PDA

View Full Version : Minnehaha Falls

wdame
04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while. A 9 x 12 on wrapped canvas. It's a going away gift for a friend moving from Minnesota this Friday. Your C & C are most welcome.

Thanks,
Billy

bob matheson
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Billy, Did you paint this from a Photo?You Captured the essence of it but it doesnt have the punch from life.That aside I like the handling of the greens,and you nailed the color of the bridge. The water has movement and i like the way you handled the rocks.What is missing is the strong shadows behind the falls and the break up of water unless it had just rained. I painted it last year so I know the scene.It is a tricky spot to paint as the light dances in the hole. The foreground water is tricky business to capture and you did it well. Perhaps the image does not show all the colors in the water,But the value seems right from what I remember.It is a shame that they are restoring it, I hope it stays as wild looking! Great painting, comments aside,Alot going on for a 9x12 good job on a tricky spot

wdame
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks Bob. Your right, it does need more shadow behind the falls. I painted from a picture.

Like you, I hope they do not destroy the beauty and wildness of the falls during the restoration

Thanks again for taking the time to comment, it is sincerely appreciated.

brushandknife
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
This is very good. I do agree with Bob, it doesn't have the "punch" (I know it is easier said than done). I'm wondering if a bit of warmer color might help make it "glow" more in the light areas. You definitely have nice dark/light values. Maybe "purple" the shadows, "yellow" the lights a touch? But a lovely painting. Your friend will love it I'm sure.
Carol

OkeeKat
04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Another Awesome painting Billy!!
Love the details to the rocks trees and water.. just gorgeous calming scene!

bob matheson
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Bill,It was kind of a shock to see that painting! Here you see paintings from all over but did not expect to see one i was so familiar with! If you go on mnartists.org and type in Minnehaha falls you will see several different renditions. I am sure your friend will treasure this one, Good job

Linee
04-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey, I recognize that place. My hubby and went there when we were dating. Beautiful picture! I love the bridge at the top and the detailing of the rocks.

susme48
04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Well...I don't recognize it, but I would love to be there...alone...with either a good book or my paints!! Beautiful!

cadub
04-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Impressed!

noodle1
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I think it's stunning, you captured the falls beautifully and you can hear the water. I think painting a falls is a bit of a challenge, least for me but you did you did very well with the mass of running water in relaying the strong movement, your friend will treasure this I'm sure. Rocks and foliage beautiful.

Elaine

LavenderFrost
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
A wonderful gift!

wdame
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone. With your help and a few tweaks here and there, I'm calling it done.

mollynix
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I did a double take! Quite arresting!

RPut
05-02-2009, 12:48 AM
This is Great Billy! I'm wondering how come I've never been there? hmmmm. Will have to see about that and will have make this a destination!

bertschikon
05-02-2009, 03:58 AM
It's a great painting - your friend should be very pleased!

gaykir
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Wonderful!