PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Malvasia
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
---as title says, i need your honest opinion.
I tried something different. In a couple of months there will be a religious art exibit and i took the chance to try a subject I have very seldom tried.
I didnt want to copy old masters, but I wanted to keep a feeling of... dont know, Renaissance maybe, or at least eighteenth century art.
Lacking real models, i had to use photos from the net as reference for the main chars, while the setting is inspired by at least two '800 masters.
For the light i studied Caravaggio a lot, but ofc didnt manage to render a 1/1,000,000th of what he could do...
Since i know the fonts, it still looks like a kind of collage to me, so i need a different opinion...
Honestly, what do you think of this?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/49949-MADONNA1_rid.jpg

Madonna con Bambino e San Giovannino.
Acrylics on canvas. 35*50 cm

~~Kathleen
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I do like where you are going with this.
The light is good, and I do like the overall feeling this painting has.

If I may suggest....the bared shoulder is too far forward, and looks very awkward.
I took the liberty of drawing over your painting in Paint for an example. (hope you don't mind.) I think that by repositioning the hair, you would save yourself the problem of relocating the baby/breast and shoulder.
(My opinion only.)
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/92567-madinna.JPG

gaykir
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
The Modonna is less a problem for me. I see it as her gown falling down off her shoulder onto her upper arm. You may need to lok at your shadows on her chest though. The thing that is bothering me is the second child. His right arm looks like an added appendage. The light and shadow isn't working correctly. If the top of his arm is light, then his shoulder should be light too. I think the top of the arm and shoulder should both be light and the arm should darken on the front side as it begins to face downward away from the light just as his chest does. Hope I made sense.

Otherwise I really think you done a wonderful job bringing this to life in a more contemporay style. I love all those wood shavings

Lulu
04-28-2009, 06:03 AM
very very lovely contemporary style! the one thing bothering me was that which Kathleen pointed out, (the woman's right shoulder above the breast) and she's given you a good fix if you want to do that. I particularly like your use of light.
Good luck with the art exhibition.

tonyjazz
04-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi Cristina, this has a very nice appeal and the colors are very appealing. The wood chips are well done and add a lot to this. THe shoulder does distract though and Kathleen's idea is a good one and an easy fix. The other thing that I notice is the colors that appear above what appears to be a wood stove. It has the colors of a fire that might work better inside the stove?
I took the liberty to show you what I mean, another rather easy fix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2009/103497-49949-MADONNA1_rid.JPG

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
HI Christina - a creative and modern take on a classic! - and some very good painting.

While wanting to use some influence of Caravaggio, were you looking at his multiple light sources too? He always made things difficult for followers with his mystical sources as well as actual!!! :lol:

I think, personally, I'd have played on the really strong influence of Cravaggio and made the the background much, much darker and more mysterious, thus focussing attention on the characters and allowing all the details (tools etc) to be illuminated just enough to suggest what they are.

Good luck!