PDA

View Full Version : Navajo Sellers

lastborn
05-01-2009, 10:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-01-2009/152141_Navajo_sellers_painting_as_of_May,_2009.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Navajo Sellers
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 X 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From a photo taken on one of our several trips to Arizona in the last few years. I still want to add some details, maybe highlights on the items on the table and something in the woman's hand (in the red sweater). <br>This is my first post and I struggled to get the photo colors close to the actual colors in the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on anything and everything. I have painted for quite a while, but know that my work is "troubled". I can take criticism. I'm not easily hurt and I want to now everything you can help me with. Thanks.

mooz49
05-02-2009, 04:35 AM
I will leave the critiquing to the experts but I will say one thing ....I can feel the heat! :thumbsup:

thomas w
05-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I like the expansive view here. It doesn't really look like a 16 x 20 though. But the colors and composition work wonderfully for me.

tgsloth
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm always a big fan of those folks who can paint figures in a gestural and convincing fashion (a group which excludes me). So you've done a great job and I love the diversity of the positions of the figures. Some thoughts for improvement:

Your composition puts the red figure right at the center and yet she's seems to me to be the natural center of interest. The composition also includes a near but empty stall under the umbrella which seems a bit superflouous and where it's been hard for you to convincingly paint the do-dads on sale. So why not crop out the near stuff on the left to focus on the red figure?

The whole painting seems a bit over saturated but maybe this is the photo.

You've painted wonderful warm colors but shouldn't the shadows be in much cooler tones as they take their light from the blue sky.

I apend a photoshop which tries to illustrate these thoughts:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/124239-152141_Navajo_sellers_painting_as_of_May,_2009.jpg

Corby
05-02-2009, 02:44 PM
You have gotten some fine observations here, I just wanted to add my thoughts as well...the purity of your color and your color choices just sing. beautifully done! The sense of filtered light under the umbrellas is absolutely marvelous, as Moos49 has pointed out you can also really feel the heat.
I think tgsloth is right about the improvement in composition, his suggestion works beautifully! ...but I do miss those two marvelous foreground umbrellas in their entirety, what a statement of form and glowing color! And I like the visual progression of the umbrella shapes into the background. I think you could save the composition as it is by adding a figure and tying its value and color into that foreground mass of shadow. This shifts the focal point slightly from the woman in red to the added woman and the focal point is compositionally better balanced. I would not change the foreground items on the table, in my view they are in perfect keeping with the filtered light under the umbrella... an added thought is that even though you have softened it the horizon line/edge could almost be completely obliterated. Where it touches them, it is 'capturing' the heads on your foreground figures as well as the umbrella poles. This visually flattens and disturbs the sense of distance and atmospheric heat. The seated figure behind the woman in red seems much too large. If it were to stand up it would tower above the edge of the umbrella, so adjusting size downward might be in order there. Here is a sort of visual synopsis of what I have noted and suggested. I am only sorry you took so long to post! A marvelously pleasing painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/70790-Navajosellers.jpg

***:thumbsup:***

gae
05-02-2009, 11:13 PM
This is a wonderful work as it stands now. But I was thinking...how would it have looked without the figures? Maybe with one more open umbrella on the far right. It might amplify the vastness of the Southwest and it's brightness. Use the objects on the tables to introduce vivid colors.

MRSBB
05-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi Lastborn and welcome to the forum. I like the openness of this painting. It definitely shows the heat of the desert. Now that your past the first post, keep em' coming..........Lenore

yarddog
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
sorry I'm late.....I've been off buying trinkets at the swapshop..http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2009/182771-shopping.gif
I really like your composition.....the umbrellas are so well planted....
can't wait to see more of your work.....yd

lastborn
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you so much for your comments. It's even nice to see some disagreement among your thoughts--to know that there is more than one way to make a composition work. I appreciate this so much. I am kind of an isolated painter, so I need feedback. Blessings on you all. I'll post again soon, I hope, unless my life thickens up on me, as it does from time to time.
Lastborn.

mburrell
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2009/158887-152141_Navajo_sellers_painting_as_of_May,_2009-2.jpg

Hi,
I love this piece looks like a market in the middle of nowhere. I have made some small changes. The head shadow in the bottom right corner seemed too strong pulling the viewer to it so I lighten it as well as the far green umbrella then a little light to the front green umbrella (outside panels). I added some shade under the table to bring out that space just a bit. Lastly
I lighten the upper left corner this removes the arc and helps the eye move to the distance. I like your composition as it stands. These changes are minor and will support the feel of the piece. I hope this will help.
Beautiful work.
Mike

lastborn
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Mike. I appreciate those specific details. It's amazing how blind to some things we become as we work on a piece. Do you really think it is pretty good? I often feel that my stuff is all junk. But I love it, so I keep trying. Lastborn.

