PDA

View Full Version : Down town San Francisco

Tripod
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Based on an oil by Erica Pollock who was a finalist in The International Artist mag, Sept 2007 in the Favourite Subject category Challenge 40. Titled Downtown, San Francisco.

Done at my mate Paintpot's lovely studio today fortified by salmon sandwiches and cup of tea from his lovely wife, whose b/day it is on Wednesday. Happy birthday Wendy.

Mixed media but mostly acrylic on Langton 140 NOT. Loose drawing in unfixed charcoal. Pieces of newsprint stuck on with deliberation and randomness. Blocks of colour using 4 colours of acrylic ink plus white gouache. Lines using edge of business card and bulldog clip (forgot my old credit card) dipped in Nutbrown W&N ink (ran out of India Ink). Added colour with blackboard chalk, charcoal and soft pastel. Oh and I borrowed some of his red ink as mine had dried up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2009/62415-DowntownSanFrancisco.jpg

idylbrush
04-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I do like the feel of this.

What is the size, substrate and are you planning to varnish this work or put it under glass.

I was at a show where someone had used pastel over acrylic and they never fixed the surface and during the exhibition, through drafts, touching, etc. the pastels slowly disappeared. Something to think about.

roadrunner4
04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I think your painting captures the Spirit of San Francisco.
busy,colorfull,bright,with blue skys. roadrunner4

nurciuoli
04-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I enjoyed your description of the work & media you used as much as I enjoyed looking at the piece. Great work!

Tripod
04-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks Nanci, idyl and roadie. It was fun doing it, although I was tight with the glue and some bits of paper are not sound. It is on 140 Langton watercolour paper, something like 45 x 35cm in size. It is not likely to be framed or even mounted and will go into experiments portfolio. Not really suitable for exhibition. Lots of defects, for instance the two white bright eyes dead centre in the sky. A bit of dry paper left without ink. I could always draw in a plane as if its headlight were on.
If I do use pastel or whatever and intend to frame behind glass I do fix. There again, some pastellists ( I am not one, it was just to hand) argue against fixing. What do I know?

arl
04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Beautiful work.

Tripod
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks arl.

OkeeKat
04-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Fantastic cityscape!! realy shows a busy city! like your description of how you used what was on hand to achive the look you wanted! Quite unique!

Tripod
04-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks Kathie. It's a process that gradually appears from the paper almost too slowly for my usually swift and impatient approach. Takes some getting used to.