PDA

View Full Version : The delivery

blarkin
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'm always lurking! This is 16x20, in oils, and my second try at tulips. I think they're better than the first batch.

I don't often paint flowers or from life (I did this time) so I'd love ANY C/C you have to offer. I had a hard time with the flowers, as they kept moving around.. heading from the light of my lamp to the window light.. so that was a challenge! thanks in advance for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2009/86145-thedelivery.JPG

marionh
04-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Blarkin,
Love the colour of your tulips and the way you have painted the leaves. Tulips are a difficult subject and yes they do keep moving around - a lot:lol: , I've tried several times and not really suceeded with them at all.
I do have a few comments mostly for future reference as I do like the painting as it is.

I would have liked to have seen less of the background as I think your tulips and vase are sufficient in themselves as subjects e.g. as in this crop
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/42113-test2_mani.jpg

I also have a little difficulty in deciding the direction of the ligting. I assume from the left? In which case I would make the shadow of the vase on the cloth darker and include a little green in it especially as the fold would create additional shadow.
I see you have some blue on the vase from the background, but some blue reflection from the cloth onto the glass would also help to lift it. If you look closely you will see the cloth reflected into the glass.
The small white square is unnecessary - I can't tell what it is and it stops my eye from going back into the painting.
I would also make the tulip on the right fade into the background and go behind the one next to it, at the moment I feel it takes the eye out of the painting. I have a poppy painting that had a similar cross over of stems which I gave away as a present, and every time I see it again I regret I did not change it, although I painted it the way it was I should have used my licence LOL
Oh and lastly (I promise) I would choose which flower(s) are your focal point and bump up the shading and highlights on those - could just be your photo that does not show this very well though.

I hope you don't mind my comments and of course only my opinion. All in all though a lovely painting of a lovely subject and admire the way you have painted the cloth. Two difficult subjects in one:clap: :clap: :clap:

blarkin
04-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi Marion - thanks for your detailed response! I regretted my "crop" not too long into the painting... especially b/c i wanted to do more with the left most flower hanging down. The square is the "little card" that came with the flowers, which i added to stetch the comp. across the painting as I realized i was a little left heavy! The light source is from the left, and i'm sure I do need to pump up the highlights on my tallest flower, as I've chosen that one as the focal (or at least i tried). thanks so much for your suggestions!! i'll be working on it :)

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi blarkin - I too like this work but I have to agree with Marion's assessment, so won't repeat it! :lol:

My only other wee crit is that the colour range of this piece is so tight (blue/mauve/green) that I keep wanting to see a touch or two of a really bright colour just to make it sing! Were there any yellow/orange bits to the stamens?

Mind you, I never paint these lovely flowers from life because of the very probs you mention! :lol:

Nice work - so bring more! ;)

blarkin
04-28-2009, 05:33 PM
thanks for replying Charlie's Mum!

I agree with you both, and have been working on it. I added some other colors, and tried to push back the flower on the table, as well as more define the "card". I hope it's better, at least I like it better, so that's something! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2009/86145-thedeliery2.JPG