PDA

View Full Version : How is the swine flu going to

nana b
04-29-2009, 09:59 PM
effect the IAPS Convention? I guess you have all heard that we are just one level down from Pandemic. It's already effecting many things including air travel. Our first priority will of course be keeping our loved ones healthy as well as ourselves but I have to ask the question, will we be able to get our money back if things get worse?

nana

PeggyB
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Good question Nana. Fortunately, the convention is still a month away and hopefully well before then this will be much ado about nothing. However, you might send a note to the officers and executive director of IAPS now so they can thank about an answer before it becomes necessary.

Peggy

nana b
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Peggy. I'll see if I can find their contact numbers.
We have a big festival that we're in Friday, Saturday and Sunday and we are all packed up to set up tomorrow. I haven't heard anything from the organizers but I wonder...

nana

nana b
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I have sent Sharon Webster an e-mail.

nana

Maggie P
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
IAPS has no plans to cancel the convention. While we're hearing a lot in the media about the swine flu outbreak, when I listen to the news analysis it appears that the most important thing anyone can do is wash their hands frequently. No one, so far, has suggested cancelling events or air travel. While they are closing schools where there are outbreaks, I suspect that's partly to keep parents from being alarmed, and partly because it's not easy to get kids to keep their hands clean.

It seems to me that things like this often make big news headlines, and I understand that news media won't get any attention unless they make it sound really bad. It may well be that by the time the convention gets here, a month from now, this will all be over and we'll have new headlines to worry about.

I think back to when the cruise ships were having problems with the rotovirus--remember that? There were a couple of cruises that had to be interrupted because of massive outbreaks, and we had a big media fuss about it. A year ago, my husband and I took a cruise on the Queen Mary II. When we checked in, we had to answer questions about whether or not we had any symptoms. Once on board, we noticed that at the entrance to every food service area, a nicely-uniformed attendant waited to greet people and squirt antibiotic gel into their hands. Antibiotic wipes were commonly available. The cruise line realized that the best control of the problem was frequent hand-washing.

Personally, I believe the places we're most likely to pick up germs are grocery stores and shopping malls. I've noticed grocery stores have for some time had antibiotic wipe dispensers near the shopping carts, and I use them on the way in and out. Shopping malls and other places don't offer that, but I carry one of those little bottles of gel in my purse or in the car.

As far as the IAPS convention and refunds, no refunds are made after April 3, as stated several times on the registration flyer and form. We plan to proceed with the convention and expect to have a great time.

Pastel artists all wash their hands a lot anyway, but maybe we should add a few extra hand-washings for good measure!

(Maggie Price, Vice President, IAPS)

Maggie P
04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I think this is interesting. About 100 people in the US have been reported as having the swine flu and there has been one death. It's a media circus.

But in the news tonight there was an article about pollution that says it endangers the lives of 186 million Americans. It not only was buried deep on the page of headlines, when I went back to pick up some statistics, it was gone.

Just makes you wonder.

Maggie P
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Oops, my mistake...our Executive Director just told me that April 3 is the cutoff after which there are no FULL refunds. Refunds after that date are less a $50 fee. Sorry about the misinformation.

ElsieH
05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
:wave:

After teaching little kids for 43 years, before I retired a few years ago, I know that NO MATTER what you instruct them to do or watch and check, and clean up after them......those little guys just have a germ exchange rate to beat any financial rate in the world!:lol:
Not only that, they are very into grabbing, hitting, touching, poking etc. with those little germie hands! So, the schools are probably wise to close and to do some cleaning of the school! :wink2: :p

But, you just can't get everything, everyone, clean everywhere!
So, carry a little bottle of the cleaner in your pocket, purse and use it often! All the hype will drive you crazy, so just wash often, sneeze into your elbow instead of your hand! This too shall pass!:heart:
Go to the convention and enjoy!:thumbsup:

Sonni
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
If you are worried about the flu, there is a product developed by an Israeli virologist and clincally tested for viral infections. It's called Sambucol or Sambucus. It's concentrated wild elderberry sryup and is available OTC. Wild elderberry has an anti-viral properties.

wabbitt
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
First, don't panic. The WHO only raised the level to make money and drugs as readily available as possible. In the US, we aren't typically as hard to drag to a doctor as they in Mexico who have to pay up front for their medical visit. Wash your hands alot, use the anti-bacterial hand wipes and gels, don't touch anything that isn't yours, and don't shake hands at the IAPS. Howie Mandel is a self-proclaimed germaphobe, do like him and touch knuckles...whatever that's called...fist bump? Take your vitamins, eat extra oranges, or take Airborne. I heard it doesn't really help, but if it makes you feel better in a crowd, go for it. Masks? For pastel dust of course...

nana b
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm trying to rest up from a three day show that went really well in sales, almost as good as last year.
We took hand wipes and used them often and and are getting prepared for the IAPS convention.
Comfirming hotel reservations and getting our three dogs fixed up with shots and boarding reservations.
Thanks for all the imput and ideas!

nana