PDA

View Full Version : two bit room

Chia
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I forgot to post this one after asked for advice on some revisions on the critique forum. It's a redo of a painting that I did over a year ago. Mostly I worked on the window area which was previously covered with a rather poorly painted blind. I also moved the radiator, but am still undecided on its placement. I wanted to keep it in there to give an indication of the era of the room. The option to add the ashtray & cigarette is somewhat contentious and I'm not trying to promote cigarette smoking, but again, I thought it added to the atmosphere and indicated that someone was nearby. (I do love a narrative!) I welcome any critique by you all here too!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2009/137335-twobit_room.jpg

gaykir
04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
I love everything about this! It looks like a chair my grandfather used to sit in when I was very small - and yes, he would have been smoking. Love the detail outside the window.

Bravo Coralie!!

susme48
04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I remember this....I like it!!! I remember how comfy those chairs were too!!

AndyMcC
04-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Very nice, I really like the blending of colours you've done on the walls and floor. The chair looks like the one I'm sitting in now :D

edtree
04-18-2009, 07:04 AM
:wave: Love the look and feel of the good old days here, Coralie! The burning cig does gives the painting life - it was a great addition to the original! About the radiator...I Believe a housewife from this period would have put the chair directly in front of it to try and hide it somewhat, so that looks exactly right. The backs of those old over-stuffed chairs had quite a bit of lean though. I'm thinking maybe the chair would be a little more forward from the radiator so that it wouldn't be actually touching it. Not sure if it's feasible to try and move it (back) or the chair (forward) at this point, and really, if you wouldn't have mentioned it, I probably wouldn't have even noticed. :D

Elizabeth

arl
04-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Wonderful work and atmosphere.

OkeeKat
04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Love the look of this one too!! does show the era, great details. Just perfect!

sashntash
04-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Beautiful !!!

The chair, the green curtain, the sheer curtain (wow !!), the rug, the walls, the window, the ashtray and cigarette - all beautifully rendered.

Love it !!!

It reminds me of my great-grandfather's house. I sure do remember those old radiators. I do think the chair would have been pulled out a little bit from the radiator to prevent it starting a fire... but that's a small nit-pick ..... of a beautiful painting !!!

LavenderFrost
04-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice work!

Charlie's Mum
04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Actually, looking at the space between chair and radiator/wall, I do think there is sufficient for the chair not to be touching the rad. I think the reason it appears so is because there's light catching the radiator and visually bringing it forward.
I thin I'd be inclined to add a wee highlight (soft) to the wooden foot of the chair at the back. this would also help the eye come down and round again to the front. JMHO of course! :)

Each part is so well painted Coralie - it evokes lots of memories! :D