PDA

View Full Version : New Tool for Sale!

MariJohnson
08-18-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi Everyone!

Hope this okay ... I think of these as another tool on my workbench... and they have proved invaluable for me.

They're clip on magnifyers, and I absolutely can't do without them, so they come with a warning --- if you don't want to have something that you can't work without, don't go to the page. I know this sounds like hype, but it's absolutely TRUE.

I saw a Kim Fields demo earlier this year and she recommended magnifiers for detail work. THANKS KIM!!!! When I found the right kind, I fell in love with them. All my students, fellow beadmakers here in Michigan wanted them, and I kept directing them to another retailer, til someone said, "Mari you should have these for sale!"

So now I'm selling them on my site, at $2.00 less than retail. They come in 5 different magnification levels.

Here's the link:

http://www.mjlampwork.com

Thanks for looking!

Mari

llis
08-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Good idea Mari.

One thing you might consider is moving your web site over to WetCanvas! for hosting. That way you could have a banner ad running a the top of this screen telling everyone about your work and special supplies.

As long as your company does not have more than one employee, you can advertize on this site without go thru the media kit and paying advertising fees. A banner can be made if you have WC! as your web host and your company still complies with the one employee guide.

Clip on magnifyers would benefit lots of painters too. :)

BillBrach
08-18-2002, 08:16 AM
Mari,

Those are NEAT !!

Too bad you cannot get them made with rose didymium glass.

They would then be an answer to my prayers, as I refuse to pay $250 or more for perscription RD's.

Bill

MariJohnson
08-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks Phyllis and Bill!

I actually clip these onto the new AUR's I got... they're the $79 pair AUR's. I just couldn't see spending the big bucks on prescriptioin AUR's when my eyesight is changing. I'm at the ripe old age of 44 now, but I'm looking ahead.

So, this seemed like a good way to afford the AUR's and see what I'm doing!

:D

Mari

nursekatie
08-18-2002, 10:58 AM
:clap:
Mari!! I just found this site and LOOK who is here!! I will have to send some pics of my nice CENTERED beads to you!! I thought I would post a reply....................I just took a class with Mari and saw her magnifiers in action. They are great and so is Mari!

!ngridh
08-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Mari, the nice thing about WC is that there don't seem to be any bead police here. It is so refreshing not to have to worry that someone will object to your wanting to share something that is such a big help. I want to thanks ann*s for telling me about WC.
Great venue for lots of wonderful people to share without concern!

llis
08-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by !ngridh
Mari, the nice thing about WC is that there don't seem to be any bead police here. It is so refreshing not to have to worry that someone will object to your wanting to share something that is such a big help. I want to thanks ann*s for telling me about WC.
Great venue for lots of wonderful people to share without concern!

You are right !ngridh!, there aren't any police here, but I do need to tell you that it is WC! policy not to use the boards for advertising our products. It's a sorta fine line between sharing and posting ads.

Mari has not posted an ad, but rather shared with us what she found works and the offer to resell from her website. From time to time, we all do this. It's okay to do this once or maybe just once in a while as we talk. It's not okay to put up ads, or to promote in multiple forums to get the word out. WC! does have a policy against this and we ask that if your buiness has more than one employee, you purchase advertising space by using the media kit. Another way to help support the site and advertise your business, if you only have one employee, would be to have WC! host your web site and then you could make a banner ad to run on the top of the forums along with other artists selling works.

It all boils down to keeping this board on line. The more all of us can do to help support the site, the better the chance it will always be here for us. We all want to be able to share but if ads were allowed freely, it would not be fair to the sponsors that do pay thru the media kit.

It's a tough call in many cases, but I think what I've tried to explain above will shed a little light on why this site as well as others try to keep boards promotion ad free.

For further information, check out the forum guidelines at the top. I'm always open to questions and certainly would appreciate any help in re-wording my text if I need to add something or could have said something a better way.

Stacylynne
08-18-2002, 03:12 PM
llis, Thank you for clearing this up I for one am friends with Mari and she is a one man band sort of speak no employees (maybe a dog or cat.) And I am sure she would never intentionally do anything to break the policies here. Would you Mari? illis you are such a great communicator and I think your the tops........... StacyLynne............
Can you direct me to the host page etc I want a web site........

llis
08-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Yes, you can locate web hosting by clicking on the drop down menu at the top of this page under community. Look for web hosting. Or.... click here Web Hosting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/web/) to learn more about it.

If you do sign up, it might be tomorrow before your account is active. Be sure to check out the Web Hosting support forum for answers about how to use the tools.

Thanks for saying I'm a good communicator, I worry that people will not understand so I end up repeating myself .... comes from talking to Cocoapuff too much. LOL

Lara
08-18-2002, 08:32 PM
I don't need the maginfiers yet, but just wanted to say what a cute kitty Mom.

Lara

marilyn h
08-18-2002, 09:15 PM
Your sculptured beads, especially the aquatic series looks almost like my fish creations that I draw. You will have to take a look at my website and see how similar they look. If I were making beads this is how mine would be my created. Very nice!http://home.nc.rr.com/scherbie/

MariJohnson
08-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks all for your support!

Marilyn, I love the fishies that you ! I just joined the colored pencil site this morning, and they're a nice group, too!!!

:p

Mari

MarySarah
08-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Mari, these sound like just the thing for me. I'm in the same boat as you (only I'm just a wee bit older, alas!) with my eyes going through some fairly rapid changes. I decided it would be a waste of money to get special readers made for lampworking.

Are the numbers for the magnification the same as for readers? I'm thinking they are not, as most reading glasses go to maybe 3 or so? Or are the magnifyers' numbers simply a multiple of how many times they magnify the image? Or ... something else :confused:

Let me know, I'm definitely going to be ordering some as soon as I know what to order! :D

(Another) Mary

GBishop
08-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi All!

I just got my clip on magnifiers and I have to tell you they are the greatest thing for those of us with "aging eyes"! They are soooo light, no more sore nose! And, they sit in just exactly the spot where you need to look, can't ask for more. I was really getting tired of stacking glasses, having a sore nose and constantly pushing them back up again. Well, no more!

Thanks so much Mari! :D

George

PZV
08-24-2002, 10:48 AM
:cat:
Mari, if you get this in time bring a set of 3.00 to the Capital Grill today and I'll buy them from you.

Pat Venaleck

beaderpaine
09-13-2002, 10:18 AM
When I click on the link to mjlampwork.com I get a page of html code? I'd love to see these magnifiers, but I can't get to the webpage.

Help!:confused: :confused:

cankeep
09-13-2002, 10:35 AM
I got some clip on magnifiers from Mari and just love them!
:) :)
I can't do a thing without my magnifying visor so it's a nice change to switch to the clip on's. They're super great quality too! Much better than the plastic lenses that come with the visors.

I still switch back and forth a few times a day between the visor and clip-ons, but I love having the choice of which I feel like wearing at the moment.
I'd wear the clip-ons all the time if I had a sturdier and more comfy frame for my glasses, but my brother-in-law makes glasses for a living and always comes up with these impractical flimsy little frames for me... when what I really need is a good old pair of comfy black plastic birth-control glasses to wear at the torch! :p He just doesn't understand that my only audience in the shop is my trusty Sharpie and the cat, neither of whom care a hoot about what Mom looks like!

macbeth7
09-13-2002, 12:39 PM
beaderpaine, I got the same thing when I tried to go there just now. Maybe PM Mari abut it. She just moved, & maybe is in the process of moving her website as well.

Cheers!
Beth