PDA

View Full Version : Illustration Board

animal
11-23-2000, 08:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried illustration board with their acrylics. As I am just starting in acrylics I find the illustration board works well for what I am painting?

CarlyHardy
11-23-2000, 11:28 PM
animal...one of the really nice things about acrylics is the way they can be used to paint on almost any surface. When working on a paper type surface, I would recommend gessoing to seal the paper. This will keep your work more durable. Unless you are using the acrylics as a watercolor for transparent effects...in that case you might want to leave the paper ungessoed. However, you could work on gessoed paper with this technique also since acrylics dry and become waterproof. Unlike actual watercolors.
carly

nancymae
11-24-2000, 02:04 PM
Animal...sounds like you have been busy....why don't you post some of your work so we all can see????

Nancy

Keith Russell
11-29-2000, 08:40 PM
Greetings:

I have used illustration board for my acrylic paintings since 1983. But, I paint mainly with an airbrush, and being able to control the levels of transparency and colour intensity is the key to my work.

Since I paint only on hot press (smoothly calendared) illustration board, I've never needed to gesso my boards, nor seal them in any way.

I have just ordered some acid-free illustration board, and will be using only that from now on.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]