PDA

View Full Version : The Walk to Round Lake

Flopka
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2009/26428_walktoroundlake5.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Walk to Round Lake
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
There is a repeated landscape element (branches) that probably breaks "good composition" rules...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in some feedback on the color and composition of this piece. It is fairly complex and I want to know if it works harmoniously or could be improved.

Corby
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
You have actually followed good compositional rules. Paintings that work well usually do, even if it has been done intuitively. This is an absolutely 'fab' painting in every way! I love the cool light that penetrates the forest and the brilliant foliage floats beautifully within it. The balance of cool and warm color is marvelous...

laf.art
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
yes, I think it works beautifully.
I love the fact that you have taken the cools and the warms to the max in this piece

creativechrissy
04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I love the eeriness of this piece, and the misty and blurry elements in places.

You have two focal points, one the person on the path, and two the foreground coloured foliage. The colours are nice and the composition works well.

I feel the foreground could be darkened a little and where the person is adding some of the orange leaves by his feet. Darkening the foreground a little would create more of a "spotlight" to the person, and adding some of the orange leaves would create a better link, and harmony for the eye.

mackb
04-25-2009, 12:08 AM
There is nothign wrong with the composition at all. It looks like the figure is walking into an open door or something. nI like this piese a lot. And nicely executed in acrylics.

cbcarnell
04-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Original, creative and intriguing. Like this one a LOT.

benefactor
04-25-2009, 01:09 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-24-2009/26428_walktoroundlake5.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Walk to Round Lake
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
There is a repeated landscape element (branches) that probably breaks "good composition" rules...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in some feedback on the color and composition of this piece. It is fairly complex and I want to know if it works harmoniously or could be improved.

The canopy of the trees is great, but the path the person is walking on could be improved somehow. It's just like...you spent so much time on the trees and then the path is a big swath of brown. I think it imbalances the painting somehow.

TinaC
04-25-2009, 05:22 AM
I think the figure could be softened a little but I really like the brightly coloured part of this. The oranges and turquoises are very pleasing but perhaps the brown section is a little unfinished looking by comparison. Needs a bit more texture and interest. Overall a very intriguing and unusual piece.

Flopka
05-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I agree that the lower left corner is undefined and some detail should be added. I am inclined toward adding some rocks or branches in shadow. Thanks for all the comments.

yarddog
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
how did I miss such a beautiful scene......I would love to walk in your woods....
I think perhaps I would blue just a little the tree that falls smack in the center of your canvas......
the bright leaves are just genius.....whatever you decide to add....I'd keep that left corner dark...it looks good.....yd

Corby
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I never know if a re-visit is good manners or not...but here I am again with a further observation. I have spent my life running in the woods, and one of the most magical of situations is to be on an upper ridge of land that is lying in greater shadow, approaching a ravine that is flooded with light. That to me is the magic you have totally captured here. I would in my humble (but gabby) opinion, change nothing. Alteration might disturb the feeling?

ReineBlanche2
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
It is magical and beautifully done. I don't think you need to fill in every corner as negative space is important and adds to the sense of mystery. The figure is darker where it is backlit, which is correct. Don't mess with success!