Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
trying to get an early mo<br>ing sense.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
are the shadows too dark on the fairway and green.

allanom
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the shadows are fine. And I think this is a very credible piece that could be improved somewhat -- see my alt. The painting appears to be a tableau in full sunlight so I would suggest a strong, overall, warm yellow glaze to show that. The caddie seems to be listing to the right; I've straightened him up by rotating him 7 degrees to the the left. I think it would be cool to see the golf ball in flight so I've added it in.

Hope this helps.

Allan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2009/4031-golfHoleX.jpg

billmahler
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
This hole and the 12th have probably been painted and photographed more than any in the world, so you have your hands full trying to say something new about them with your painting, and yet I think you have.

I like the way you captured the azaleas. That's a fresh way to paint them. I also like the way you handled the shadows- they're not too dark at all.

Allan's workup fits more with the Sunday PM drama we're usually expecting to see at this hole, but I like the cool morning dew feeling of yours too. (I suppose there's not a time of day I don't like on a golf course.)

This is a great hole on a great course.

Augusta is known for its exclusiveness and its meticulous manicuring. In my youth, those things appealled to me.

In my dotage tho, I've become more partial to public courses like Torrey Pines, or the site of the upcoming US Open- Bethpage Black- where anyone who can come up with 30 bucks and is willing to wait a few hours can tee it up and have at it.

Lots of good painting subjects there too.. maybe you can tackle some.

Keep them coming, Mark

Osteomark
04-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Allan,
Did not even see the listing caddie. Thanks! The ball is exactly where I was going to put it. I wanted light against dark and this works.
Bill, I like the early morning golf with the cooler look and reflection.
Thanks,
Mark

Osteomark
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
It's heading for the pin! The caddie is no longer listing.
Thanks,
Mark

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2009/32048-agusta_13th.JPG

AlliKat
04-27-2009, 06:11 AM
I have been known to swing a golf club in my murky past. I like the inclusion of the ball.

bpc
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I keep looking for the ball...an approach shot with that pin placement has got to be perfect..to avoid the two put...I 'd like to see the ball on the green...not in the air

Sam_I_Am
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I agree that I'd like to see the ball rolling on the green. Its current placement makes it look more like a light hilight, and though its charming, its easily missed. Kudos on this, though. Your palette is beautiful. I think I would just like to see a little more warmth in the green and rough, though.

LynnDigby
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2009/71979-13.jpg

i like this painting! My only suggestion has to do with the sand trap on the left. The edge where it hits the dark would be sharp, I know, but the fact that it is a light thing and against the dark shadow makes it call a lot of attention to it. I'd suggest you obscure that edge with some of the bushes, or blur it there.

I tried to do all of these things in Photoshop to show you what I mean. Also, darkening the shadow under the overhanging bushes and the back of the traps might help to seat them in the ground.

tony1
04-29-2009, 10:08 AM
This was a great piece and the few tweaks you've added have just made it a wonderful testament to a trying hole.

One minor thing that's bothering me is the size of the golf ball, it seems a bit large for the distance from the golfer. Check out the size of the ball that Allanom added I think it's more in line with the appropriate size. Just a thought.

lastborn
04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a problem with the sand traps. The one on the left looks like a bulging rock form to me instead of a concavity. Some of the shade shapes in it need to be horizontalized to show the foreshortening that would happen to their shapes in reality. The green shadow on the green right next to the right sand trap looks like a shrub instead of a shadow. I think it needs less variation of color in it. (This goes for the shadow on the green that is to the left also.) It needs to be more horizontalized (squashed flat) to show foreshortening of a shape on the ground AND it doesn't connect to the shadow in the sand trap, but I assume they are parts of the same shadow form in real life. I also think the ball needs to be on the ground. And the golfer looks like he would be shooting directly back into the painting instead of off to the right. But I don't golf, so what do I know.
This is really moving toward being a nice painting. I love the light on the caddy's white clothes, the contrasting darks above and the light of the green etc.

yarddog
04-30-2009, 02:20 AM
don't golf.......but I love golf courses....lived on one.....this is a really pleasant scene.....
it looks like morning....and I like the ball in the air.........yd
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2009/182771-m-bar-golfswing.gif