PDA

View Full Version : horse portrait

Kathrin G.
04-17-2009, 11:56 AM
I am a newcomer to acrylics. I spend a little more than a year and a half learning how to draw with a pencil.
The MTM Tree and Foliage classroom got me trying out paint for the very first time, now I am hooked :lol:
This is one of the stallions from the stud farm where I am working.
I found it very hard to find and mix the right colours, but over all I am not too unhappy with this.
I can see lots of things I wish I could do better, but I guess only practice and time will tell if I ever get there.
C+C is very welcome and appreciated. Be as blunt as you like. That's how I learned how to draw, now I am hoping it will help me to learn how to paint.

12 inch x 9 inch on Gesso primed pastel board, W&N Galeria paints
the scanner chopped a bit of the top of this, sorry :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2009/113357-choisir3.jpg

susme48
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Kathrin, all I can say is I wish I had a sugar cube!! He is gorgeous, IMO!!!

Lady Carol
04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
What is not to like about this at all? This is really good. I can see you have paid a lot of attention to details. The eye is excellent, perhaps a little too front on for the profile but I am being picky.

gaykir
04-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Of course you already know I love it! From the eye to the velevt nuzzle - it's gorgeous!

Kathrin G.
04-17-2009, 05:20 PM
thank you Susan :wave: He would love you for the sugar cube ;)
thank you too Carol :) being picky is fine with me :thumbsup: I asked for C+C and I am more then glad to get it too :) I will go back and check it out.
Thanks Gayle :D much appreciated :)

Charlie's Mum
04-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd say you've already learnt pretty fast Kathrin.
It's very good!

~~Kathleen
04-17-2009, 07:39 PM
This is the finest Animal portrait that I have ever seen.
The realism within is astounding.
~~Kathleen

AndyMcC
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, this is stunning :D

edtree
04-17-2009, 08:28 PM
:wave: This is an exceptional painting Kathrin! You've probably learned to paint, and paint well, faster than I've ever seen! Personally, I don't see anything in need of changing. Next one, perhaps a bit more elaboration on the background, but I would NOT if I were you, go back and do that now.

You were born to draw and paint. Very evident in everything of yours I've seen! It will be a pleasure to watch you soar! :clap: :D :clap:

Elizabeth

noodle1
04-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Kathrin, this is absolutely stunning and I will add to Elizabeth in saying I've never seen anyone take off with painting as you have, a natural in every way.
Definitely born with a great gift!

Elaine

Kathrin G.
04-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Maureen, thank you :) I am learning and having fun :D
Kathleen, you are being waaaaaayyyyyyy too kind :o but thank you all the same for it :)
Andy, thanks :wave:
Elizabeth and Elaine, I want to thank you both from the bottom of my heart :heart: Elizabeth, it was your enthusiasm what got me trying my paints and Elaine, it was your encouragement what got me posting. You are angels in disguise.
I guess the year and a half of learning how to draw might help me learn how to paint now. And of course all your invaluable help and encouragement :)
Elizabeth, I wont go fiddling with the background, but I would love to hear your ideas on what I could have done with it.

tonyjazz
04-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Very well done! Your 1 1/2 years of drawing has paid dividends. Your color blending is superb. You are a natural for painting,,,,,,,,,,,,,TJ

arl
04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Beautiful and wonderful detail.

OkeeKat
04-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Gorgeous Animal and you have realy captured him!!! Love it!!

Li'l Brown
04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Whoa, this is sooo good Kathrin! The shadowing of the jaw/neck area and the life in that eye -- remarkable! Well done :D

LavenderFrost
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Excellent!

bertschikon
04-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Very well done. If your'e hooked please stay hooked and post some more horse portraits. For someone who is new to drawing and painting this is remarkable.

Kathrin G.
04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Tony, thank you :) Yes, I think the drawing is helping a lot now.
Arlene, thank you very much :wave:
Kathie, thanks :D I love your cow / calf paintings :heart:
Jesslyn, thank you very much :) :D
Michelle, thanks :wave:
Doug, thank you too :) Yep, I am hooked :p I think I got my next reference photo already on my camera, waiting to make it to the computer and onto the painting board next :wink2:
Lets hope this one was not just beginners luck :lol:

susme48
04-18-2009, 07:02 PM
you are being waaaaaayyyyyyy too kind

I don't think anyone is being 'kind', other than in the nicest way! This truly is good!!

Elizabeth and Elaine, I want to thank you both from the bottom of my heart :heart: Elizabeth, it was your enthusiasm what got me trying my paints and Elaine, it was your encouragement what got me posting. You are angels in disguise.

Amen to that!! There are alot of other angels in here, who go out of their way to encourage we who are beginners....and I think I can speak for many, when I say how very much it is appreciated!!!!!

Kathrin G.
04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't think anyone is being 'kind', other than in the nicest way! This truly is good!!

I know what you mean :) and it really is very sweet :heart: It makes learning and posting so much easier for us beginners here.

Amen to that!! There are alot of other angels in here, who go out of their way to encourage we who are beginners....and I think I can speak for many, when I say how very much it is appreciated!!!!!

You are very right in saying so :thumbsup: WC is the best place in cyber world, thanks to all those wonderful member who seem to never get tired of helping, answering questions, encouraging and advising. And Susan, you are one of those angels already :)
All of you out there, you are the best :clap:

purplepansey
04-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Well done looks so realistic

cadub
04-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Ummmmmmmm - WOW!

Margaret 59
04-19-2009, 02:12 AM
The details in the eye and mouth are fantastic. Looking forward to more of your work!

Kathrin G.
04-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Susan, thank you :) ( figured it might not have come across properly in my last reply )
Purplepansey, thank you very much too :wave:
Cadub, thanks :D
Margaret, thank you too :)

you are all so welcoming here, thank you to everyone for looking in :wave: :)

galpainter
04-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Beautiful :clap:

Kathrin G.
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
thank you too galpainter :wave: