PDA

View Full Version : Paper question

MJGresko
04-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I have a question concerning pastel card (La Carte Pastel) to be exact. I bought some of this a few weeks ago. It's a tablet. I don't know if this is how it usually comes but I'm having a heck of a time tearing off a sheet. It has various colors. Is it best to just tear off each sheet in order or is there some magic way to remove a sheet without tearing it which has just happened. Also I some how managed to get a couple drops of water on it and it took away the grit and left a smooth, shiny spot in it's place. Is it supposed to do that. You think for what it cost it wouldn't do that. I'm thinking Colorfix maybe a better buy for the money.

DAK723
04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I have never seen a tablet of LaCarte, only fairly rigid sheets, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

And, unfortunately, you cannot get LaCarte wet - it completely removes the surface. There has been some recent discussion on this in the Paper Thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549160

Dianna Ponting, in the last post, gives some tips on restoring a bare spot with colorfix primer.

Don

(http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549160)

MJGresko
04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Don. I originally went to the paper thread but didn't read through all of them. Just seemed like a paper review. Well now I know about water damage now I just need to find out how to get it off the pad.

NRC
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
LaCarte in pad is what I bought to start with also. I've been using an exacto knife and very carefully cutting the glue right at the edge of the paper. It has been working great. The back cover has come loose now but that is only because I cut out the back-most piece of black.

Diana Ponting offers a fix for La Carte somewhere in here. One of the workshop participants had the same problem.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405403&highlight=PONTING+WORKSHOP

I too am thinking of ordering Colorfix because I'm feeling limited by the 9.5 x 12.5 (it was a start) and because getting the art supplies I want is challenging. Thought it might be beneficial to prepare my own supports.

Nell

Edit:

Right on the first page....
Ugly – Oh dear! You accidentally got some water on it and are left with a small white shiny area! No pastel out there will cover this so what you want to do is to purchase a small container of Art Specturm’s Colourfix Primer or product like Golden’s Acrylic Ground for Pastels. Take a ‘00’ (double ought) watercolour brush and using the just the tip, dab on the tiniest amounts barely covering the white background. Less is better in this instance as too much will cause a bump when you re-apply the pastel and it is easier to apply more paint later than to get it off.

robertsloan2
04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been hesitant to try the La Carte for that reason. One sneeze and I could be spending hours repairing the support in order to fix the painting. I started out with Colourfix paper and then got clear Colourfix primer to save money and be able to do my own tints on watercolor paper.

Wallis is toothier and holds more layers, so I got some Wallis too. But the texture on the Colourfix is great and it will stand up to wet -- you can even wash the first layer or put watercolor on it and it won't lose its tooth. If you want to save money, try the clear primer and use it on 140lb hot press or cold press watercolor paper.

Also it's great for recycling bad watercolors into underpaintings for good pastels!

MJGresko
04-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I should have done some research before I bought the pad. Oh well I'll use it up eventually. I really do prefer the colourfix paper. I've wiped it pretty well clean with baby wipes and it was good to go. I thought the pastel card was going to be similar. Tomorrow I'm buying another packet of colourfix. Maybe I'll try your suggestion Robert with the watercolor paper. I can't find Wallis anywhere around here and I really would like to get a sampler pack but I've yet to see that in any catalogue that I've looked in. But thanks again everyone for your help.

edencompton
04-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Marcia -- I'm late to this thread but thought I would put my two cents in. I have had the same problem with the LaCarte pad -- the glue binding is so strong that you can't just tear the page out. I used to use an exacto knife like Nell but I don't buy the pads anymore. I actually only use the large sheets of LaCarte for portraits and indoor painting. If you need sturdy paper, you are better off with Colorfix or Wallis.

MJGresko
04-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Eden. I will be using my exacto knife in the future. Unfortunately I couldn't pick up some Colourfix today but I did manage to scrounge up some leftover sheets of colourfix. 2 pieces of black, though. Sigh....

Ceci
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Ive had the same problem with a pad of La Carte. I usually use colourfix because I'm very alergic to dust and sneeze quite a bit and La Carte is not for me. But, I found a big one and im working on it right now. Lets hope it works, I really love how the colors stay the same as in the sticks.
Ceci

NRC
04-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I really love how the colors stay the same as in the sticks.
Ceci

Could you expand on that Ceci? If you had Wallis, Colorifix, and assorted brands of paper in the same colour ... is it the difference in paper texture that is affecting colour?

rankamateur1
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Marcia, I believe Dakota Pastels has a paper sampler pack in addition to pastel samplers.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/paper-dakota-samplers.aspx

Luana

MJGresko
04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Luana, that's what I was looking for.

bwjnsn
04-13-2009, 12:48 AM
This is good to know. I have wanted to try the La Carte pad.
Robert, I have been reading about your Colorfix primer experiences on this and other threads. Now I HAVE to try it!
Brett

Ceci
04-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Well, I have only used La Carte twice and for some reason ( maybe it was the pastels ) the colors are brighter. Maybe thats why Ponting uses that paper and her colors are stunning. Im working on a piece right now and will post it here when I finish.
Ceci

MJGresko
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I ordered that Dakota paper sampler last night so now I'll get to try all these papers I've heard so much about. I'm really anxious to try the velour and the Wallis. I don't know about that La Carte...I tend to use the hard papstels more than my softies (probably because I can't afford to replace them quickly) and I've had alot of trouble blending the hard ones when using it. Really wasn't the best choice for me...but that's how you learn I guess.

Donna A
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, Marcia! If you do really like the 'mild' texture of the LaCarte, but prefer not to worry about a sneeze or a few drops of water ruining the surface, you might try lightly sanding the Colourfix paper! That works beautifully.

I've experimented with sanding Colourfix very slightly to considerably with a fine sandpaper---and it works beautifully! You still do keep some mild texture just like the LaCarte---but it remains waterproof!

And I've also experimented with putting color washes on the entire sheet of Colourfix---giving me an even wider range of color grounds than the twenty it already comes in!!! If you have a favorite LaCarte color ground, it's easy enough to get the same color washed on in the Colourfix!

Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

saramathewson
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I just received some LaCarte paper in a pad as well and tried getting a color from the near back of the pad out and it was quite a challenge. I'm glad to hear about using an exacto knife. I wanted to try LaCarte because it was intriguing to me and the texture is so soft. I usually use wallis or colorfix and actually like a very toothy surface, but thought this would be fun to experiment with. I'm not really much of a blender and I know that many use Lacarte so they can blend, but I have seen some absolutely stunning landscapes done on it and so wanted to give it a try. I agree about the colors on it, but of course that is on the darker colors of LaCarte. Unisons just glide on it, and I'm anxious to see how my other brands work on it as well. For me it is fun to try new things. i also purchased some Uart 400 grit mounted on a board and a few of the Richeson premium gatorfoam panels. (These were all on sale at Dakota). I also got some clear clorfix and some golden fine pumice gel as well as some pumice. I have a ton of 300# cold pressed watercolor paper that is heavy enough to be considered a board and will be experimenting with it. I know that the texture of cold pressed paper isn't the best for pastel so I was thinking of using gesso first to smooth out those "pits" and then applying the colofix or pumice gel. Lots of experimenting up ahead for me<G>. One thing I have done is use the colorfix on ampersand pastel board that has been used and much of the gritty surface was removed when I washed it off. It worked great! So it will be easy to recycle those and keep enough grit to hold the pastel.

Sara