PDA

View Full Version : Simmons Beach

artlover55
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2009/142927_Simmons_Beach.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Simmons Beach
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Scene of a local beach.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any

D.W. Flint
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
This is a beautiful painting. I wouldn't change a thing..

MRSBB
04-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Very pretty scene Brian. I would lighten up the rolling hills on the far side. The two trees on the left keep drawing my eye. Somehow to me they just don't set right on this beach scene. This is a very appealing painting and you should be happy with it.........Lenore

mosteller2889
04-22-2009, 11:49 PM
i really like this,but there is always a but....anyway the land in the background seams to be coming foward a bit. I can only suggest to maybe gray the color ....in other words knock down the the vibrant blue just a tad.
in spots the blue almost matches exactly the blue youe have with the umbrella in the foreground......no big deal...I love the painting anyway.

greensyster
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Great flow of sky to foreground. Is that horizon straight? I am fine with the beachside township in background but I am with Lenore on the two specified trees - are they even needed? Lovely work on the sand dune and vegetation.

Corby
04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
A lovely day at the beach! I like the slightly wonky trees! They have character, as if they have grown out of nature instead out of an artists ordered and symmetrical mind. I think you have succeeded in your rather daring asymmetrical composition. I was however wondering what you might think of weighting it just a bit more to the right by extending your foreground clump of grass and asking those beach revelers if they would mind moving their umbrellas just a bit down the beach?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2009/70790-142927_Simmons_Beach.jpg

***:thumbsup:***

artlover55
04-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Many thanks to darrell, Lenore, Mosteller, Marie and Corby. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did remove that wonky tree on the left and extend the beach farther back into the distance and Crby, I took your advice and extended that middle grassy area farther to the right.

Brian