PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I wanna see some show & tell

Lori Peterson
08-19-2002, 08:05 AM
I'll start us off with a few pics of some recent beads of mine then I wanna see some of yours! Around home I am known as "She who must be obeyed" and I don't want to have to get out the rolled newspaper to show each of you why, so........

Warning: I will be starting another thread this morning asking for some how-to specifics so beware - If you post a picture of some beads that got to this planet in mysterious ways better start making some ambiguous stuff up now. (I have a collection I like to call "what the hell happened while you were in the kiln" and another I call SOB's or Seriously Overdecorated Beads)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/eyeeyecapitan.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/overdressedvessel.jpg

These are what I like to do best with glass. Torture it, sometimes unmercifully, into things I can talk to who look like they are listening and think I am mildly amusing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/vessel_and_misc_beads.jpg

Hey Jennifer - lookie lookie I finally made a vessel (sort of)14mm tall! My daughter claimed the middle bead immediately, which, btw, is a shameless copy of someone else's bead - if you can guess who's bead I copied.....there might be hope for me yet. I learn by trying to recreate what I see when it comes to beads of the spherical sort. If this activity offends anyone, I sincerely apologize in advance. The stuff with eyes - completely different process for me, they just 'birth' themselves into this world - I am just the midwife. The bead on the right just makes me giggle.

Now, I welcome all comments (especially the nice ones since everybody around home runs when they see me now so I'm all needy and stuff) and suggestions and questions!

Most of all - gimmy gimmy gimmy - that eye candy baby!

Lori:D :D :D

nursekatie
08-19-2002, 08:29 AM
WOW!! I love them! The face ones are sooo cute!! When I had my class with Mari, she made a fish and I was just in awe! The the second and third bead......WOWZEE! I love them! Nice Job!! I have nothing to offer this morning.............but I will post some real soon!!

Jennifer Geldard
08-19-2002, 10:01 AM
These are awesome!
I love your fruits and veggies... That corn cob is so cute!
And your vessel has terrific handles :)
I have the SOB affliction as well... I have to take medication for it,
or all my beads come out looking like a canival mishap.
Great job Lori!!!

craftylady
08-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Lori please explain how you made the little girl with the pig-tails. My niece wants me to make her a power puff girl So I tried.LOL
Mine looks nothing like yours. I think that would work any tips at all will help. :D Those veggies are to cute... I also admire those fish. One day I will be able to do this I hope.

!ngridh
08-19-2002, 11:25 AM
LORIIIIIIIIII! I love them. I am stupified and dumbfounded...and if you want to know how they were made you will have to ask Lori!
(i hope this ploy will work and she won't notice):clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TheGlassJug
08-19-2002, 12:48 PM
Lori, Those are wonderful beads! jug:clap: :cat: :clap:

Lori Peterson
08-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Ok, I love the praise. My big fat head is not amused, however by the fact I see only my pictures and none of yours. Rolled up newspaper to the nose for all of you - and all you in the back too! Lurkers!!!!

Ok I'm just cranky you're right.

I just spent half an hour creating the most wonderful instructions on how to make your own PPG - Powerpuff girl and lost it because suddenly i was not "logged in":crying::crying: :crying:

CRUD! (not the word I was actually thinking of but, hey, its a family show here).

Will try again later. I need coffee.....and a good sulk.

Oh, thank you by the way. I'm so glad my google-eye friends got such high praise. I am going to call a meeting with them right now (they give me good tea and sympathy)

craftylady
08-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Lori thanks for taking the time out to help me. Sorry you lost the info I hate that. That can really make one angry:evil:

peteg
08-19-2002, 01:40 PM
I KNEW that was a powerpuff girl. Nice vessel too.

pete

Lori Robbins
08-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Lori I like all your beads. Your sculpture beads are great!

Here are some that I was playing around with for the last few nights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/lrassort.jpg

The top row is boro. I was in a Christmas mood. The bottoms, I made some gator beads for a bracelet I am making, they just came out of the kiln. The other bottom pic is when I tried enamels.

No rolled up newspaper for me :D

Lori Peterson
08-19-2002, 02:52 PM
ooooh Lori! I like I like!

