PDA

View Full Version : Oldies & Goodies Apr 18 to May 1-PRENDERGAST

trafford
04-18-2009, 09:15 AM
The artist for the next two weeks is:

MAURICE BRAZIL PRENDERGAST 1858-1924-American Impressionist Painter

Prendergast is one of my favorite artists. At the Boston Museum of Fine Arts they have a small room with several of his paintings and a chest crafted by his brother Charles. A nice place to sit and rest.

Though I like his oil paintings, I really love his watercolors.

Here are some oils....

.....and watercolors

There are lots more in http://www.mauricebrazilprendergast.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Prendergast

Hope you will try a little Prendergast...copy, create, choose other images or just read about him.

Enjoy :heart:

trafford
04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Maurice also did a lot of monotypes. Here are two that I swear are oil monotypes, but are listed as oil paintings.

I may try one of these, as I love printing.

Here is what he had to say about his method:

Maurice Prendergast (1859-1924) who was influenced by Japanese prints, described his way of making monotypes to his student and friend Esther (Mrs. Oliver) Williams, in a letter which was to instruct her:
"Paint on copper in oils, wiping parts to be white. When picture suits you, place on it Japanese paper and either press in a press or rub with a spoon till it pleases you. Sometimes the second or third plate is the best."
The writer Van Wyck Brooks related an account of Prendergast's procedure, told to him by the artist's brother, Charles: "He could not afford a regular press and his quarters in Huntington Avenue were so cramped that he had no room for a work-bench. So he made his monotypes on the floor, using a large spoon to rub the back of the paper against the plate and thus transfer the paint from the plate to the paper. As he rubbed with the spoon, he would grow more and more excited, lifting up the paper at one of the corners to see what effect the paint was making. The clattering of the big spoon made a great noise on the floor; and soon he and Charles would hear the sound of a broomstick, pounding on the ceiling below. That meant the end of the day's work."

:angel:

gakinme
04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you, trafford, for these links. This is the first time I read about him. Perhaps I would try some watercolor or acrylic after all. One of my weakest areas.

trafford
04-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi, gaknme.....Please try a watercolor/acrylic or any other medium that you like. There are lots of images in the links that are less busy, or you could do a portion of a painting. Whatever you like. :heart:

gakinme
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Here is my first one. I have been practicing on girls and people these few months and they come easily but I don't really know how to color in watercolor. You could see puddles here and there.

I used Loew Cornell watercolors and Canson watercolor paper 9x12 inch. The black outlines are done with my Japanese brushpen with felt nip.

I'm also not sure why in this painting, the artist did not have specific shading. Perhaps it's overcast where the girls are standing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2009/86669-wc_girlspendergast.JPG

heinzog
04-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I really think you have captured the spirit of prendergast,gakinme!!!!

trafford
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Gacknme, you do have the spirit of Prendergast in your painting. Don't worry about puddles, I think they are supposed to be good.

Heinzog, there is something about you that seems familiar. :lol:

azulparsnip
04-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Trafford - Maurice sounds like a versatile guy .......I've just begun messing with monoprinting. I love the way it looks, it is like getting a- prize- from- the- gumball- machine type thrill. He has great depth in his oils. I like the way the umbrellas ooze over the bridge into the background.
I hope to get one or two done this week. Thanks for sharing this artist with us:)

gakinme
04-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Thank you, heinzog, Janet, for your comment. Now that I look at it again, I like the bright colors a lot too.

azulparsnip
04-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Sandra - ack!!! I thought I commented on your ladies at the beach....I like all the body language and the way it feels like they are UP on the sand with the wind blowing

azulparsnip
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
a little study I did last night - watercolor and ink (private reserve-chocolate)

trafford
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Azul, I thought the umbrella painting would be hard to do, so much going on, but you captured the flow and feeling very well. Really nice.

My drawing space seems to have been taken over by stuff that should be sorted, a big pile of old drawings and son's many notebooks. As soon as I clear off a corner I'm going to try a monotype with my never used water soluble oils.......Wish me luck :rolleyes:

gakinme
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
ooh, Janet, I would love to see what the water soluable oils do. I have read about it before.

Robin, thank you for your comment. Very nice chocolate color ink. It's the first time I heard about it! Good wet feel to your piece!

artbyjune
04-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Lovey work, Sandra and Robin. Prendergast looks interesting. Not sure if I will be able to join in with practical work, but I will try. I have been feeling lethargic lately...maybe due to the weather..we are expecting rainstorms today...which may clear the heavy air.

gakinme
04-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Thank you, June. Hope the rain will pass soon and you would be more energetic.

