GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Forest in Pink and Black
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16 by 20 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted the board pink and let dry,then applied a black wash.Using a rag I configured the tree trunks and then scratched out the foliage with a pallette knife.My photo doesn't show the pink very well.It is much more apparent in real life.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comment welcome.

Sam_I_Am
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey, bpc. This has some potential to be a very nice piece. At this point, though, it feels a little flat. I think some of the farther back trunks could use a little darkening to create depth. Also, I know that you said that the pink is more vibrant on the board. You might, however, try varying some of the pinks to help you add additional depth.

Good work,

bpc
04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Sam I Am..thanks for your comments..I will work in your suggestions to create more depth.

tgsloth
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Creative concept but more, you've done a masterful job of randomizing the leaves and trunks. This is harder to do than how it seems once done. At 16x20, it's a pleasant painting but if you make it really big, say, 6 by 8', it could be in a museum.

bpc
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmmmm...6 feet by 8 feet..tg...you are giving me ideas..I could plant it in my front yard along side the plywood full size hockey goalie I did for the ball hockey kids in my neighbourhood..they borrow it when no one wants to play in goal..Brian

Corby
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Hmmmmm...in Mexico some houses have fences made of slender stems of an Ocotillo cactus. Inevitably it takes root and they have this thorny 'reed' fence with orange flowers. This is what I am reminded of here...

lastborn
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure what you were going for here, but for my tastes, the trunks are too much approximately the same size, same shape, same value, same everything. Think bigger, littler, skinnier, fatter, darker. etc. Where are the varying angle of the scratchy stems, etc. They all appear at about 45 degree angles to the main trunks and none of them obscure anything, they just stick out like thorns. Is that what they are supposed to be? It's an interesting technique for sure and with some planning to add variety, depth, etc. this could be really cool.
I only criticize others' paintings because mine are so pathetic. It is such a challenge to learn to paint!

yarddog
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
what a cool idea........and it worked......very clever......yd

maqbool
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Good idea, yes I agree it should be on large scale.

cbcarnell
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I was a little disappointed...the title gave me hope that I would be seeing some pink and black flamingoes dancing in the forest... Actually, I like this - it is very stylized, and would look great as a larger piece. Now, back to those flamingoes...