GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wife at Sunset
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I painted this yesterday afte<br>oon. This is a portrait I've done before. I changed the background on this one and lightend up her features from the former one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything.

mackb
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
What a delightful portrait. She sure looks happy. did she do something illegal??? hmmmm, nicely done. I wonder tho if her skin tones are a too light, because the lightest areas look white. I've made this mistake too.

lonestar
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
your drawing is well done. colors are nice, on my monitor all is well :). the only thing i see first off is - you may want to soften up her left eye a bit, and soften up the inside corner of her right eye as well, round it in let it fade back and then show a small detail of the tear duct..(all of that is very soft).

all in all..great job.
dawn

Ronni
04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Lovely!

greensyster
04-22-2009, 07:18 AM
This is one of the softest, warmest and most natural of your portraits I have seen.

ArtisanCo
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Thomas--I think you did a good job on the portrait. The thing that strikes me as odd is that the portrait looks as if it were pasted on the background. If a figure were standing in front of the sunset they would be dark in contrast. Since your wife is very "lit up" it looks as evidence of a camera flash used to capture the portrait. I think an easy way to fix this situation would be to eliminate the sun itself and "pretend" it is on the opposite side of the sky. Therefore, your wife and the sky behind her would be sunlit. This is only a nuance, but I think it would make your portrait seem more natural. Hope this helps. Chad

yarddog
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
boy howdy wasn't that a good idea.....just move the sun.....
I thought the same thing about the flash....but love the way her face is lit....
nice job.....yd

tgsloth
04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
The temperature of the nearly white highlights on the right side of her face seem significantly out of whack for a sunset scene.

MRSBB
04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi Thomas. Nice to see your family again. I would recognize your work anywhere. You definitely have a signature style. I do think Chad had a good idea of eliminating the sun as it looks to be shining on her face. If you do that You might want to add some highlights to her hair. Keep having fun...Lenore