Wow! How do you like Boro? I would love to try it but I would have to do it secretly. I have a 15 year old daughter and if I get one more pipe-making question it's off to boarding school for that girl! LOL

Very nice display of team spirit:clap: And I neeeeeed one of those Christmas trees - name your price! I'll put in a p.o. request for it here at home. (My accounting department is currently snoring loudly in the next room.):rolleyes:

I have all these enamels and besides just kind of rolling beads around in it occasionaly I really have no idea what to do with it. Other than absorb it into my pores, that is. I have found my skin is like a glass magnet - I guess its as attracted to me as I am to it! LOL

Now, as for the rest of you, don't think this gets you off the hook. Since the newspaper didn't scare enough of you I give you this bit of punishment! And don't go around whining because you have brought this on yourselves. And remember, this hurts me more than it does you. Let's call this Fuglies 1st warning:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/fugly_first_warning.jpg

Behold 4 Fuglies and as you can see, two of the fuglies are painfully recent additions to my fugly line of beads. Lets see First we have "Homey-Pumpkin from the 'Hood" from our what the hell happened to you in the kiln category. Scary bead!
Down and to the left is "Pond scum with petals" which was one of the founding members of my SOB category.
Below that I show you my first in the Gonorrhea* line and our newest member who was born yesterday one minute after Homey! Let's welcome the twins, shall we?

*Gonorrhea beads are left un-named for reasons that should be glaringly obvious. I should mention that the first gonorrhea was supposed to be the teapot bead in Pamela Wolfersberger's Step by Step instructions from Lapidary Journal June 2002. I added a step which created this monstrosity - "set the kiln to nuke until phallic medical emergency effect is achieved." Gee, how did Pamela miss that one? I blame the editor.

Craftylady, this buds for you. I have no pride. I got over myself long ago! And not all beads that pop out of my kiln are cute. By a long shot - oooftah!

Now people, I have many more even, dare I say, worse beads than this that I can inflict upon you if you do not obey so .......

bluhealer
08-19-2002, 03:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/vesselpile.JPG

Prototypes and typos....:D
The spiral one is old....4 years or so...icky handles, everything else ok..
The large handles are practice....Al Janelle asked in Tucson why I didn't just use the dot method for handles, so I've been trying it off and on.

"which, btw, is a shameless copy of someone else's bead - if you can guess who's bead I
copied....."
Now I'm curious.... I know of three or four versions of this, thought it was just sorta out there??
Carolyn

Lori Robbins
08-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Lori2Lori,
Holy meltdown batman!
hehehe

Lori Robbins
08-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Carolyn,
Me like, very lickable, oops I mean likeable.

b2beads
08-19-2002, 04:10 PM
OK, OK, I'll get the camera out! Lori, I can't believe you didn't play on the fugly thread! I think you're gonorrhea bead would have beat out even the "Smurf Goddess falls victim to Plastic Surgery Malpractice" bead... Pictures to come...

B2

Deb Kouri
08-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Okay, I'll try this, keep the newspaper away.... THis is my first two attempts at vessels...was embarrassed to post this after seeing Jennifer's fabulous vessel yesterday... but then after seeing the fugly's.... I figure it is worth it so I can get some feedback.

Deb Kouri
08-19-2002, 04:59 PM
One more.... just for fun, I've been making a few fall bracelets.... these are not strung yet... but you get the idea...

ELZbeads
08-19-2002, 05:03 PM
I have just spit my soup all over the screen and my office mates are sending out for the white jackets since the normally quiet data base manager is laughing hysterically! Those beads are matched only by your descriptions! You have made MY day!

mistymade
08-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Lori, Lori, Carolyn, and Deb - those beadies and vessels are AWESOME!!!
Misty:clap:

Lori Robbins
08-19-2002, 07:36 PM
Deb those are so cute!

glassdude
08-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi!
I made these in honor of the Cirque troupe due back to Philadelphia next month. I love using primary colors in layers and touches of dichoric!! Just makes my heart sing! Enjoy!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/cirque2b.jpg

Hugs!
Jacqui

Mori
08-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Lori, You've got some cool sculptured beads !I love the strawberry and the cute little fishy in the middle! Very nice!

Lori R- I like the orange and blue together.Cool set. I like those enameled beads too.

Deb, NO need for embarassment...your bessels are great. I love them. And your beads are cool. I really like the moon ones. Very nice little set.

