GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bob does a demo
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:

To promote the upcoming Wimberley Arts Festival, the Wimberley Valley Art League asked me to stand in our local supermarket for an afternoon and paint a live demo. Why was I selected out of 200 artists?
(1) My unmatched artistic skill exceeds that of any other member (why it's called "unmatched")
(2) My scintillating personality uniquely equips me to perform in public.
(3) No one else would do it.

So you see, my selection was a no-brainer.

They figured I'd set up a still life but ever the maverick, I decided to paint the Deli Case. My palette knife style was much discussed by the public, "Shoot, Bubba, this old boy can't even draw a straight line. Compared to him, I'm a regular Von Go."

I rose above my critics and suggest to the forum that my Deli Case treatment is, well, better than any of the Deli Case work done by Giotto or Rembrandt. So there.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open

Sam_I_Am
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey, Bob. I quite like it. Its really nice and ambiguous. I can almost see a lunch-meat coffin :P

I understand the public's lack of tolerance for a knife painter in public. I'm raffling off a painting for charity, and have received many choice compliments. My favorite, since I work in a pharmacy, and that's where its hanging, is "Gee... I think I might need a couple percocet before I look at that for any length of time"... :D

On to the seriousness. I think I'd like to see a lighter and warmer color in front of the counter to anchor it to the bottom of the canvas. I think I'd also run my knife across the detailing on the bottom half of the counter and just mess it up a little. Otherwise, its quirky and I like it :)

Corby
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Bob, beautiful sense of lighting within the case. I ran the butcher shop and the deli in a market for about 4 years...this monster looks familiar!

bpc
04-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I opened this and immediately thought of an open casket at a New Orleans night funeral...mmm...the Deli case...yes..now I see it

billmahler
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Well, done TG.
I envy your resolve and I like the result. Not your garden variety deli case, but a good impression of one.
How long did you work on it?
That setting, time and size seems to evoke good things!

bpc
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Bob..I recently designed and templated a tatoo and had it done on my back...can this be shown on WC??

yarddog
04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
....looks good... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2009/182771-eating.gif ...to me....yd

laudesan
04-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Shoot tg, I thought it was an elaborate glass coffin, until I read your commentary.

tgsloth
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
The coffin similarity is clearly a problem. The front of the case is done in heavy set black laminate with stainless metal accents and pull handles. I painted it more or less as it is (my point being I could have found a way to change it) and I get the coffin reference. I've struggled to find a way to convert this into a narrative which could charm a potential buyer and it's not so easy...perhaps, "here lie all the vegies which have lain unclaimed beyond their sell-by dates. Rest in pieces!"

Ah well. Are all Deli cases like this? I don't know, I don't study them. But Corby, jeez, has come out of the closet as a DC expert and can perhaps comment.

To Bill's question, about 2 1/2 hours in the store. I paint, then take a break, drink some diet coke, stare at the canvas, pray for inspiration, and paint some more. When the puppy was quasi dry days later, I set about filling in white scratchy spaces (panel was not toned) and trying to improve the layout of colors as the painting is rather a smorgasbord of color. Maybe another hour in a few sessions.

Tatoo art? Bring it on I say. Some of it's amazing.

laudesan
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I have to tell you, it scared the bejeepers outta me when I first opened the thread. (been a lot of deaths in my family in the last 12 months) I couldn't work out what had happened to the body :-0 I mean all those bits and pieces..

None of the deli cases I have seen look remotely like that thank goodness :-D

Corby
04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Interesting, that is after all essentially what they are...all of the deli cases I have worked with look like that...what you really don't want to see ( speaking of missing bodies) is what probably resides under the bright attractive trays...(not so. I might add, in my clean deli cases)

lastborn
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I absolutely love the "pow" power of this piece. I couldn't figure out what it was either. But I love the contrasts, the texture, the color, the center of focus, etc. I , too think the white lines on the front of the case should be interrupted somehow, with a person, a table, anything. It needs to havesome background or foreground so it is placed in space. The left edge is fuzzy and soft because it is moving away from us, but the bottom line is too clear, too un interrupted, too much.
This is a link to a fabulous artists here in Utah whose work reminds me of your deli case. Rich paint, gobs. highlights, color. http://www.ewbpaintings.com/images.php?cid=1&page=3

yarddog
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
don't feel bad JJ......I first thought it was an aquarium.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2009/182771-aquariumsmile1.gif

tgsloth
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I urge everyone to click Lastborn's link. Then consider the following:

"How can you unfailingly distinguish a man from a woman?" Answer: "A man is able to walk past a shoe store."

But, indeed, the artist is great. I've had a number of people say my stuff (when I'm painting in this style) is a kind of shabby shadow of Wayne Thibaud and I'd sure like to get closer to his abilities.

I continue to enjoy and benefit from the critiques. I was doing this "Deli case in the haunted house" scene to be a little creative but based on the reactions, I think I'll try to do something with the background to make it look like a market. The case is painted wierdly enough.

Spyderbabe
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
I thought it was the lobster pound tank. You know how those guys all huddle together in the corner.
I think a couple of item/price signs in the bg would anchor it for everyone.

Bizkit
04-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I opened this and immediately thought of an open casket at a New Orleans night funeral...mmm...the Deli case...yes..now I see it

.......me too!!!:lol: :lol:

cbcarnell
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Kudos to you for taking the job and putting up with all of the back-seat critiquing! I personally think it would have been a lot of fun watching you paint this!

laudesan
04-30-2009, 03:55 AM
don't feel bad JJ......I first thought it was an aquarium.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2009/182771-aquariumsmile1.gifhehehehehehehehehe

MRSBB
04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
It's awful you have to take all this abuse TG. Well............I thought you had tried to decorate a cake, but no matter it's still a fun painting. I can't imagine being brave enough to paint in front of all the people milling around the Deli. Keep having fun..........Lenore

mooz49
05-02-2009, 05:13 AM
It looks like some kind of lightbox .....perhaps lit by the "Line That God Drew"!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2009/27632-Light.gif

toraman
05-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Great colors and knife strokes. The central warm colors forms a very nice contrast

mackb
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
And here I thot the case was filled with veggies on fire, aided by lighter fluid of course....lolol

I like the lighting in it and the backgournd is nicely vague, but overly busy with texture.