PDA

View Full Version : Sugar and Spice

jennf
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-21-2009/104086_DSC_0688_100dpi.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-21-2009/104086_samantha_with_flowers_closeup.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sugar and Spice
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I would really appreciate some input about the face in this portrait. I have checked the drawing many times and it is correct, but somehow the likeness is lacking.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The likeness seems to be off, but I cannot establish why. I know that something is wrong, but am unsure what it is is.

jennf
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I just submitted this and chose the "structured critique forum" but for some reason, it posted as an open critique. Maybe a moderator can look into why this happening?

Artlady5
04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I am looking forward to see what it is you have done. It seems to me you have aged her a couple years. This is something I tend to do. I hope someone can help us see why this happens.

LynnDigby
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
What i see is an exaggeration of the value shifts in the skin tones. You have a lot going on that isn't there in her photograph. I'd scumble a light flesh tone over the whole face in a transparent manner to lessen the darks and damp down the lights. Wait until she's dry to do that. If you go too far, you can easily wipe your scumble off and get back to where you started, so it's possible to be more brave in what you try.

The eye on our left is slightly small, and needs to have the iris lightened, and the top lid lifted. The top of her head is too low, but just a little.

I think the ball of her nose, which is very indistinctly shaded, goes up higher than you have it. The shadows beside her nose are so indistinct, they almost disappear.

These are small corrections I see when comparing your reference to the painting. Sometimes a likeness is just a small step away, as I think is the case here.

I think this will be a really pleasing portrait!

billmahler
04-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I have checked the drawing many times and it is correct
How did you check it?
In addition to what Lynn pointed out-
-check the space between her right eye and her ear. There's quite a difference.
- Look at the shadow below her nose on her left side. The shapes are entirely different.
-Check the width of the light area on her nose, between her eyes. It's significantly off.
-Her ears are way off and are distracting.
This is a delightful reference foto, and the colors in her face will be a joy to paint, but you have to get a good drawing first and that means you have to measure to within one millimeter.
Sketching is a good way to resolve drawing problems before you tackle the painting issues.

laudesan
04-22-2009, 01:38 AM
In addition to the above, I would work on her ears more, her left facing ear looks malformed to me. You haven't put the shadows in correctly to read as inner ear.

If you want an exact likeness, change your reference photo to transparent on your photo editing program and save the layer. Then lay it over your painting. Sounds easy the way I say it, and I am sure there is more to it than what I just said, I haven't done this, but have read of other folks doing it.

jennf
04-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi,

When I submitted this, I selected structured critique but for some reason, it posted in the open critique forum instead. Can the moderator please help?

Also, I should have mentioned that I have not worked on the ears at all----they are just blocked in for now.

Thanks,
Jennifer

MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-21-2009/104086_DSC_0688_100dpi.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-21-2009/104086_samantha_with_flowers_closeup.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sugar and Spice
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I would really appreciate some input about the face in this portrait. I have checked the drawing many times and it is correct, but somehow the likeness is lacking.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The likeness seems to be off, but I cannot establish why. I know that something is wrong, but am unsure what it is is.

jennf
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

I think the issue is mainly with the values. As for the drawing, aside from the fact that I measured and measured and measured as I worked, I also printed off a transparency of the reference photo, and physically put it on top of the painting (one the paint was dry, of course! :D ) to see how it compared. Having done that, I can safely say that the drawing itself is not the issue. I like working wet-into-wet best, so may just sit this aside and start fresh.

And I forgot to mention in my original post----I only blocked in the ears, I have not actually finished them.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Mikey
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Jennifer, you're looking good here. Now look not so much as the shape of the feature such as eyes and mouth but the actual head structure, in particular here, the shading and transitions in the cheeks. Then look at the area around the eyes. Do you see that roundness of form above her eyes? If you like I'll paint one of those eyes to show what I mean. There are other things I could point out, but that may all be too much.

kevinwueste
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Jennifer - you have received some solid, right on feedback from some capable drawers/painters.. i reiterate ( photo transparency notwithstanding!) what Lynn D and Bill have said.. my biggest jump out is the nose - it is too long and ages her head a few years ( the technical shapes that Lynn and Bill mention will definitely help).. she has less defined forms on her nose /nasal bone/nasal wings and.. well those are subtle changes.. and it's not so hard to work into a dry painting!! i do it often.. thanks for listening and showing your work.. it's a very solid painting but likeness is in the millimeters!!!!!

-humbly -

kentiessen
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a great pose and a really cute girl!

It is getting close, and as Bill and Kevin mentioned, great likeness is a matter of millimeters. If great care isn't taken during the work in the process, it can sometimes mean moving features that are already painted- this is the case here.

The single most effective change you could make would be to move her eyes down about 1/2 their height. A lot of work now, but necessary to fix her age/facial structure.

Also, the 'above her eye level' pose has been shifted somewhat overall in your work in the subtle shaping of the features.

allanom
04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I always make a point -- and especially when painting children -- to make the eyes slightly larger. Suggest you do that here, plus open up the one on the left slightly and reduce the dark of the lashes and edges of the top lids. (See my alt with those changes made). Oh, and get rid of that heavy duty brick pattern in the background and replace it with some scumbled orange like the seat behind her head.

Hope this helps,

Allan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2009/4031-girlPortraitx.jpg