PDA

View Full Version : Dance like no one's watching - #3

nithya_swamy
04-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Continuing with the series of dancers, this one too is 16 * 20 on gallery wrapped canvas. Supposedly done, but I just realized I have swallowed her belly button!! :o The hands in this series are really killing me, this one was no different. I'd greatly appreciate any critiques and areas for improvement.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/3467117299_15786f37df_b.jpg

Your feedback is most welcome.

idylbrush
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Coming along nicely. Great palette. I might ask you to consider the hands...they seem to be a bit on the small side. Gosh, I always hated hands and never seemed to get them right. Really like the way you defined the hair with the yellow/gold/orange color. Nice play of contrasting colors as well.

arl
04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I really like the movement you have captured.

gaykir
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Love the exuberance!

Charlie's Mum
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Lovely expression Nithya - but her right arm and hand need more .......... I know, they're so hard sometimes! :)

susme48
04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
This is gonna be one heck of a series, Nithya!!! All your work will pay off! When it is done, please, please post them all together?? This one is great!!

taibossigai
04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
She looks great! The hands look pretty good to me, the only thing that bothers me is her right thumb - it looks like it's bending down a bit sharply.

I love the outfits on your dancers & the background really works. Awesome series! :clap:

nithya_swamy
04-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank you idylbrush. Hands are driving me crazy!!:( They were actually a little longer, but I thought it was too long and shortened them :D Will check it again.

Thank you Maureen.. Yeah the hands... arghhhh! Faces seem much simpler in comparison :D Will look into it.

Thakn you Arlene, Gayle, Susan and Taibossigai. Sure Susan, will post them as a set when I am done. But "done" looks a long way off with all these hands..

Andun
04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
What a powerful image!!! Yeah Nithya:) this painting is going to be great!!

dances_with_oils
04-24-2009, 09:25 AM
nithya: Have a look here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing/HumanForm/Lesson2/index.html

There are some good tips for working out body proportions.

And if you are at all geeky, then try applying the Golden Ratio to your work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

I'm also pretty sure that somewhere on WC there is an article on drawing hands.

One study you might want to try is drawing your own hand in different poses. Whenever I have a problem with a certain body part, I use my own parts as models and do a few studies. Now don't laugh, but I used to have such a problem with eyebrows. I discovered two things about them that most people tend to treat them as a set of twins and try to duplicate each one the same as the other. Now I look at them not as a set of twins but rather as a pair of sisters. You can get them to look similar but they are not the same. The second thing was if I practiced drawing my own eyebrows on then I quickly learned where the contours and subtle arches were on my face. So now I tend to look at a brow in terms of contours and arches and measurements and proportions - not just a line of hair across a forehead.

One thing you also might want to consider in your study of dancers is that every dance has a means to break down the movements into steps. Every step has a certain position of the body, the head, the feet, the arms and the hands. By studying the steps, you'll quickly learn where to place your hands, arms etc in your paintings and all of a sudden, the body and it's position will make sense.

In capturing movement, part of what makes it appear to be moving is the position of clothing. If the body is moving so are the pieces of clothing on the body. A raised arm will lift the breast and pec muscle up and if covered by a brassiere the cup of the brassiere will also be raised slightly. A good way to watch zillions of metres of fabric moving is to watch some fashion runway shows (we have a station devoted to just that and it's great to watch to form an idea on how fabric and the body moves).

Your series is going to be awesome, I love the colours and what you are trying to achieve.

nithya_swamy
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you Antony.

Thanks a lot dances with oils. You make a very valid point about the dresses also moving with the body parts, makes a lot of sense. Thank you for those links, I will get to this after some time. A break will help me see things better when I get back.