PDA

View Full Version : Carousel

bairam
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2009/2194_Abstract_III.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Carousel
Year Created:
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 15 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Going through some unsucessful pieces I took a second look at this sheet where I had attempted an abstract that I felt didn't work.<br>I had used rice paper glued to wc paper, watercolors, splashed, scraped and watercolor crayons.<br>I had been putting black gesso on another piece of paper, preparing it for an acrylic painting. <br>Felt inspired to do this "calligraphy" on it and after looking at it for days, titled it "Carousel" due to the possible image of a horse and the colors

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it work as an abstract? Or should I just can it?

AlliKat
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
It has an impressionistic look to it. I like the black shapes floating, over what feels to me like a fairground. I get the feeling of a roller coaster, more than a carousel.

ArtisanCo
04-22-2009, 04:10 PM
biaram-Abstract can be hard to crit because it is so subjective. I think you will be very interested if you google "Franz Kline Paintings". As for me, it I feel that limited palette absract paintings are always a safer bet. The more colors you pic and choose the more opportunities you invite for failure. You can use a lot of color, but you have to control it to make it work. Which, sadly, I don't feel you have done here. But I think the calligraphy idea with the bold strokes is something to carry into future works. The best advice I can give you is to look at the work of professional artists of the past. Richard Diebenkorn, Mark Rothko, Frank Stella, or Helen Frankenthaller would be worth looking at.