PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes, May 2009

AlaskaDan
05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the May edition of Different Strokes.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference(s) (whole or cropped) and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic. Monthly references will be selected by the guides and moderators (but please note the additional comment above)

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ...... that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!

Good Painting! Dan

THIS MONTH'S REFERENCES:

Charlie's Mum
05-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Hey Gang - look at these two from Dan - should produce some good work! :D

Thanks Dan, both of these are lovely pics - got mine chosen :D

ArtsyMom
05-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow Dan, the photos are beautiful and quite a challenge. Would like to try my hand at one of these. Lil

Linee
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Oooo...a choice of two great pics. Looks like fun!

AlaskaDan
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Everyone, I hope you enjoy this months photos. Looking forward to seeing everyones work. Lets break out the paints! :wave:

OkeeKat
05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
OHH Great photos, Hope now I have time to participate in this one!

Scotyel
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Good pictures. Should be fun. Will definitely have a go at one of these. ;)

grekslay
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Great pics Hope i can make time to have a go at these this month :crying:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AlaskaDan
05-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Lilian..glad you like the photos..hope you get the paints out! :)

Linda...you might even try them both! :thumbsup:

AlaskaDan
05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Kathy, Pam and Graham, hope you all find time to paint these, I am exciting to see everyones work...

Lulu
05-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Great ref. photos Dan! any chance of higher resolution pics please?

Assaf
05-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Amazing photo, especially the one with the boats - but I can't do it this month. I may be moving to another continent (Australia!) so I'll be packing and buying supplies and stuff.

samsfleurdelis
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Can't wait - have to finish Employment Law class before getting into painting again - last day is Tuesday!

:)

nurciuoli
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Wonderful references Dan! Can't wait to start.

laudesan
05-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Amazing photo, especially the one with the boats - but I can't do it this month. I may be moving to another continent (Australia!) so I'll be packing and buying supplies and stuff.Whereabouts in Australia?

Onewithwings
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Great photos! They already look a bit "paintingesque".

lilbelle
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Excellent photos Dan, it's going to be hard to decide which one to do!

Teresa's Treasures
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Great photos Dan, I have to give this a try. Now to decide which one to do or both.

LavenderFrost
05-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I got mine done yesterday.

artastic
05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
WOW, I love them both, I may get a chance to do both of them!

Linee
05-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I have an under painting done for the boats. I hope to have time to do the window, too.

rmc
05-11-2009, 01:52 AM
wonderful photos - am thinking of finding the time to give this a go...... very very tempting......have just returned from overseas and lots calling for attention but this is awesome.

Snowy Owl
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
The photos are absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to pick up the brush again. Haven't posted in a looooong time when joined in AMAE WDEs. Thanks Dan.

Linee
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I finished. Too much going on in the next 2 weeks to do the other. (Spring cleaning, garage sale, birthday party, graduation party...) Looking forward to everyone's submissions!

changingpaths
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Late poking my head in...but can't resist these. Wonderful Refs! Not sure which to work on....or both. lol.
cyd...formerly known as Cyndi to this group.

AlaskaDan
05-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Hope everyone is having great success with this months challenge...anxious to see everyones work! Paint away! :)

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh I'm having real fun today with mine Dan!
Started last night and spent sometime today - a few hours - really enjoying the paint!!! ;) :D

ArtsyMom
05-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Spent the day painting on this unsettled weather Saturday. I like the one with the cats and decided to give it an attempt. Done on w/c paper 9 x 12. C & C appreciated. Lil

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Lil - you're a little early!
Reveal date is the 20th so will you repost then please? - and you'll get the comments then too :) :)

changingpaths
05-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I am having so much fun with this. These are really two fabulous photo refs in their own right...almost seems a shame to do anything to them. BUT...since I have places my paintings need to go. And for some reason my Different Strokes paintings seem to kharmically turn out some of my best...alter the first I have.

