflections of the glossy table need attention. See how everything but the teacup is hovering an inch above the table? A close look at the reference should permit reworking the reflections so as to ground the objects.

AllisonR
05-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Very funny post.
I really like the bumpy reflection in the lemon, really makes the skin seem real. Luckily I don't have to type much, because I agree with rgsloth - just reread that post! (And add to the checklist that the table edge appears to go up awkwardly on the right. Not saying it has to be perfectly horizontal, but the left edge is straight and the right side goes way up. Pick one or the other.

Have you ever done a painting that got more stinkin with every brushstroke?

Uh, yes, more than once. If I never had, then I would not have learned much. And, I've learned a lot over the years. :D

CWood
05-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Love it!:clap: :clap:

Carl

billmahler
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Nicely done, Anne.
The green apples steal if for me.
Yes, the teacup and the pot have some drawing problems. I use a tip from a drawing book when drawing anything with an ellipse... draw it as a cylinder with a center line first and then edit the cylinder as needed.

Corby
05-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Marvelous Moozie! The teapot only needs the line adjusted on the spout side...a bit more curve as it approaches the root of the spout. Bills advice is a winner in the matter of getting edges to match, as in the tea cup...I have seen Meiji Dynasty 'porcelains' with variations on that general shape... but uniform is the norm... Anne, I think you have found your genre...hope to see more!

...now about that kayak...I have been thinking...

(((:D)))

laf.art
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
wow Mooz, you have been hiding your light under a bushel, guess I shall have to look for you in the still life forum from now on :clap:

allanom
05-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Some great feedback already provided.

I'm quite taken by the overall waxy feeling of everything in the tableau.

Good for you for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g. It's quite lovely.

eyecandy2
05-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Your painting will be great if you follow all of the above comments. tgsloth got it all right.

Spyderbabe
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Anne,I love this... yes, some paintings - when they start to go downhill theres no stopping the decline.. I think you did right by switching gears. I love the apples - I wouldnt mind if you replaced the teacup with another apple.
K

Sam_I_Am
05-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm glad you've moved on to something else. I've done plenty of things that make me want to tear my hair out - and sometimes you just need a little distance. And, I'm not talkin' a couple days. I've waited as long as a year before completing a disaster :P

That aside, I'm in love with the texture of this. Its so shiny, bright and beautiful - its wonderful :)

Artlady5
05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
All the comments above have merit. And yet I feel I could just pick up that teacup. I think it is fabulous.

AlaskaDan
05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
just a few corrections away from a magnificent still life...:thumbsup:

varna
05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Mooz, I love this still life ,the apples are fantastic as the rest ,I really like the comment and agree with AlaskaDan .Oh yes ,paintings gone bad I've seen plenty of those and still happens .

mackb
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Anne, your best still life so far. I can't top any of the crits, so I will say you have really grown in the six months I've been around. I love the pot, no not that kind of pot girl, the tea pot, minus the black line.

yarddog
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/182771-teaparty.gifI just have no better words....this is terrific.....
everything is so shiny..........I loveit..loveit..loveit.....yd

MRSBB
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I love it too Mooz. In fact I have a bright yellow teakettle setting on my stove right now. Do some more, this is great..........Lenore

cbcarnell
05-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Anne - I think addressing the minor crits will push this up to become a masterpiece! This is GREAT work, and I hope I get to see more landscapes...er...still lifes (actually BOTH) from you!!!!!

laudesan
05-03-2009, 06:31 AM
I absolutely love the shine you have on everything. The apple needs a reflection on the table too, like the lemon. Bring the reflections closer tot he fruit, and they wont look like they are floating. You can actually have the reflection touch the fruit, right in the centre, just a little. Let me know if you want me to show you what I mean.

Yes the teacup is wonky, but it sure has charm. I love it like that to be honest, and I wouldn't mess with it. Just keep in mind Bill's instructions for eclipses for the next time.

Yes, I honestly, really, really like this painting Anne!!!!!

mooz49
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow! ..... how sweet to come here and see such wonderful comments from you lovely folk.... I am humbled.....
My son had been hinting that he wanted me to do a painting for the dining area of his house in Belfast and this was what I had in mind when I was doing this one. He was here yesterday and saw the painting propped up against my living room wall, where I could see it often and maybe spot what else it needed. He said "that would look nice in my house" .... boy was that music to my ears ..... he will be 29 next week and this will be the perfect present ......
Bob .... thank you for all that wonderful advice .... much appreciated....
Allison .... thanks for spotting the table edge ....
Carl ....clappies are good!! .... thanks.....
Bill .... great cylinder tip and one to remember .... thanks!
Corby .... thank you ..... now what were you thinking about that kayak?
Laf.art .... thank you .....I did go to the Still Life Forum once and my thread nearly turned into a still life ..... probably something to do with my art though!!
Allan .... I'm quite taken that you are quite taken .... thanks.....
Phil .... thank you and yes ..... Tg got it right....
Kathleen ..... replace the cup with an apple ....interesting thought ..... thanks
Stef .... wonderful from you sounds good to me ....thanks!
Artlady .... saying that you could pick up the cup is a wonderful comment to get .....thank you!
Dan ....thank you ....I will also take magnificient from you!
Varna ..... just knowing that the "catlady" can do some not so good paintings make me feel better!..... thank you ....
Mackb ..... thank you and I am so pleased that you like the "pot"!!
Yd .... just to know that you are waggin' your little tail makes me happy!!
Lenore .... you are lookin' good in your avatar :thumbsup: ....lovely to put a sweet smiling face to that wonderful personality. How nice to have a sunny yellow teapot sitting on your stove ...take a pic of it and show us!!
Claire ..... thank you ....you always are so very encouraging.....
JJ .... your critique is as always great ....much appreciated ....thank you ....

michelle021
05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Ann... The apples really come alive for me. Very nicely done.