PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cone - Information

Terry Wynn
04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I am not associated with Mr. Cone and unfortunately, live too far away to attend his upcoming show in San Francisco.

I admire his style with pastels and follow his blog. He has a catalog from his show available on his blogspot. www.billcone.blogspot.com

Just an fyi to those interested.

Wish I could see his paintings in person.

Terry

Donna T
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Terry. I would love to see his work in person too. He does amazing things on Canson paper, that's for sure.

Donna

knippes
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the information Terry! What beautiful work. I'm too far away too, but I sure wish I wasn't.
-Kym

klord
04-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Hi Folks,

I am planning on going to his opening! I was in the Sierra's with him this last August, a truly amazing trip. I will make notes and share the experience with you all. He is an incredible man, not to mention amazing artist.

robertsloan2
04-10-2009, 04:19 AM
Wow! Thank you for posting his blog link. Bill's work is inspirational. For one thing he's reminded me that much as I love rocks, I do rounded old weathered ones a lot of the time. Yet I love the look of fresh, broken granite and the sharp angles and cleavages in boulders that haven't been rounded yet. I may do something a little different in my next one.

Or use my eraser on my current one and see if I can break it up with some less rounded forms.

His trips sound like so much fun too. Maybe someday I'll have the kind of money to get airlifted in to someplace like that, since even at my most fit I can't hike an actual mile let alone eight of them. Or get an exceedingly rugged off-road power chair and go for it if the trail's wide and graded enough for that.

Terry Wynn
04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi, All,

Yes, Kim, I remember seeing your name in the Sierra group - what a trip that must have been but if I recall from Bill's blog, you all were busy each day painting.

Thank you so much for your notes and comments after viewing his show. I will look forward very much to your comments.

Terry

klord
04-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was priviliged with the opportunity to see Bill's amazing work two weeks ago. Sorry it has taken so long for me to touch base.

He had over thirty pastel paintings of the High Sierra's. A few pieces dating back a few years from trips past, current work from his last trip and many pieces that were created in the studio from his studies. They were beautifully hung gallery style, with simple black frames with a one inch gold/bronze inside border. No mats, and museum glass. The work, as you all well know, was spectacular, with emphasis on the glacial water, granite rock walls and boulders, and reflections. He is a true master of transitions, from water that you see all the way through to the reflections of boulders and sky. Breathtaking.

On a fantastic note, over half the collection had sold stickers by the time we left!!!!! He had many collectors, fans and students from the several art colleges that are in San Francisco come to the show, as well as several fellow artists that have joined him on the pack trips.

I wish you could have been able to see the paintings in person... but hope you have a chance to catch up with his work on his blog. The link was at the beginning of the post.

Sincerely,

Kim

Terry Wynn
04-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you, Kim, so much for updating. I truly wish that I could have seen them. His ability to catch the depth in water (rocks in the creeks, etc.) is amazing.

Thank you, thank you!

Terry

bnoonan
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Terry I love that little gallery - it used to be around the corner from where I lived in SF and I'd go visit there often. They have some great artists.

I've admired this work and remembered checking this blog as soon as I was notified of the show.

He's a gifted artist who really studies the light to capture the light feeling.

Hurrah for a pastelist being collected and purchased in a city gallery. Barb

Kim, YOu should have invited us... How do you like their new location?

Did you go to any of my favorite haunts in the neighborhood?

Barb