PDA

View Full Version : buying acrylics

haley
09-08-2000, 08:47 AM
I am planning on buying acrylic paints for the art club i run at my university. i need to buy in quantity, but i am not sure what quality... Since my funds are limited, i don't want to buy the best of the best paint. Could you please help me decide what kind of paint to buy?
-haley

Degas5
09-18-2000, 05:14 PM
Acrylics, like other paints, have Artist Grade and Students Grade paint lines and Student Grade paints have alot of fillers and less pigment with a limited palette of colors. If you're interested in a better quality acrylic, Grumbacher Academy is the one I recommend. They're about $3.00 for a three oz. tube. Most Artists' Grade paints come in 2oz. studio size tubes and start at about $3.49 for Series 1 and up from there. I sell the stuff and recommend you shop now because there's alot of sales on paints and brushes for back to school.

------------------

tammy
10-27-2000, 07:15 PM
I use Liquitex "Basic" brand successfully.
They are probably student grade. The price I paid at one time was apx 3.70 that came in 4 Oz tubes. (U.S)
I have to say too that the plastic tubes with the large lids on these are great.
I have no suggestions if you want Artist Grade.

------------------
Tammy "I MUST be an Artist, artist".

digitaldee
11-28-2000, 09:26 PM
I would suggest (since your funds are limited and you may be doing a wide variety of projects which involve numerous small groups of "workers") buying a student grade of liquid acrylics by the gallon.
DickBlick http://www.dickblick.com
has a "line" called "Blickcrylics" which are better than most...But a brand called "Chromacryls" is equally as good from my experience. These would work well for posters, murals, as well as, personal work. If the students provided their own paints - then perhaps they could afford "heavier" more professional acrylics which are, of course, more costly.