PDA

View Full Version : A big smile!

nspire2day
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi there, I posted this in wildlife too. Looking for some C&C please!
Am I posting this in the right area? I am pretty much teaching myself
and fortunate enough to get paying customers along the way, I had
a lot of fun painting him, however, the mouth was extremely challanging!
I'm dropping it to her today so any tips before it's delivered would be appreciated :) Thanks!

noodle1
04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Very expressive eyes and I like your style. The only thing I'm thinking is maybe the tongue could be pulled in a bit lower screen left, the edge slope down maybe a little following the curve. Hard angle and the nose seems a little big, edges would seem to be a little more in line with those big teeth..lol
Nicely done tho and these are just my thoughts.

Elaine

susme48
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I know what you mean about teaching yourself as you go! This looks really good detail-wise and the eyes are great!! YOu definitely met the challenge of the mouth in my opinion.

IF it was me, and if you want to...I would soften the edges of his nose a bit (and make it a little smaller, if you measure you will see it is a bit lower near the eyes and a bit further up from the mouth), and lighten it some...and I would grey down the pink of his tongue (especially in the shadows) and mouth, his gums and the purple under his nose. His shoulders are higher which makes his neck look shorter. In the dogs I have done, this is the hardest area for me to get right...in a face on view, their shoulders looks so thin and since they are further back.

Don't mean to sound picky, because you really have captured that smiley look dogs can get, and as I said, his eyes look so alive and alert!! Really if you just worked on the nose, I think you would have it...the rest is just tweaks that I would do.

Wonderful to be selling isn't it!!

purplepansey
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
All I can say is "adorable"!

AndyMcC
04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Very nice, the eyes are really good :D

nspire2day
04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks Susan for the feedback :) I ended up delivering it w/ a few minor details in the left side of the mouth, just no time for the nose. I think I will play around w/ my dog noses a bit more and get away from the outlined cartoony look, I truly appreciate your opinion. I admire everyone on here and am so grateful to have this forum for help! Thanks!!! All in all, the client was happy so that makes me happy :)

Katwyld
04-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, dog noses are hard... they're either too big or two small... it takes some practice (and reworking, heh) to get them just right.

Great expressiveness on the face... that's one happy puppy right there! And happy clients are the really important part. The only suggestion I would make otherwise (and I know it's been delivered, but ya can't learn otherwise) would have been a little more shading to the back of the tongue, inside the mouth, to make it more 'inside' the mouth. Again, that's one of those things that come in time. I know I had a lot of problems with the first dog I painted and had to keep reworking things. Sucks on a deadline.

Your style is good, and I love those eyes!

LavenderFrost
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Very cute and well done! I just would have suggested more shadowing in the mouth.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
i love him better than photo

OkeeKat
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Wonderful, Like your style!!

idylbrush
04-24-2009, 04:24 AM
So, how did it go. Was the client pleased?