PDA

View Full Version : Glass Pond (second) poured fluid acrylic

quinacridonemagenta
04-22-2009, 09:15 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2009/43464-IMG_2094.JPG Glass Pond (second) 36X48" fluid poured acrylic and mixed media. I'm not sure that I'm going to call it glass pond - because I have another one named that from before, so I need a name. I wish I had more time to paint - miss it terribly (I'm a full time student in college - doing this late in life as I'm in my 40s) and work full time.....but this weekend, I had to paint.

Tell me what you think....and if you have any name ideas.
Oh, the textures and subtleties in the pours I do are much more easy to see in the larger image on my blog (link below), click on the photo to see it up close and personal.

Thank you!

purplepansey
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't have a name for your very interesting painting and how fantastic that you can get this almost stained glass, semi abstract look from pouring the paint. I think it's fabulous. How about Stained Glass Pond?

clementine
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
beautiful mix of painting!it's very appealing and I very like!
clem

idylbrush
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Very nice and well executed. I would stick with glass pond but maybe do a -2 so there begins the series.

Great color selections btw.

quinacridonemagenta
04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Thank you so much for the name advice - I appreciate the feedback. Since it is the second in a series, I'm going to name it the way Idylbrush (I'm sorry, I don't know your name) suggested, with Glass Pond, 2: but add something. So it is Glass Pond, 2: Sing So Sweetly. The text is on my blog if you want to read the meaning behind the name (and see the original Glass Pond, which sold straight from my blog page the day I posted it - pretty exciting).

The pours are pretty fun, Purple. Since I was a little girl, I've loved stained glass - so I guess it was kind of a natural progression to incorporate it into my artist work.

Clem, thank you so much for your comments!!

MRSBB
04-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi Jeanette. I just did some watercolor pours and never thought to try it in acrylic. I really like this. Do you see all the hidden imagery? So far I have found a cat, fish, a wolf, seashell, a chicken an elephant. I'm not into abstract, but this one would hold my interest for a long time. Great work.........Lenore

arl
04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Beautiful work and luminous colours.

Charlie's Mum
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Very interesting Jeanette.
How do you do the masking needed for acrylic pours?
Is this on canvas or paper?

quinacridonemagenta
04-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Update: I added a bit more linework to the painting this morning and balanced out the colors a bit. I'm not going to post here the new image but if you want to see it, it is on my blog http://artintheopenair.blogspot.com/

Lenore, I used to watercolor quite a bit in my late 20s and I know that it is that that led up to what I do now. Yes, there is a lot of hidden imagery - which is how I will choose the direction of the painting. Normally, I can start out with a preconceived idea of what I want to do (this one was originally galloping horse across a prairie), but as the pours progress, the painting does much better when I respond to the images it presents rather than trying to force something on it. (the horses were kind of cool though, but I made a choice to go with the landscape - it just practically painted itself in there and the horses ran away).

Arl - thankyou! I wish you could see it in person - as a camera never seems to capture it well enough. Glad that some of it came across.

Maureen - it is done on 36x48 gallery wrap canvas. I don't normally have to do any masking but have learned to manage the layers of subsequent pours enough to be able to get it to come together....its all in how I lay the water on and then I use denatured alcohol which causes a push-pull in the paint.

Think of when you put watercolor on a pre-wet spot on a piece of water color paper - the paint only goes as far as the boundary of the water. The concept is the same - just a little bit more involved. I have to keep the surface as matt as possible for it to work right - which means very very thin layers of pigmented acrylics (I use the fluid acrylics and dilute those down quite a bit). I also have to be very careful of unwanted runs from gravity - so the denatured alcohol can help some (even the slightest dip in the canvas causes this - which is really apparent when you lay the canvas horizontally on the ground to do the pours).

Its all an exercise more in management rather than control....and never let yourself get too frustrated....and respond to the accidents as if the work is talking back at you.

(sorry, didn't mean to write a dissertation).

Charlie's Mum
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
(sorry, didn't mean to write a dissertation).

Glad you did! thank you - it helps the rest of us to understand the nature of a poured work.
I've been reading about them and wanting to try the technique - but wasn't sure how the fluids would respond to the canvas for a pour.

loobyteacher
04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
wow the texture is very intense, I went to your blog and clicked on the piece to enlarge it. It is way more interesting up close!! I really like what you have done in the background, the tree feel and all. Glad you could take a small amount of time to be creative!

quinacridonemagenta
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Maureen, About 3 years ago, I did a work in progress post here in this forum because so many had asked about my technique. I don't remember the name - or know how to search for it. But I'll see if I can find it so you can see a bit more of what I do. Experience is the best way to learn: just get a cheap canvas and start experimenting. Use the fluid acrylics rather than taking down tube acrylics (they don't dilute well). I put them in squirt bottles - about 1/2 fluid acrylic to 1/2 water (some of the fluid acrylic colors from Golden are thicker than others, so its not a perfect measurement).

Thank you Colleen for looking at it from my blog - its all the textures on the canvas that really bring it out!

Artchrispy
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi this is great. There is almost a musical or audible quality to it, if that makes sense. What about Glass Pond 2 - Stir of Echos. You might not want to use "stir of echos" as that was the name of a movie, but something a long those lines like Rouse of Echos or Whisper of Echos

theonoe
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Jeanette,

You do such wonderful work! I went to your blog page and just love everything there, especially the piece entitled "Summertime".

Theo

OkeeKat
04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Very Interesting look, I like it.. looks like your beginning Glass Pond Series!
I agree, kinda looks like a stained glass painting.
I'd love to see how you do your techniques. not sure what you mean by pours. still new to the artworld and not familar with alot of techniques yet.