Jacqui- That's an awesome set!

Carolyn- Love your vessels! Pretty blues!

Wow everyone has great show and tell today.:) Thanks for sharing.

~Mori

Tink
08-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Here's a pic of an aromatherapy necklace I finished tonight. I've been struggling with the wire work, as I've never done that before. I'm pretty pleased at this point, but I'll probably hate it when I look at it tomorrow. The link below is to a group photo of my others. I hope I won't get in trouble posting it as the pic itself is an ad. Not trying to advertise here... Just want to show the pic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2002/smvessgrn.jpg

Group Pic (http://blackswampglassworks.com/diffusersgrp.jpg)

rightbrainbeads
08-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Oh, wow everyone!! Thanks for the laughs and the beautiful beads!!! I just found out that I need to have $800 worth of dental work done on Friday, and I haven't quite gotten over that yet... but this is REALLY helping!! :D :D

Tink, I spent way too much time and good silver trying to wrap two vessels today... I finally got it after several hours and at least 2' of 18 gauge silver wire down the tubes... :( Then the dentist called with his good news. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I need to get off the internet and get my work done so I can maybe play at the torch later tonight-- you all have inspired me!!!:clap: :D :clap:

lynne

Mori
08-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Tink, those are great. Love 'em!:)

~Mori

Lori Peterson
08-19-2002, 11:04 PM
Oh - Jolly Good Show Everybody!!!!!!!

Gee and I had such a great variety of Fuglies picked out to inflict upon you all, too. But you were all so good and posted such lovely works of art!

But I will keep them at the ready because I see 422 views and 22 posts and not all with pics.......I am going to go down in WC history as the b*tchiest subject poster ever, aren't I? I will keep checking in and nagging because::::::

I started out this morning without a clue as to what to make. This rarely happens to me. Today, though, was tough. Then I started seeing some of your pictures. And - vooooom!

I tried a new color combo I would not have tried and it became what I hope will be a lovely-shaped teapot (kiln-gods have been properly worshiped and praised so.....) I took another stab at a bicone shape and ended up doing a faceted-looking bead that was accented with first-ever attempt at fine silver dots using fine silver bezel. Watch for that one - may have become newest Fugly/SOB. I promise to post pics fresh from the kiln. We'll laugh, we'll cry and maybe even hurl. And speaking of hurling - -

Best of all, today, I managed to make a perfectly normal, upstanding member of the "Regular Working World" spew her - soup, I believe it was onto her monitor. At work. Gosh, that brings up a visual I won't soon forget. Cool!

With each picture, I have found something to try to do myself (rough translation - shamelessly copy) and you have gotten me through the dreaded first day on a new tank of propane - which I finally figured out was the problem I was having this morning after checking my notes from the last tank change - same frustrations, same onset of dispair. Now flame is back to obeyence and we are one with each other again. - This is good because I have half a mind to try a closed end vessel after seeing Deb's and Carolyn's and whoa! I just did the math after looking at Tink's. I am torchbound for some shameless - I mean practice. Lol

Lori
"set the kiln to nuke until phallic medical emergency effect is achieved."
I swear, when I order a digital controller - I am going to ask him to preprogram one of the settings to this and say it like it's a standard industry setting he should know Like - " oh and Mike, could you program #3 to do the standard phallic medical emergency ramping sequence?"

oh dear, sorry about the monitor again.

nursekatie
08-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Ok, after baring my soul on another thread, I need a bit of ego stroking. I began stringing a set of beads to wear my name tag on at work..........all the other nurses loved it, so I began stringing some for them..........which all lead to this business of making "lanyards". I have sold them locally and many on Ebay. I found Koregan's lampwork beads on Ebay and just fell in love with them! Which lead me to making them (Thanks Kaye :D) So, here is a pic of my lanyards with some of my own beads, ( I sold all the ones that had Kaye's beads on them!!) Actually this is an order I am working on tonight, one more to go and I can ship it off!! Hopefully I can sell enough of them to finish setting up my studio and just make beads!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2002/wc_004.jpg
Have I mentioned how happy I am to have found you all? Thank you :D

fergiebeads
08-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Lori - Okay, put up the paper!

