PDA

View Full Version : Packaging your pastel paintings for art shows/festivals

knippes
04-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Okay, now that I've been accepted to my first art show, I've got a question about packaging. For those of you who have done this before, can you give me any tips on how you get your paintings to and from the shows in one piece? It was a lot easier when I was just doing photos,:( I didn't have to worry about dust falling off of them - just breaking the glass and scratching the frames... We transport everything in our minivan. My hubby and I, the two service dogs, my wheelchair, the tent, the walls and of course the photos/paintings. So space is at a premium. But I obviously need everything to get there in pristine condition.
Our thought was to take boxes and make supports for each of end of the frame out of foam insulation (my hubby's idea). That way each frame would be separated from the rest by cushioning. I'm trying to use one frame for everything for consistencies sake, but in the meantime, I've got lots of frames which I used for the photography that I need to use up first. So far, that is the best idea we've been able to come up with and that is going to take up LOTS of room.
Anyone have any better thoughts/ideas/experiences??
TIA!
-Kym

Deborah Secor
04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Well, you probably use this already, but I wouldn't be without cardboard corner protectors. I buy them in 100-packs or more, flat and ready to fold. I get the 2" deep ones (that can be folded smaller if needed), and put one on each corner. Then I stack my paintings in boxes or big canvas bags and transport them in the vertical position so that any fall-off goes behind the spacers. My Mom made assorted sizes of giant canvas bags with cloth handles that I used for 20-some years. I like being able to hang them over my shoulder to carry. But boxes work, too, depending on the sizes.

Hope that helps.

Deborah

PS Thought I would mention that I always sold the paintings with the corner protectors included. I figured at about $1 it was worth it!

knippes
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Deborah,
How do you get the corner protectors to stay on? They are always falling off on me in packing. Best thing I found was to shrink wrap the sides over the protectors, but that takes forever and my hubby runs out of patience. Thanks for the help!
-Kym

Deborah Secor
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Your corners may be too wide. I get the kind that will adjust to smaller size, if needed (1", 1.5", up to 2".) But most importantly, I turn them so that the folded flap goes over the glass. That way the inside flap of cardboard cups into and catches the corner of the frame. I have to slip my hand into the corner and push it upwards to remove it. If they get too bent they can fall off easily, so I'm careful not to do that.

These are the ones I use: http://www.unitedmfrs.com/cart/detail.cfm?item=3561

Deborah

jemgold
04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I do festivals and stole an idea from an artist from Canada. I purchase about 1 yard of vinyl with flannel type inside fabric (walmart) I fold the fabric in half like a pillowcase and stitch the 2 sides on the wrong side. I usually make these bags about 32" across the top and then the depth is the width of the fabric. I cut cardboard a little smaller than the bag size and place in the bag. The paintings are placed between the cardboard. It will hold about 4/5 paintings. The bags can easily be picked up by the corners and stacked either upright or lay down. I also have some smaller ones for smaller paintings. I've used this for about 4 yrs now an I think I've only had one painting that had to be repaired. I normally do about 15/20 shows a year.