mburrell
05-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Lastborn,
I'm not one to flatter artist or people in general. I call them as I see them or feel them. I try to avoid put downs as they can be destructive, though I do like to joke with people. I like your junk. Just think of me as The GOODWILL store, you can drop that little painting off at my place anytime. I hope you will post more of your lovely junk because we see little gems. I saw you post about using oils that are close to cyan, magenta and yellow as a base primary to mix your secondaries. Did you do that in this painting? I was under the impression that CMY worked by dots close together or the translucence of the ink in printing. I never thought to use it painting. Would you post some of your efforts using CMY?
Yours,
Mike

lastborn
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I used Artisan lemon yellow, Artisan (I think, I'm not in my studio right now) magenta and Duo Aqua Marine Blue for my primaries and they are pretty darn close to the true cyan, magenta and yellow of which we theoretically speak. They made a beautiful bright purple and a bunch of really good oranges. So I'm thinking that I need to quit thinking of "red" as a primary. It has too much yellow in it and when you mix it with anything that is purplish, it turns it to mud. And I need to quit thinking of "blue" as a primary. It has too much purple in it and turns anything golden to mud. I did not use that scheme with the Navajo Sellers painting, but I have been working with just those three "real" primaries and white since then and I'm telling you I can mix anything. The three of them make a fabulous dark dark . I really feel excited to start painting more with these primaries on my glass. I've always been pretty good at mixing colors, but I'm a lot clearer now. I always figured that the "real" complement to any color was the after image (is that the right word?) that you get after staring at the color and then looking at a totally colorless space afterward and finding which color shows up on your retina. When you do that with the primaries: red, yellow, blue, the after images are NOT the ones right across the color wheel of a red=yellow=blue wheel. That's gotta be significant.
Anyway. Those are my thoughts.
Thanks again for you ideas. Now all I need is more painting time. This week is a wreck. Lastborn.

skyeagle
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm always a big fan of those folks who can paint figures in a gestural and convincing fashion (a group which excludes me). So you've done a great job and I love the diversity of the positions of the figures. Some thoughts for improvement:

Your composition puts the red figure right at the center and yet she's seems to me to be the natural center of interest. The composition also includes a near but empty stall under the umbrella which seems a bit superflouous and where it's been hard for you to convincingly paint the do-dads on sale. So why not crop out the near stuff on the left to focus on the red figure?

The whole painting seems a bit over saturated but maybe this is the photo.

You've painted wonderful warm colors but shouldn't the shadows be in much cooler tones as they take their light from the blue sky.

I apend a photoshop which tries to illustrate these thoughts:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/124239-152141_Navajo_sellers_painting_as_of_May,_2009.jpg
I definitely would not cool the shadows. It loses the desert feel for me. I think you got a lot right.:thumbsup: For me, the focal point is the green umbrella against the warm yellow one. That's where I enter the painting, and then move on in and around in it, then back to the big cool against warm umbrellas. The depth via perspective is great. The empty table in front is a good lead in to the perspective. Those flea market type events often have a spot that's not filled. It adds to the realism of the scene.
My only consideration for a slight change would be the purple in the sky. Is it monsoon season? It just seems that the heat depicted would have a clear blue sky. That's AZ!
IF you agree with the comments about the lady in red, you could glaze her dress with the background color to meld her into the background some. It doesn't bother me, that's why I put IF in caps.
It's obvious that we all see differently, and that's a great lesson in getting critiques.
I lived 18 years in AZ, and this takes me back! Thanks for the ride!:wave:

Spyderbabe
05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
You could crop off a few inches on the left so that the yellow umbrella is nearer to the edge. Lady in red seems to be talking to someone so I like Corbys idea of adding another figure there. The other interesting thing going on is the shadow in the lower right ... I assume the shadow of our viewer? You could elongate this and it would serve to act like a pointer towards the COI

LynnDigby
05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Mike. I appreciate those specific details. It's amazing how blind to some things we become as we work on a piece. Do you really think it is pretty good? I often feel that my stuff is all junk. But I love it, so I keep trying. Lastborn.

It's good work. And I think most painters go through what you describe. Keep making the stuff you love. While what people think is important, it's more important that you continue to paint what fires you, and that you enjoy the fruits of that.

I think you are on the right track!

No junk here!!