Yesterday, I went to the art store and for the first time noticed there is a color called chocolate by Derwent pencils. Now I'm tempted to buy it and try chocolate drawings. I love dark chocolate in real life.

azulparsnip
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Trafford - I am so looking forward to the monoprint. I hope to do one this week, maybe. I also want to do a larger rendition of the umbrellas.
I must say though that I rather dislike the" message" of the piece. I felt like he demeaned women in that they are so abundant and somewhat formless. I mean how many times have you seen that many women wandering around, in large groups......but I'm not really inscenced or irrate just a little put out.

trafford
04-26-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't know about demeaning women. I think it was more design then message. He never married, so maybe he never saw a woman's form.:lol:

Going to work on the monotype tomorrow, when I'm alone in the house, and undisturbed.

Janet

azulparsnip
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
hum, seems I need to read his bio.....(I'm to it now) ....I guess that would account for him feeling surrounded by a sea of women, like the young man in the center of the painting.

azulparsnip
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
quote from wikipedia--He was a member of the 20th century group of American painters called The Eight, whose members included the group's leader Robert Henri, Everett Shinn, John Sloan, Arthur B. Davies, Ernest Lawson, George Luks, and William Glackens.

Had not heard of this group of artists. Some of these artists may be added to our list.

trafford
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Robert Henri wrote "The Art Spirit" which is still read today. I really like John Sloan's work. http://www.artchive.com/artchive/s/sloan/sloan_election_night.jpg

Prendergast's work was a little different then theirs I think. More of an impressionist, while the others were more 'real life painters' The Ashcan School.

From what I understand from reading about him Prendergast was a very quiet, unassuming guy. He does paint women a lot but I don't think he means to be demeaning in any way. :heart:

trafford
04-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Azul. after what you said about the Umbrella water color painting, I went back and looked at Prendergast's body of work and find that there are many women painted with form and beauty plus men, as well. My choice of this particular piece was based on the fact that it is the best known, though not my favorite.

Well anyway, back to the drawing board :heart:

artbyjune
04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/106623-Sunday-Morning--Paris5k.jpg

I'm having a bash at this one.:thumbsup:

arnoud3272
04-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Sandra -
You succeeded very well in obtaining a nice airy feel.
Robin -
I like your personal impressionist style.
June -
I like your choice, look forward to seeing your artwork.

Here is my contribution after Prendergast, "Little Bridge - Venice", pen and ink, watercolor pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2009/142886-Bridge--Venice.jpg

Thanks for looking

trafford
04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Arnoud, Absolutely charming :)

artbyjune
04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2009/106623-sundayd1a5kb.jpg

Here's my study-copy of the Prendergast...3 little girls. I enjoyed doing this because it was so loosely handled. That was fun.

Not a true copy...I left out one of the figures. I thought it made it a bit busy. ;)

azulparsnip
04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Trafford - thank you for your sensitive comments. Yes, from what I read MP was quiet. I know he may not been harboring bad feelings. Perhaps women mystified him. I know men mystify me. They are soooo different. It may have just been some latent insecurity in me. Entirely possible.

arnoud - well done, I like the airy feel, good on the perspective too

June - that DOES look like you had fun. What a warm, happy scene.

artbyjune
04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Arnoud, I love your bright and clear rendering of this view. The ink lines are very well done.

I think Prendergast was a bit obsessed with umbrellas...they appear such a lot in his work!!

eyepaint
04-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Sandra - love the spring colours in yours

Azul - yours reminds me of the scavenger hunt challenge to draw using coffee!! Love the vibrant yellows and reds popping out here and there. Feels wet and rainy.

Arnoud - fun ink and wc piece :)

June - stunning study of the girls!

Here's my contribution. Digital pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2009/96240-apr_classical.JPG

Cheers,

artbyjune
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi EP, Lovely colours here. And there are those umbrellas again.

gakinme
04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, Arnoud, a very nice piece there. So much details especially the bridge! Thanks for comments.

June, very neat sketch. Good lighting there.

EP, thanks for comments. Very colorful rendition!!

arnoud3272
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks everybody for your appreciation and encouragement.

June - Warm colors, I like how you changed the composition.