Still painting, but totally enjoying it. Thank you so much for making it so easy!
cyd...aka Cyndi (last time I put that guys...so hopefully everyone remembers me. )

ArtsyMom
05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Ooops! Sorry I'll repost this coming week. Maybe I'll have another one done by the 20th. Lil

Charlie's Mum
05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks Lil - I was about to PM you to explain - just in case you didn't get an email update!;)

I've just finished and scanned mine - so enjoyed doing it, thanks Dan - just wish I had time to do the other ref too, but the Florals project is 5 days after this one! :eek:

changingpaths
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm going to be late posting. I got my angles askew...and had done so much blending underneath, I can't fix it. Plus I overgrew my canvas. LOL. I'm not quite certain how that happened...although I THOUGHT I had a 9 x 12 and it turns out it is an 8 x 10. Grabbed from the wrong pile I guess. I was so excited about this little painting....But hopefully I can post it corrected before the 30th. They say repainting one goes way faster.
:( cyd I do so LOVE these refs!

gaykir
05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Whew! I was late to the party but I made it! I haven't participated in quite awhile but one of these ref photos was just irresistable.....then today I realized it was the 19th!! Can't wait until the morning to see what everyone has done!

PainterDeb
05-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Is it too late to join? I am about 95% done with my small painting, but am having trouble with my cat....just a very simple cat, but he won't cooperate. I'm about ready to turn him into a flowerpot! :o It is past my bedtime, I'll have to finish him tomorrow.

gaykir
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Well, I guess I'll go ahead and post....I was surprised not to see any of your wonderful works here already. I just fell in love with this reference and couldn't resist those bold colors.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/56079-Row,_row,_row__your.......jpg

ArtsyMom
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow Gayle your artwork is beautiful. I was afraid of doing this one with so many colors and reflections but you did a sensational job. Lil

ArtsyMom
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Well here is my take on the cats in the window. This scene was irresistible and had to do this one in acrylics on paper. The angle of my window is not right but I'm still learning to see. Lil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/88614-IMG_1225.JPG

nurciuoli
05-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Happy 20th everyone! Hope all are doing well. Lovely spring morning here on the east coast.

Love the two paintings already posted:
Gayle - wonderful work. I love your water & reflections. And your blue is electric!

Lil - you did a fantastic job on this one. I was afraid of the cats (just the painting) - I may try it at some point, just for the challenge.

Well I'm off to the day job, but wanted to post my art. I just had to do the 3 boat scene - the colors were just too inviting. 9x12 canvas sheet.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!
Nan

Linee
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
8x10 on paper "Bright and Early"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/101851-Bright_and_Early.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's mine - before I look at any others! :D

Thanks for the great refs Dan!

I had great fun doing the wall of this painting - remembering the walls we painted in Deadsam's class 2 or 3 years ago. The difficult bit was the animal contingent!:lol:

9.5x7.5" on a piece of mountboard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/30494-Alaskan_window_WC_May_09.jpg

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Gayle - those boats are so bright and cheerful. Love the 'liquid dark' beneath the boats.

Nancie - very nice too - and I like the way you handled the water patterns at the top.

Linda - another lovely set of boats - really like all those painterly brushstrokes/texture. Very nice!

Lil - thanks for posting again:D it's just the top angle of the window that needs adjusting to go up to the right, that's all! It's a lovely calm scene you've painted here.

lilbelle
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Gayle, fabulous job! I love the bright colours of your boats! :thumbsup:

Lil, you did a great job on your cats and shutters!

Nan, I really like your water details! Really nice! :thumbsup:

Linda, wonderful job on your boats! The closer crop looks great and I like your water!

Maureen, I love your wall! Beautiful job on everything!

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank you Lilian :D
Waiting for yours;) ;)

lilbelle
05-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Here are mine. I ran out of time on the boats so the water got simplified. They are both painted on a 9x12 canvas board. Actually the same board, the boats are painted over top of the cats.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/103642-DSC03005.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/103642-DSC03020.jpg
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the entries!

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh Lilian - they're both super! What a shame to paint over the cats though :crying:

LavenderFrost
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Gayle, not surprising you would like the bold colours. Great job!

Lil, you may have a wrong angle, but everything is well done otherwise.

Nanice, very nice, the water looks really cool.

Linda, good work, it really does have an early morning feel.

Maureen, very well done. I like the expression on the cat.

Lillian, good work on both! It's too bad you painted over the cats though.

lilbelle
05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Maureen and Michelle! My husband is strictly a dog person and thought the painting would look much better with dogs sitting there instead. :lol: It was good practice and I may paint that one again in a larger size.

LavenderFrost
05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Another ATC, 2.5x3.5", on posterboard.
My cat looks funny, lol. He was looking ok, but then I fiddled too much and ruined him. Looks ok from a distance I guess.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/104871-CatinWindow.jpg

lilbelle
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
It looks great Michelle! I think cats always look cranky anyway :rolleyes: :lol:
You got all the details in a small size, well done!

AlaskaDan
05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Gayle, beautifully done here, nice bold colours...congrats. :thumbsup:

AlaskaDan
05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Lil..very nice work, you picked the most challenging one and handled it well.. :)

Nancie...I like the way you handled the reflections, nicely done...:thumbsup:

Teresa's Treasures
05-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Everyone has done a fantastic painting these photos. I like the difference between each artist Wanted to do the boats but ran out of time.
Here's mine:
C & C are welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2009/147288-cats_in_window.jpg

AlaskaDan
05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Linda...excellent job here, I like the crop and bright colours..congrats :thumbsup:

Maureen...lovely painting, I wondered if anyone would paint both cats...like the wall texture... :thumbsup:

gaykir
05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Artsymom - Love your cats and the soft warm colors you used!

Nan - I love the ripples at the rear of your boats. Nice choice of colors there!

Linda - You've done such a grand job of capturing the grittiness of these well worn boats. I love it.

Maureen - Nice work on the cats! That outside cat looks none tto happy to be outside! I love the wonderful details on the shutters!

Lillian - Both of yours are wonderful. I particulary like the look of peeling stucco on the walls of the cottage.

Michelle - Your cat looks much happier not to have to be bothered by the indoor cat!

Teresa - I rather enjoy the simplicity of your depiction and those white curtains pop against the cottage. I don't think you have to be done by the 20th - you actually have the whole rest of the month to work on it if you like.

Onewithwings
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I did mine with just the one cat:

Onewithwings
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Gayle- Love those waves!

ArtsyMom- Great job on those shutters

Nancie- I almost see faces in the water, very cool

Linda- Great details

Maureen- Yours has a great feel to it, great job on the cat!

Lillian- I love the bright colors and high contrast :)

Lavender- awesome detail for an ATC

Teresa- cool style!

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Michelle - There's so much in such a tiny space, I'm amazed you even got a likeness to the cat never mind such a good rendition of it!

Teresa, yours is probably the most 'different' of this reference - well done! Some nice wall textures.

Kati - I like your painting and love the expression on your cat's face!
Priceless!

I found both cats difficult to paint at this size - no room to manoeuvre the paint!:lol: - the eyes on the outside one really bugged me so that's why he has the fed-up expression!:lol:
Thanks very much for all the comments :D

Onewithwings
05-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Maureen, I actually thought about giving him a laughing cat face with the caption "Window cat laffs @ ceiling cat!"

PainterDeb
05-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Here's my attempt, maybe someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my poor cat. (I knew enough not to try two cats! :cat: )

Something is off and I'm not sure what it is. I need to finish the eyes, but I wasn't sure they were in the right position. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it is 8x10 on canvas panel.

So fun to see everyone else's interpretations!!

Gayle - really nice! I like the vivid colors of the boats, and the way you handled the water.

ArtsyMom - love your two cats. They each have their own personality!

Nancie - I like the movement of the water, rippling against the boats

Linda - beautiful job on this!! the colors really sizzle! Can I ask what kind of paper you used?

Maureen - you really have a good sense of depth in your painting. Great texture on the wall, love the cats!

Lillian - yours are both great! I can't believe you painted over the cats!

Michelle - can't believe you got all of those details in such a small painting!

Teresa - I like the color scheme in yours

Kati - Love the deep colors in this one, and the expression on your cat.

Thanks Dan for the photos. I may have to try the boat one someday

PainterDeb
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Let me try that again.

