PDA

View Full Version : Twilight

elyisus
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-27-2009/6975_dos_luces.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-27-2009/6975_dos_lucesbyn.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 25 cm x 30 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This looked like a good chalenge to me because of the light.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I still think it needs some perspective adjustment in the buildings on left side, but I feel fine about the twilight rendering and the rest. What do you feel? C&C appreciated.

Ladyred
04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I am confused. You have shadow on the right side (as you view) and yet there is shadow on the left also (mission steeple). At twilight I think the light is strong like the morning sun. I think was is not in shadow should be much brighter and the shadow deeper. More contrast. Your mountains or hills are very round with little color contrast on them. I don't get the blue bridge? I like this painting just needs a little more contrast. We can't appreciate the light without the dark, IMO.

elyisus
04-28-2009, 12:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/6975-twilight.JPG

This was a challenge in which I am trying to paint an extreme light condition (probably twilight is the wrong title, in spanish I titled it "dos luces" (two light) and in the picture (when I was about mid way in the painting) you can see how it actually was, as far as the photo can go. This is a town at 7,000 ft. altitude in a very desert like mountain, then the sun is actually almost behind me, a little to my right hand side and only the tower in the church is getting sunlight and the high hills behind surely. So the town is really ALL in shadow from a hill behind me. The street lights are already on. The challenge for me was to try to convey this extreme contrast. But I appreciate your comment, and yes, I think I still need more contrast, which actually means less light on the town. I think I need to do it again to be able to compare. This is a picture I took there and I want to work the scene as needed in order to have a good painting with those goals I just said. Thanks!!!

LynnDigby
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
The foreground in this (your reference and original WIP) is cool. The color there is a variation of the sky color. The overall lighting that you have here is a very warm sun shining on the distant hills and top of the steeple, and the very cool light on the rest of the scene. This is a terrific idea for a painting, and if you can get that warm / cool thing happening, you've got it.

At the moment, your foreground is too warm for you to get this effect.

elyisus
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot Lynn! I think you gave a very essencial advise. This is a painting I definitely want to get done and will post back when I have a new version. I will keep this as the first trial.
Thanks.

lastborn
04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
I like the basic concept of this painting. ANd I agree that the highlights on the steeple need to be brightened to match or agree with the brightness of the foothills behind. And to contrast with the shadowed buildings. I think the chain link fence is very annoying. Maybe redo with very fine line from a palette knife edge, or lost and found lines, instead of that steady plaid of fat lines. The sky could be improved by having it graduated from lighter to darker or cooler to warmer across the span or even vertically. More change in the saky would be good. Darker darks and brighter brights are needed. I think architectural paintings are difficult because it is a balance of freedom and control, to render the buildings as actual "stand up" structures and yet keep your style loose. Good work.

tbezesky
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I like a painterly effects and composition.