PDA

View Full Version : quick question about acrylic on fabric.

judashearts
04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I have painted a beautiful flower on a tote bag I had lying around, but now I wish I would have ironed the creases out of the bag BEFORE I painted on it. (Oops!)

Is it possible to run a warm iron over the acrylic paint, or will it melt onto my iron?

Thanks!!

idylbrush
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't think that a good idea. It might melt the acrylic and mess up the iron. I might consider using a steamer and steam out the creases from inside the bag if possible. Might be a good idea to have a helping hand with this.

mek42
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Will removing the creases distort the image?

If I wanted to try to do this (I have not yet attempted to do so) I'd want at least to have some thick non-fusible interface between iron and tote (any sort of disposable cloth would work I suppose) and I would expect miserable failure as the outcome so as to be pleasantly surprised if any thing worked.

Idlybrush's idea of working from the inside also has merit. In either event, I wouldn't want anything touching the acrylic that I don't mind tossing in the event of catastrophic failure.

Also, you might consider cross posting this in the airbrush forum, as many of the folks there have fabric painting experience and may have some insight. Even if they tell you that you are JPOL*, at least you're one step ahead.

Best of luck whatever happens!

*JPOL = just plain out of luck - often used when I want to use a slightly different phraseology but said other phraseology just isn't appropriate.

judashearts
04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you! I may just end up handwashing that bag and hanging it to dry. I don't think the iron is a good idea, as I would be very sad if my painting got ruined. It's pretty. :)

Thanks for your help!!

dances_with_oils
04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I've used acrylic on fabric and to protect them from peelin, washing off you mix a bond to the paint. To activate it, you have to heat it either by ironing it (under a damp cloth) or a hairdyer or the tumbledryer.

To get the creases out., use a steamer or iron it on the reverese side with a damp cloth. Good luck

judashearts
04-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Oh thank you!! That was very helpful.