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Deb - I like this!
I like the cat too and wouldn't try to alter his eyes - the suggestion of them is fine - he's a lovely 'cat' shape!:D

Linee
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Gayle, great color!!
ArtsyMom, lovely detailing!
Nan, I love the movement of water and air.
Maureen, great texture and your cats are so right.
Lillian, your cat/window rendition was truly beautiful, and your boats are great! The water, even though simplified, looks real.
Michelle, I like the perfect contrasts of color and value.
Teresa, fun style! Gotta love those "happy cats". :)
Kati, I like the simplified version with just one kitty.
Deb, I used Canson acrylic paper (from Micheal's). I love your style and yellow cat.

nurciuoli
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Just popped back in to take a look. Wow, what great work everyone has. I already saw Gayles & Lil's, and commented on them. I want to acknowledge the others:

Linda - I love the roughness of the underside of your boats. And your foreground water. I struggled with both of those things on mine

Maureen - Adorable cats! Both of them! And your wall is beautiful - love it.

Lillian - wow! Great job on doing both paintings, and doing them so well.

Michelle - I can't get over how you put so much detail in such small paintings. Its wonderful.

Theresa - there is something so terrific on this. I think it's the palette & comp. Makes the window & cats just stand out & be the center of attention.

Kati - I absolutely love the cats expression.

Deb - I love the yellow kitty. It's perfect in the window & it's color just complements the whole painting.

And let me say thanks to everyone's comments on mine. It's funny - but it's the area's I struggle with the most that get the most comments. The water behind the boats - I repainted that section 3 times! And might have done a 4th if the 20th hadn't arrived.

Everyone has done a wonderful job! :thumbsup: :clap:

Teresa's Treasures
05-21-2009, 08:41 AM
gaykir onewithwings Charlie's mums, PainterDeb, linee, nurciuoli
Thank you I really appreciate your responses. I wanted to try a differant stucco so I texturized it. As for the boats I may do those to challenge myself. Haven't decided yet.

LavenderFrost
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Teresa, nice job and I like the way you did the wall.

Kati, I thought one cat was enough too. Your painting looks great! What size is it?

Deb, very nice work there. The cat looks more like a toy but there's nothing wrong with that!

lilbelle
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Teresa, I think your cats look wonderful! I like the change of colour, nicely done!

Kati, I love the deep red shutters against the cool green wall, good work!

Deb, now that looks like a happy cat, great job!

Thank you for the comments on mine! Gosh, now I kinda wish I hadn't painted over the cats :rolleyes:

Thank you Dan for the great photos to work from, I may use them again!

artastic
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Gayle: Wonderful colors
Lil, I love your cats in the window
Nan, Linda, what terrific cat paintings!
Maureen, Your walls and all the painting is terrific
Lillian, these two refs were so good, it was hard to pick! I am glad you did both (the cats are still in my 'to do bucket)
Michelle! your cat looks Very pleased with himself!, great job
Teresa, Katie: both so unique and elegant renditions
Deb: I love the colors of the wall.

I actually had mine done WAY ahead of time, then forgot that yesterday was the 20th!!
so here it is at last
12x12 stretched canvas on deep panel, and I have never painted boats in acrylic before, but so loved the colors

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2009/104250-2.jpg

I also added a couple side views as attachments

this was alot of fun, considering I had no idea what I was doing
I really love the cat picture too, but it may become a WC in the future if that is OK,

Linee
05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Bonnie, great job! Love the wrapped canvas. Definitely adds to the drama. :)

nurciuoli
05-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Bonnie - I love the wrapped canvas too. Love how it wraps the boats around the edges. Very cool!

PainterDeb
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Bonnie - Great job on the boats! I also like the way you painted it on the wrapped canvas. How deep are the sides?

I am going to rework my cat this weekend. I'm not happy with him, although I do like his color, and it is such an easy area to rework without affecting the rest of the painting.

Teresa's Treasures
05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Bonnie love the way you did the boats that I fantastic. The wrapped canvas was terrific brings everything together.

LavenderFrost
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Bonnie, nice work on those boats.

Charlie's Mum
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Very nice boats Bonnie - the whole painting works really well on the deep sides :thumbsup:

Onewithwings
06-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Kati, I thought one cat was enough too. Your painting looks great! What size is it?

11 x 14 on canvas board :)

shunter
07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I hope there isn't a statute of limitations on "Dif Strokes :lol: :lol: :lol:! I did start it in May but put it aside for a while. Started by applying grey gesso thickened with plaster of paris to a 12 x 16 board. The goal was to make it impossible for me to get too "tight".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2009/119991-DiffStrokeMay.jpg

Thanks for looking and sorry for dredging up such an old thread :rolleyes:.

Steve

LavenderFrost
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Better late than never!