EP - Nice colors, I like how you guide the viewer by that soft focus effect.

Cheers,
Arnoud

trafford
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Finished my monoprints, just have to wait for them to dry a bit before posting. I really like working with water soluble oils, but need to practice when I use them for prints. One, the paint was too thin and the second one a little too thick. I'll get them up here tomorrow.

June , love your study of the girls and eyepaint, I don't know what digital pastel is but it came out very well. Arnoud your bridge is full of the movement of a city bustling along.

Not only do we have MP going umbrella mad, but a lot of his ladies don't have any faces :confused:

eyepaint
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
June, Sandra, Arnoud, and Trafford - thank you :) :) :)
For the digital pastels, I was drawing using Corel Painter Essentials and there are different media listed available for use, from watercolour to oil paint. I chose pastels :)

Cheers,

azulparsnip
05-01-2009, 12:04 AM
way to go EP - really looks like a humid mingling spot, umbrellas and all!

azulparsnip
05-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I've got another take on the umbrella/bridge parade drying......hope to post it tommorrow!!!

trafford
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Here's my attempt.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2009/42757-redhat.jpg

and the original.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2009/42757-Woman-With-A-Parasol-large.jpg

and........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2009/42757-pinkgirl.jpg

and original...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2009/42757-Head-Of-A-Girl-with-Roses-large.jpg

My girl in pink looks a little more like Toulouse than MP, but I'm still playing around, and yes, another umbrella :heart:

artbyjune
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I think these are beautful, Janet. Oil monoprints look great.

artbyjune
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
As for the lack of detail in MPs faces...that attracted me to the one I did. Thought it made it easier to concentrate on other things. Amazing how we can read a face even when its not there!! Figure studies can get away with lack of facial features...

azulparsnip
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Janet - well done, I like the way you worked in details on the faces. Kinda brings me to some questions I have .

Here is the umbrella and bridge (14" X 10 ) in two halves ----I've finished and yet I think it lacks alot of detail. I like the little details I can see of the underdrawing pencil marks but not sure about going in with apen and drawing them in......perhaps in the foreground this would be best......what do you and June and anybody else have to comment on this.

gakinme
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Janet, I like the lady in the umbrella. The sweeps of her dress is very good.

Robin, I like your paintings as they are now. Soft and easy going. The pencil markings I think are already good enough to give them definition. I have come to appreciate more and more pencil markings in a colored piece. They all looked eager to head somewhere.

trafford
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Azul, I too like the paintings as they are...soft and flowing. I think a pen might be too harsh....perhaps you could use a little darker pencil here and there if you are unhappy with the detail, and if you don't like it you can always erase it. They are very Prendergasty. Just lovely :clap:

azulparsnip
05-04-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks Janet and Gakinme - and thanks Janet for hosting.

artbyjune
05-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Please leave them as they are..they are beautiful, Robin!!

arnoud3272
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Robin -
Very nice :clap:. I like the rhythm and the spontaneous quality. Don't touch it. There could be some discussion on the merits of more pen details, but in my experience it is not a good idea to add them as an afterthought. It kills the spontaneity.

My current study subject is portraiture, so I was inspired to try this impressionist portrait. No umbrella in this case :lol:.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/142886-Young-Girl.jpg

Pen and ink, water color pencils; after

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2009/142886-Portrait-Of-A-Young-Girl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

artbyjune
05-06-2009, 02:21 AM
A lovely study in portraiture, Arnoud. It reminds me of Cezanne. Especially in the white top of the outfit. Do you like Cezanne's work?

arnoud3272
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
June - Thank you for your encouragement. Yes I like Cezanne, look forward to the coming project on him.

Cheers,
Arnoud

gakinme
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Arnoud, very nice rendering! I like the colors you used and you maintained the pensive mood for her! Very good expression!

arnoud3272
05-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Thank you Sandra

Cheers,
Arnoud

azulparsnip
05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Arnoud - I like all the subdued colors - somehow this reminds me of that Mexican female painter-Freida Khalo's self portraits.

arnoud3272
05-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Thank you Robin, I liked very much to participate in this project.

Cheers,
Arnoud

trafford
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Lovely little girl Arnoud. I noticed this portrait when I was looking through MP's work and was very drawn to it......very nice picture and it is a lot like Cezanne......Janet

arnoud3272
05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Thank you, Janet, for your kind words - and for hosting this thread. I enjoyed it very much.

Cheers,
Arnoud