GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The After Dinner Crowd
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Doodling about to stop myself wanting to start another 'masterpiece' LOL Pelicans grooming around the mangroves just after tu<br> of the tide early evening.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All constructive critisism is valued. Thank you.

MRSBB
04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi Marie. It's always nice to see what you are up to. I'm loving the pelicans right up to the tops of the trees. To me the sky is a distraction to the beautiful painting. I know, I know, it's probably just me, but see what others say. Hope all is well in your world.............Lenore

Corby
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
WoW! Greensys you really have a thing with these pellicans! Wonderful work! I tend to love yellow skies, they are so expressive...are they trying to find enough change for the tip?

billmahler
04-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Lots of humor and lightness here.
I like that shrub next to them.
A little more variety in value among them would ratchet this up a notch or two- not too much or it might lose its levity.

greensyster
04-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Lenore - We have to do yellow skies here cos the water is so radiantly blue! :lol: :lol:

Corby - I love the looking for tip idea! We know they have got the bill! :)

Bill - As ever you and the head of nails are together and for my benefit. I have swung around and did as you say and the improvement is pronounced! That 'shrub' is a mangrove which are all up and down the beautiful 1770 estuary here.

tgsloth
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Agree with Bill (nearly always!)
While this is a good job, I felt it was a bit less compelling than your previous knife/bird fest. I think the sky is fine and the issue that bugs me is the close hue relationship between the water and far line of trees. If, for example, the water didn't have all the green in it and was a light tourquoise, I think the issue for me would be resolved. Or if the tree hues got, maybe, duller. If you buy this idea, I've found that knife paintings can take glazes after they largely dry.

mooz49
04-23-2009, 03:34 PM
It's a Mother's Meeting isn't it Marie? :lol: ....beautiful birds and the foreground water is lovely!

yarddog
04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I love everything about this...and with a knife.....I just had my first experience with a knife....
and I'm sure I would have gutted them birds with it....how you do dat?.....hahaha...yd

greensyster
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Bob - you are spot on - those trees worried me but addled brain couldn't think 'what to do' - so have done as you recommended and now looking passable :) No knife work - Mummy said I shouldn't play with knives

Anne - Good title! :) I have done Bill and Bob's fixes and it looking OK now.

yd - No No favourite dawgie - no knife work just me and my trust brushes! And thank you! :)

hward
04-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I too find the yellow sky distracting, it especially competes with the yellow in the tree growing in the water.

I like the lower two-thirds of the painting pretty well, though -- the foreground water is restful and pretty and the birds are vigorously drawn.

American literature holds a short story named "The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky".

greensyster
04-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks Herb! Here is an image of the 'fixed' Crowd! LOL With everyone's help, I am OK with this one now. Sorry about the glare on the far bank of vegetation!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2009/135872-afterdinner_lg.jpg

mooz49
04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I love your update Marie .....it's all coming together now! :clap:

greensyster
04-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Thank you my friend. I am happy with it now. Currently working on....wait for it.... A SEASCAPE! LOL

AlliKat
04-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Nice mixture of warm and cool colors.