I wish I could bottle you up and keep you around me - you are so fun! :D

Remember my B**** & Moan session this weekend? I mentioned the bead that might make a decent snail or conch shell. Well it actually turned out okay. It's about 18mm from hole to hole and 18mm tall. (Picture makes it look way bigger.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2002/rainbowshell.jpg

As you can see I was so mad, I just heated and heated and heated... until it started drooping (I *refused* to smush it)

Then I heated it some more (ooooo I was starting to feel so much better...!)

I think I'm going to keep this and wear it as a reminder... of what I don't know, but it will come to me! It really "feels" neat because of the ridge underneath

By the way - How do you guys like my new camera! I bought a Nikon CoolPix 995 - it rocks!

~Julie

fergiebeads
08-20-2002, 01:53 AM
I just bought Tink's lime aromatherapy diffuser! :D

Can't wait!!!

~Julie

Tink
08-20-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by jcbfergie
I just bought Tink's lime aromatherapy diffuser! :D

Can't wait!!!

~Julie

LOL! Ok. This is the most I have laughed all week! I had just put up those auctions... Six of them... And when I tried to check on them, only five came up. I thought I had messed something up. LOL! You RASCAL! I'll get that out to you ASAP!

annabella2
08-20-2002, 09:49 AM
OK, here's yesterday's most presentable beads.
The bigger one has black core, orange/yellow/ochre/red
opaque, and a little goldstone in it. Encased, then
the black lace effect on top.
The encasing is coming along- if I'd just quit boiling
the glass, or getting smoky glass. What am I doing
wrong when that happens?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2002/P1010016.jpg

geez, what a lousy photo. I need to work on that,
LOL.

Tink
08-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Deb Kouri
One more.... just for fun, I've been making a few fall bracelets.... these are not strung yet... but you get the idea...

OK. I really like these. Candy Corn! Moons! Very Hallowe'enie! Nice job!

fergiebeads
08-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Tink:

Glad to keep you on your toes! I've got some Eucalyptus Spearmint "Pulse Point Therapy" that I got at Bath & Body Works. I wonder if I could use that in the diffuser? They call it "highly concentrated essential oil cream." Besides water, oil, and ether it's got a bunch of other stuff (words I can't even pronounce) in it. Maybe I could put it on a little dab of cotton and drop it in the bottle...

--------

Anne S: Love the colors! So rich; I bet they'd look awesome etched, too. They kinda have that Oriental rug feel.

~Julie

Tink
08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by jcbfergie

Glad to keep you on your toes! I've got some Eucalyptus Spearmint "Pulse Point Therapy" that I got at Bath & Body Works. I wonder if I could use that in the diffuser? They call it "highly concentrated essential oil cream." Besides water, oil, and ether it's got a bunch of other stuff (words I can't even pronounce) in it. Maybe I could put it on a little dab of cotton and drop it in the bottle...
~Julie

Yep. That's exactly what I recommend for these. There's a tiny orifice in the top. I like using amber oil. My Goddaughter is a manager at B&BW, and I'm going to see if I can get my hands on the Pulse Point Therapy you mentioned. I use that scent of sugar scrub and I *love* it!

Thanks again! Now it's off to the surgeon's office for me. Bleah.

b2beads
08-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Anne - I love those colors! Fall colors are my favorite, just like fall is my favorite time of year. Great beads!

Tink - Surgeon?

B2

Gail Boo
08-20-2002, 02:34 PM
I have had so many ideas running through my flame since the Gathering. Here are some beads from my first day home. Gail

Jennifer Geldard
08-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Do i see Sharron Peter's influence here???
:D
Great beads!!

annabella2
08-21-2002, 09:57 AM
oooo, Gail boo, I like the one top right, blue and
orange encased. (even if those are Auburn Univ.
colors-boo!)
The figural on the right is excellent, too. I'd name
her "woman with acute constipation" due to her
expression!

Gail Boo
08-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Jennifer and Annabell, you do see a little Sharon in those beads. I have been doing figurals and critters since I began beading but after I saw Sharon's and her book they deffinately got better. It's those little tips and details that make the difference. Annabell, I think I had to pee when I made the girls skirt section and that might account for her pained expression. Have Fun, Gail

mardi
08-22-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm new here but I really liked the vessel and the super cute strawberry!

Mardi
www.bastetsbeads.com

:cat: