PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - April 20 - 26

Paula Ford
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello Artists! :wave:

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for pastelists of all levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels, or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you are creating. So get your pastels out, set your timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us.

For inspiration, please visit our Image Library here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

WC Lee
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I gonna start this week off with a small 3 x 4.5 inch sketch on Wallis done in less than half an hour. Reference from the pastel strokes thread :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2009/122017-20090420_pastel_beetle_sketch_3_x_4.5.jpg

rugman
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
W.C.- great sketch, as always! If that little bug only knew how famous he/she is!

Paula Ford
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
WOW!!! The ick bug!!! Fabulous WC!!!

Donna T
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
The Ick bug looks great, WC! I spent just over an hour on this - and didn't even finish the bottom. :rolleyes: It's from photos I took of the barn swallows who made a nest on my parents' porch. If I can figure out how to make the shelf look like a shelf I'll try a bigger version. 7x8 on a Colourfix, acrylic paint concoction on watercolor paper.

Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2009/97763-20090421_0923barn_swallow_WC.jpg

Paula Ford
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
That is a lovely sketch Donna! I love our barn swallows. They nest each spring under our back deck roof.

Scott J.
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice sketches, W.C. and Donna!

rugman
04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Donna- Great sketch of the birds! Paula's "ick bug" could make a good meal for the little ones!

Here are two 5 x 7 's. Both about 45 min. They were done on more of a drawing type paper not intended for pastels. I'm surprised they even turned-out at all. Similar to canson I guess. I making-up some sketch materials more suitable for pastels!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2009/81164-treeskA.jpg

WC Lee
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Donna: wonderful sketch of the barn swallows :)

rugman: nice sketches :)

---------

OMG a second one for the week ..

starting to sketch a little bigger :D this is on 8 x 10 board coated with gesso then colourfix primer, too much texture from brushing the gesso on :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2009/122017-20090421_pastel_tomato_sketch_8_x_10.jpg

Paula Ford
04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Ron, Really nice sketches!! You achieved a lot of realism on that drawing paper. Good job!

WC...yummm! They look delicious!

Donna T
04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Ron, those are both very nice and would make great larger paintings! (The ick bug reminded me of those bird photos!)

WC, Nice tomatoes! I like seeing the texture but I know what you mean about it sometimes being too much - sometimes you have to fight it on smaller, more detailed pieces.

Donna

rugman
04-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Paula, Donna- thanks for the comments. Donna, I am collecting some great photos of the mountains and plains here in Wyoming that would make great paintings- but I feel I need to practice some things first (like trees!). Both of those sketches are from my own ref. photos.

WC- I like the texture look. Sort of like how the canvas look shows through on some oil paintings. Great sketch, I like the lighting effect.

Lynne Vokatis
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
wow everyones got great sketches!have to go back and look at them more closely. just had a look at last weeks....im so far behind. not keeping up with my april goals:confused: .heres backyard plein air 6...from my studio /room window....very windy today. i just cant seem to get outside!!!!22x15 the absolute last piece of watercolor paper....new pastels and paper coming soon:rolleyes: .mostly rembrants and senn's. this is from the very back corner you can see the very end of the pines,my really huge pine and the forsythia bush in the forground.not very sunny today and everything is blowing around pretty good. about 1 hour ,and alot of pastel on this one lol c&c's always......:wave: lynnehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2009/173534-IMG_0459.JPG

Donna T
04-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Well that sure looks like a breezy forsythia to me, Lynne! I don't blame you for not painting outside - wind is hard to deal with! I hope you'll like your new pastel paper - it's so much fun to try new things.

Donna

Lynne Vokatis
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
wc-love that little ick bug!its so nice and loose and painterly.i read an article somewhere about gesture drawing and this seems to have that kind of feel to it.
donna- i love barn swallows too. they like to swwoop over a pond nearby in early evening ,they alomst are like bats.i like your sketch,,its very interesting lots of neat strokes ans swiggles.kind of like the unfinished bottom.neat colors too. how big is this version?
ron- nice quick skteches and colors. i like the one on the left are those aspens/birches?
WC- i like the texture showing through.nice sketch,very realistic.
Donna -thank you.i want to try and go out this afternoon ,but its sprinkling now too.:( i think it looks like a windy picture.
im ordering wallis and those ampersand pastel boards,i think paula uses;) .and found a 80 1/2 sticks plein air set os senneliers for 78.00 on ASW. for the paint out next month. then i want to get somegirault,mount visions and really want to try terry ludwig....better go back to work...lol. i looked at the unisons in my art store but they look very very soft and look like would crumble easy....anyone using them?

