PDA

View Full Version : Newly Weds

Bright Eyes
04-22-2009, 01:52 AM
MY IMAGE(S):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2009/139098-Ernie-Wedding.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2009/139098-Ernie-wedding-2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Newly Weds
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a commission of my in laws wedding from way back in the day. My sister in law commissioned it. Its from a very old, ruined and falling apart photo. I was experimenting with a technique I lea<br>ed from Tali's workshop.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any critiques are wanted. Just finished it. I'm giving my eyes a break for a bit. I'm going to look at it again tomorrow. Decide if its finished for good then.

kevinwueste
04-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Hey - this is pretty good! to further distinguish between background and foreground, I might get rid of impasto in the background. you might also consider pushing the bg back a bit in value to let the figures glow some more ( by being brighter relatively).

thomas w
04-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Great impasto style. The warmth and emotion really come through in the figures.

greensyster
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
There is such a sense of joy in this work Kimberley!

Corby
04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Ah! At last! A wedding painting that is indeed a celebration!

Bright Eyes
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the comments. I was took Kevin's and Larry's advice on a sketch I did and tried it on a painting. Been working on trying to make my work not look "flat" or like I really used a photograph. This painting is improvement from my previous works. And I'm getting the hang of the concept. I was also trying some techniques I learned from Tali in a workshop I went to a couple weeks ago. What would I do without WC:heart:

Kevin good idea on the pushing the values back. This being such a small painting I think the people really do need to "come off" the background a bit. I think I'm going to change the tone of the sky around their heads from war to cool. There is a lot of yellow in the blue sky around them. Seeing how warm they came out I think I could cool the sky down just a tad. I think that will help too.

AlliKat
04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
This will be a very cherished painting.

yarddog
04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
wow...I love this technique!!....good show....yd

mosteller2889
04-23-2009, 12:17 AM
this painting is great...I am a huge fan of impasto....

MRSBB
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Gosh Kimberly, this is so fresh and alive. Lucky you to get a workshop with Tali. I bet your happy with this painting. It has a ton of energy. I love it....Lenore

Bright Eyes
04-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Thank you all again so much! I've been working with a lot of different techniques and mediums the last couple of months. This is the first painting I've actually finished in two months! But I'm pleased with the results and the dry spell was well worth it in the end.

Lenore living by Tali definantly has its perks!