GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lady Bugs
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8X8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here are the roses from WIP, there are things about them that are not true to my own dictates, I am not totally pleased with them, but they are what they are! The Lady bugs need a highlight on their wing cases and some petals need the back edges softened...by and large they will still look like this when that is done...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I realize it could be done differently...is there anything WRONG with it?

MRSBB
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Corby. I was going to comment in WIP, but saw you were moving it. I think it is beautiful and I like the post in the background. I like the single ladybug, not sure the two together might be too bright, but that is just a bit picky. Keep having fun...........Lenore

tgsloth
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong that I see. One of your better efforts, it seems to me. The composition is masterful and you've created a beautiful value range and COI. Looks like the doctor is taking his own medecine!

The lower bug's markings could constitute a happy face so perhaps a tiny swipe there...

tbezesky
04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Nice painting, I like the texture and the rich but subdued colors. Nice flower shapes. Interesting subject.

yarddog
05-01-2009, 02:16 AM
boy...they sure want to jump right off the canvas don't they......
I have ladybugs.......they walk on my canvases and leave little footprints....
I've always told them if they get stuck they'll be part of the picture.....see you had some stick....?....yd

Ronni
05-01-2009, 05:37 AM
The painting is tender and nice. It looks professional, and according to classic rouls. I think an additional of more colors, could add more harmony and a feel of pleasant light.

laudesan
05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Corby this is a delightful painting.

I would like to see a bit of red in the leaves, and some serrations.

I like that the roses are not perfect, because the average rose in the garden are not perfect. Only those grown for shows in hot houses can make that claim.

billmahler
05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
It's well drawn and well composed but I think it's missing an emphatic feeling of time and place.
I think Ronni has nailed the cause on the head:
I think an additional of more colors, could add more harmony and a feel of pleasant light
I'd add that more variety in temperature would raise it a few notches.

bpc
05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi Corby..its Brian here...Still looking at the pair of ladybugs and trying to figure out what the bright yellow coloring is....maybe the extended ladybug wings?..also the difference in the tonal values between the near roses and the far ones seems too great...maybe brighten up the far roses a bit

mburrell
05-01-2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2009/158887-70790_rosebuds5b.jpg

Corby,
Really nice work! I like the way you have the cooler roses underneath then desaturated the outer roses on the top half, smart. I think your lady bugs are toooo big and not thought out well. I reduced them you may want to try one somewhere on the right side I would test location with some kind of stick on because it may be tricky finding the best spot. Your fence posts seem too much the same so I dabbled the light and worked the edges where your leaves and flowers met it. I also added some soft high lights and shadows to some of the foliage ie near top right corner. I hope this will be food for thought. You have some very nice subtle stuff going on I bet you enjoyed the grove.
Mike

allanom
05-01-2009, 11:17 AM
It's such a fab floral painting on so many levels and I find the addition of the ladybugs a bit cutsie and detracting. I don't think they work in a painting of this scale -- you have to make them unrealistically large for them to have any presence. They'd be OK as the subject if they were close up on a single blossom.

Corby
05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
allanomthank you for addressing some of the issues I had with this. I have the same reaction to butterflies, ladybugs et al in paintings. I included them here to try and establish scale. The roses are actually painted a bit larger than in real life. They are Banksia's, miniatures as to flowers but not bush. The bush covers the house. The problem was to convey that aspect of miniature flower. The bugs obviously don't work as a measuring device. So away they fly! Thanks Allan.

mburrell I love the work up, thank you! Your lady bugs are beautiful. They push the size of the roses up. I had hoped by making mine real life size to establish the miniature aspect of the roses...it doesn't work, is just thought to be big bugs...so I will probably eliminate them. The flying bug seems not to be understood either, and is being perceived as two bugs. The lathe too is not working as a size indicator. I think I will cool it and push it back. Your work up works beautifully and is quite helpful.

