PDA

View Full Version : Landscape A La Vincent

sumabokemo
04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
My best friend and I are working on a challenge to paint a landscape in the style of Van Gogh. I would appreciate constructive criticism--what should I do next? When I look at this painting, I like it, but it doesn't say 'Vincent' to me!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2009/55122-GrandCanyonInProgressWeb.jpg

Raymo
04-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Wow, that's purdy as a.....oh wait, I already used that one.

It doesnt evoke Vincent but it's still pretty nice. You picked a challenging scene to try and paint in his style. I would say get drunk and have a mental breakdown (at the same time) and then paint like crazy while all that's happening. Youre welcome.

I like square butts, I cannot lie.....

susme48
04-11-2009, 01:22 AM
---aside---Well Ray...I see you are feeling better!! :)

This is nice...not quite sure how to "Van Gogh" it....the sky for one does not seem like his style?

sumabokemo
04-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Raymo, you're a HOOT!

arl
04-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Beautiful work and colour mix.

taibossigai
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm still laughing at the square butts comment... :lol:

For me it looks more like A.Y. Jackson from the Group of Seven? It might not be what most people think of when they think of Van Gogh's paintings, but might be more like his "Paesagio marino". Maybe if you play around with the clouds and add some slight swirls. I like how you added some outlines around the buttes on the lower edge.