Donna T
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Lynne, if you can buy a few Unisons I think you would like them. I've never had a problem with mine crumbling. The few Senneliers I have are very crumbly but I've heard the half sticks are better. Let me know how you like your new set - I love the colors in it and have been tempted to try it. My bird sketch is 7x9 - if I can do a better job on the mud nest I'll give a bigger version a try. It figures, I can make mud without trying in all my other paintings! :lol:

Donna

scall0way
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
I have not done any sketching this week, but I've loved looking at everyone else's sketches. Great work, it's such fun to see what other people accomplish.

rugman
04-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Lynne- great sketch! Its very windy where I live and I've tried to capture wind in some of my paintings, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think you did a great job at creating movement and painting wind!:)

rugman
04-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Lynne- oops, forgot to answer your question. Yes the sketch on the left is aspen. I spend a lot of time in the mountains in the fall. One of my favorite places has miles and miles of aspen, and aspen mixed with spruce and pine. It is very beautiful, hopefully I can capture that beauty in a decent painting sometime!

Judibelle
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Sketches this week!
Ron...really like the looseness of your style
Lynn...you too....looks so bright and breezy.
Donna...your bird is so nice.
WC...the ick bug is really good. As is your fruit picture...tomatoes?
I finally got to do one today...plein air, the brook down below my house. actually sat out on the deck to do it. Didnt capture the colors terribly well, but things are starting to look green.
About an hour, give or take a few interruptions...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2009/103700-scan0008.jpg__Pleinair_brook.jpg
C&C always aprreciated....
JB

Donna T
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Nice plein air sketch, Judibelle! I don't care whether you captured the exact colors or not - this looks and feels like spring and that's what matters! You have a lovely view from your deck - I hope to see more like this.

Donna

WC Lee
04-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Lynn: great sketch, you captured the feel of the wind

Judibelle: wonderful plein air sketch, I agree with Donna that the correct colors isn't entirely important as long as you captured the feel of the weather.

--------

okie .. another and last one for the week :) done on somerset with a coat of clear colourfix primer, 6 x 8

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2009/122017-20090426_pastel_jalapeno_sketch_6_x_8.jpg

Donna T
04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice one, WC! Are you going to put all your veggie sketches in frames? They would look awesome in a kitchen gallery!

Donna

rugman
04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Judibelle- great sketch with a great sense of atmosphere and color. I'm jealous of all you who are enjoying green plants and nice weather. It was snowing when I went to bed last night. Melted right away- but still!

WC- another great one. Like your food theme you got going and your "painterly" stlye.

WC Lee
04-27-2009, 05:17 AM
thanks Donna :) nah .. I haven't framed any of my pastel sketches and rarely any paintings.

thanks Ron :) I have been trying to avoid blending with my fingers (especially on the Wallis) ... I like my skin the way it is :D

Anyhow, I guess I lied .. did another sketch this week on a piece of recycled 6 x 8 wallis :) made the mistake of washing it :D it was all bumpy after it dried.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/122017-20090427_pastel_landscape_sketch_6_x_8.jpg

Lynne Vokatis
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
ron - thank you! its hard to creat motion without it just looking blurry.
you have beautfull trees and the woods sound gorgeous!!
judi-thank you. and your sketch looks great. very springlike colors. i agree with donna about colors,i really like the feel of this.i know how you feel....finnalyy getting green here too.
wc-thanks and i love the little pepper and landscape,nice and loose style.your veggies would lookgreat framed as a little series!or in a triple or quad matt in one frame too. you should frame,they are good!!!that was a great idea donna:)
getting ready for next week....wait lol it is next week:confused: lol lynne