bpc I appreciate your caution on the background roses. I will try that out and see if it adds some sparkle but still keeps those roses back there where they belong! The 'two' ladybugs are actually only one...the wing cases are open as it is flying, the wings under the cases are extended. Not a usual depiction of a ladybug and so is being misunderstood. They are not doing their job so I may just remove them. I am left with the question as how to show that these are miniature roses, actually a bit larger than their real size...

billmahler I always appreciate your observations on color and light Bill. I think your comments are appropriate. Truth is I cannot believe the time that has gone into this small thing and I just came to the point of physical exhaustion with it , left with the feeling that it needed an added layer of work: yes color and light. It is a small commission with a small price and I am loathe to spend more time on it, but the excellent observations that have been made tell me I must. Money is not the hub of the matter, it must be the quality of the work!

laudesan Good observation! I know exactly what you mean, but I had to really control myself not to add the desired red and the lovely toothy nature of rose leaves. The leaves on this type of rose are without serration and they are a soft monotone gray green. This flower really has an identity crisis!

Ronni Thank you for the insight. Initially the painting was soft and harmonious. I added some things that were not initially part of the idea...I disrupted the light and think I also created a color gap that needs filled...your observation is right on. Done with this? I wish I were, but I think not. Thanks!

yarddog Inclusions! I have often wondered how to deal with them!

tbezesky I'm pleased that it appeals! Thanks for the encouragement of your interest!

tgsloth Thanks Bob, I appreciate your looking in! And yes that poor lady bug is going to have the smile removed...the whole bug in fact. The consensus is ( although not directly addressed) that they are not doing their job as size indicators for the roses, neither evidently is the lathework. These roses are really tiny...I have missed that indication, they are registering as full size flowers.

MRSBB thanks for the comment Lenore. I am thinking the bugs are to be removed. They are not working. The two bugs together is actually only one bug flying. The wing cases are opened and the underlying flight wings extended.

La_
05-01-2009, 01:50 PM
ladybugs eat aphids and roses attract aphids (right?) so i'd keep 'em but shrink 'em (re: mikes morph) ... can't comment on the flowers 'cause i suck at flowers

la

tgsloth
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Save the bugs!
I doubt any of us realized that the roses were miniatures. So instead of calling the painting: "Lady Bugs", call it "Miniature Roses" or some such. The title of a painting can be an important part of its attractiveness to a viewer/buyer, like the frame. Anyhow, should you decide on a stay of execution for the bugs, I'd paint them a bit darker with single highlight like Mike's photoshop.

Corby
05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm glad you like the bugs tg I shall keep them, but think I will make the flying one alight and solve the misunderstanding there. The title "Ladybugs" was indeed sort of a ploy to get views from those who had already looked in the WIP forum...

greensyster
05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
The ploy didn't work Corby. I didn't look. :)

cbcarnell
05-03-2009, 01:13 AM
This put a smile on my face, Corby! Your roses are painted beautifully and true to form, but your 'ladies' could be a bit smaller. My kids used to have a book that had a tiny lady bug hidden on each page, and their greatest desire was to find each and every one. Your painting reminds me of all of the great times we had reading that book, and searching for the ladybugs!
Well done!

Corby
05-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Claire, thanks for the comment! The lassies are actually normal size. I was trying to show that the roses were miniatures! Seems from all comments about my large lassies that it didn't work... sort of like my 'ploy' didn't work with the greensys. That must be a 'ghost post'.
Yes tgsloth, the bugs have been saved and will get a shiny paint job so they look like their porcelain selves!
HI!LA! yep, the bugs are shrunk, thanks for looking.

This thread may now move on into the nether regions without my further response...
(((:wave:)))

mooz49
05-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Really beautiful work Corby! :thumbsup:
I got this photograph in an email recently and your painting reminded me of it ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2009/27632-Ladybirds.jpg

Corby
05-04-2009, 12:32 AM
sort of overwhelming when they come in sheets huh?