PDA

View Full Version : My turn for some good news

knippes
04-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Since we've had some postings lately with some really wonderful news in them, I thought I'd add mine to the bunch. In the past few years, we've done the art show/festival thing in the summers with my photography. We took the last year off because my service dog has terminal cancer and we thought that it would be too much for her. So I concentrated on learning how to paint with pastels instead. I guess it paid off at least a bit, because I got accepted into my first juried fine arts festival with the pastels. Its the Pike's Peak Fine Arts Festival in Colorado Springs over the 4th of July weekend. Wahoo, my first one - I am VERY excited.:clap: My dog, who was given a few weeks to a couple of months to live, is still going strong almost two years later. Guess she likes her job. And my neighbor, whom Katya adores said she'd have her stay at her house while we are at the show. So, hopefully we're covered.
And, a very nice lady called me out of the blue last week and wanted to know if I wanted to have my pastels displayed today at a little event in the cafeteria of the state building in downtown Denver. So, she is there with my prints today, I don't even have to do any work. How much better can it get?:)
-Kym

Donna T
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Congratulations Kym!!! :clap: Best wishes to you and your precious dog. :heart:

Donna

K Taylor-Green
04-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Kym, that's wonderful news!

CM Neidhofer
04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow, congratulations, Kym!! :clap:

Christine

Deborah Secor
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Good news, Kym! I hope the show is a wonderful success for you. :thumbsup:

Deborah

Colorix
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
That's wonderful, Kym! And may your precious dog beat the cancer!

Charlie

knippes
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks so much guys for the good wishes. I'm really looking forward to the show. For those who are interested, here is a photo of Katya, the toughest girl in the world.
-Kymhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2009/112518-Katya_9-20-08-2.jpg

water girl
04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, I guess you'll just have to spend a little more time with us in the Pastel Forums.:) Congratulations!
Your little partner needs to have her portrait painted.

Lisa Fiore
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Congratulations Kym, that is fantastic news and you must be very excited!! Can you post the painting(s) that will be displayed in the show? I love your work!!:)

Also, I hope your amazing dog keeps defying the odds. I know how difficult it is when one of our "babies" are sick. Your dog is beautiful.

Terry Wynn
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Best to you, Kym. Great news. Fingers crossed for many more days with Katya!

Terry

Dougwas
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Great news Kym. I hope you and Katya have many more years together. Good luck.

Doug

knippes
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
This is the first pastel that I ever did, a portrait of Katya when she was a wee little puppy, with a very big attitude.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2009/112518-Katya-Puppy-Portrait-smalljpg
And this is one of the paintings that I used for the jury process. It is called PowWow Girl.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2009/112518-PowWow_Girl.jpg
Thanks again!
-Kym

DAK723
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Kym,

Congratulations!! And may your dog have many more years beating the odds!

Don

binkie
04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Kym -CONGRATULATIONS!!! I will say a prayer for your precious furbaby and she continues to do well. Your painting of her as a pup is so precious! And the one that made the show is wonderful!!!

Punky2
04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Great news Kym! Congratulations!
Your dog looks so sweet.

Terri

Scottyarthur
04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
That is truely awesome Glad to hear it, you deserve it so much. May you best friend Katya have many more years by your side.

robertsloan2
04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Kym, congratulations! That is so great. I'm so happy Katya is beating the cancer too. Animals are so true and loving, I know she's fighting it because she loves taking care of you the way Ari takes care of me.

Cancer is one of those things that in all my undocumented experience does respond to attitude -- I hope for both of you that she goes on in remission doing a great job at her job.

Your photo and painting of her as a puppy are sweet. I can see how you got into the show with Pow Wow Girl -- that is so evocative, she's so traditional on one level and so modern on another with that binky in her mouth. Reminded me of my grandson and his binky.

pastel lover
04-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Kym,

Great news! Love your work & I predict you'll do well in the show.

Tanja

scall0way
04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Great news! What a cool looking dog Katya is. She looks like a dog with "attitude", and reminds me of my own late Maggie who overcame various health obstacles of her own because of an amazing "can do" attitude which got her a good 15 1/2 years with me. When she had radiation treatment for cancer at age 13 I had so many people ask why I would do such a thing to such and old dog, and not just put her to sleep. My reply was "But she's such a *young* 13" - and sure enough she roared through her treatments with nary a problem and had 2 1/2 more wonderful years. May Katya do the same!

I love Pow-wow Girl too. That little pacifier in her mouth just totally makes the picture. :)

dobber
04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Great news Kym. Hope it's a huge success. Best wishes for your dog also.