PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with velour paper?

Lisa Fiore
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi! I want to (try to) do a pet portrait as a gift for my sister, and I've really enjoyed the animal portraits I've seen in the pastel gallery done on velour paper. I'd like to try it, but I'm very hesitant as something tells me this may not be the paper for me (I'm pretty hard on paper and rework things a LOT!!) Could you please tell me your experiences with the paper (good or bad) or could anyone direct me to a thread that talks about this? Thanks so much!! :)

Lisa

DAK723
04-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Here are a few threads I found using the search feature. I love velour (as most of you probably know by now!). There seem to be many different reactions to velour, but in my experience it works best with mid soft pastels. Hard pastels don't work well, and personally, I find that the very soft ones are at greater risk of falling off! I have used Giraults, Mt. Visions, Rembrandts without problems. Many folks prefer suede to velour though they have some similarities. One difference is the price - suede is much more expensive!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430260&highlight=velour

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491296&highlight=velour

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514058&highlight=velour

Hope these help.

Don

Lisa Fiore
04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes this helps!! Thanks Don!

IndigoRed
04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I used to use velour primarily when i pastel painted a few years ago. I loved it.
There is a professional on youtube that i used to follow (before he was on youtube) who works on velour only. here is a link to him actually painting a portrait:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K74iRJ-ot-M

He is an awesome portrait artist, and he makes his own pastels (HUGE) to compensate for the amount of usage.

Another artist is Leslie Harrison who is fabulous, and does excellent animal portraits mostly on velour, her book is very informative.

The one downside that is mentioned about velour is the erasing issue. Which if you use blue tack its not that much of an issue. I used to use cans of air, had to be extremely careful, but i was also an airbrush artist so controlling the can wasn't to hard.

Here is a couple of my velour paintings:

The tigers on the russett looking background were done on suede matt board, almost like velour but the backing is stiffer. Oh and these pics are of them in the unfinished stage lol, couldnt find the finished versions, my family jacked them when i was done :rolleyes:

mersonh
04-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Hello,

I use velour exclusively for pet portraits and really love it. I haven't yet found a paper to beat it for depicting fur.

But, it is quite unforgiving. I haven't found a way of erasing mistakes entirely and the only way of getting around this is to re-work areas with more layers of pastel.

The pastels I use are Girault for the underlayers and then Nupastels and Faber Castell Polychromos for the rest. I sometimes use pastel pencils for the eyes but the pencils can be quite scratchy on the paper.

One word of warning. When you are sketching on your portrait, be very light handed because the pencil marks seem to show through the layers of pastel!

Hope this helps

Hannah
x

dbjs
04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
I am a Velour lover! I do lots of portraits and animals on velour and for me there is no other paper than velour for those things.
Yes it is very unforgiving but you can do loads of things on this paper.
I have made some videos of me painting on velour paper, you can see them here:
www.youtube.com/pasteldbjs

I hope this can help you. Oh and when working on velour it is often a good idear to work bigger than you would on a normal paper.

Lisa Fiore
04-18-2009, 12:18 PM
IndigoRed--I love your tigers!! Thanks for the link and helpful advice!

Hannah--Thanks for commenting!! Does the velour hold many layers as compared to a sanded paper like colorfix? Which brand of pencils do you like and which were scratchy?

Dorte--Wow!! I am blown away by your talent! Your video is incredible! You make it look so easy and the painting is absolutely breathtaking. You say to work larger--what size was the painting in the video? Which pastel pencils do you prefer? I really enjoyed your video. Thank you for posting that!!

:)

dbjs
04-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Thank you Elizabeth, I'm very glad you like my video.
The one you saw with the snow leopard cubs is very large, it's 50x 70 cm. But I usually work in 30x40 cm which is my preffered size.
My favorite pastel pencils are a combination of 3 brands.
Derwent pastel pencils
Faber castel Pitt pencils
and Van gogh pencils.
I mainly use pastel pencils on velour because I love to do details. And with pastel pencils I can control all the little details. :) I hope this can help you. If you do run into something with the velour that you think I can help you with, send me a PM and I'll try to help if I can. :)

IndigoRed
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Hello dbjs!

I have watched your videos....a lot! I love the monochromatic horse! Very beautiful!

dbjs
04-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Thank you Indigo :)

Lisa Fiore
04-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks so much, Dorte. (I may take you up on your offer!!:) )