PDA

View Full Version : New works, first time poster

greyblue
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here and wanted to share some new works just off the easel. Thanks for taking a look.
GB

spearmintjoe
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Great idea these. I think the first one works really well.

~~Kathleen
04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi GB, welcome to the Acrylics forum.:)
You will like it here, we are a kind and gentle sort of place.
Interesting.
I like them all.
They are very good for Landscapes.
I am nor sure why the writing, but it does not seem to detract from the paintings.
The top one and the one below it are my favorites.
I do like the moodiness of the paintings very much.
~~Kathleen

JStoltz
04-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Very interesting pieces. I believe the first is my favorite. Wonderful job on the sky. Can you explain the significance of the writing.

Jeff

greyblue
04-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks everyone for looking and your comments.

A short answer about the writing: I have a fondness of calligrams, concrete poetry and typography in general. As a creator of images, letters and words are incorporated into my visual work as an element of texture and as an attempt to represent mental thought. They could be interpreted as the process of subconsciously labeling or identifying what we see as we see it.

This is my first attempt using words in landscapes and I find them visually interesting in creating texture and movement. The text is one more visual layer.

Charlie's Mum
04-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I do like the first particularly - expressive brushwork.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
04-16-2009, 10:24 AM
i love things unique in art- so different so expressive heck i just love it

purplepansey
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
A wonderful inovative idea, I like it but the first one is my fave.

LavenderFrost
04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Interesting.

loobyteacher
04-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I really like what you are doing! do you paint over the words or put the words on after the painting....or both. What are you writing with?

greyblue
04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
All your responses are encouraging.

Colleen, I am writing with graphite. The painting and writing are built up in many layers. I begin by creating a composition with words then I gradually introduce color with layers of glaze, writing between each application of glaze.

Thanks very much for your input!!

anthony mauve
04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
If you're looking for a critique, read on. If not, skip this post!

I think the pieces are promising but need a bit more thought. Eg., what is the relationship to the landscape and the word passing? Is it important and something the viewer can build on--or at least think about? I think not.

For me, it's simply a decorative device that can't hold up its end. Further, what's on your mind when you do these pieces? Can it be a single word over and over? Suggestion: Write something. And don't be afraid to reach and overreach.

By the same token the landscape painting is a bit tentative--very soft and almost not there--like the word.

For my money the strongest contemporary painter using words in his paintings--he's quite old now but came to fame in the 60's--is Cy Twombly. He began with pure writing on the canvas imitating writing on a blackboard and later incorporated painting w/ images along with the words in a very cryptic manner.

Good luck!

anthony

mek42
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing more. :)

maverick
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I really like your landscapes and the writing. It doesn't matter to me if the words are legible or not. The texture adds a lot of interest. The words coming down from the clouds in the first painting look like rain.

greyblue
04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses!

romi
04-17-2009, 07:23 PM
nice passing :-)
Romi

OkeeKat
04-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello Greyblue and welcome to our little corner of Wet Canvas.
These are excellent!!
Love the incorporation of the words, kinda gives it an intersting look. the first it almost looks like its raining the words. and flowing along in the grasses in the second with a stormy sky!

Teresa's Treasures
04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I like the difference in the painting. Looked like rain to me.