PDA

View Full Version : I really need help - skies!!

Aarmano
04-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Everyone....I really need some serious help. I am working on a 12 x 36 canvas for someone and she wants a beach scene. I thought, okay, I can do this - never really doing a landscape in acrylics before. I have no idea how to start on the sky. She wanted a sunset looking beach scene with corals and all, so, if anyone can give me some threads that have been done before that show how to complete a sky i would be indebted forever!!! Please help!!

oldradagast
04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
This link should help you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541156

I think one of the key things to remember with sunset skies (and all skies, really), is that many of the colors are pale tints - a pigment "from the tube" mixed with white. Clouds may have a tint of yellow, purple, red, orange, etc, but they are generally not pure red, yellow, purple straight from the tube. You'll be surprised at just how pale most sky colors really are in a realistic painting. About the only exception to this rule would be very unique, dramatic scenes where clouds may have more of a shift away from white, and the blue of the sky itself, which is typically mixed in with only a bit of white depending upon which blue you use for the sky color. Again, deeper blues = more white, though I use Cerulean Blue these days, which needs only a bit of white to produce a good sky color.

I hope this helps!

Aarmano
04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Matthew, thank you....i actually saw that one, and read through it. Even though I'm done having children, my first born is yours!!

susme48
04-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh boy...can we all give away our firstborn today??...:)

Sorry...could not resist!

Use Her Name
04-16-2009, 12:14 AM
I would treat clouds and so on as though you were painting anything "solid." Also, find source material similar to the sky you want to use-- Clouds are actually very heavy and hold thousands of gallons of water. look at pictures of sunsets at beaches, and use the color and sorts of cloud formations. People who deal with landscapes usually are ery in-tuned with the climate and area. Do some reserch into the science of clouds, and the likely appearance of skys for the area you will be painting. Simply understanding and obsering natural phenominon will usually answer a lot of questions.