PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a scalpel?

Finnegan18
04-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I have been told that a scalpel makes a great tool to shave pieces off of a pastel or colored pencil and that it is a great sharpening tool. I have searched Dickblick and Jerry's Artorama and can not find any available. Does anyone know where I can purchase one? Thanks.

CM Neidhofer
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't an exacto knife work just as well? If not, I remember buying scalpel kits when I was in college for anatomy classes. At the college bookstore. Might look into your local college campus bookstore.

Christine

K Taylor-Green
04-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Or online medical supplies. But the exacto works well.

Colorix
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a scalpel, but I always use the kind of simple utility knife where you can break off the blades to get a fresh one. Maybe I'm talking about the above mentioned knife, for all I know.

The blade of a scalpel is more 'elastic', bendable, and IMHO works less well sharpening pencils. Scalpel is great for delicate work cutting paper.

So the advice is right in principle, but a sturdier blade is better.

Charlie

Finnegan18
04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you very much.

robertsloan2
04-04-2009, 07:41 PM
The only time I ever bought one was in a college bookstore. They always have dissection kits for the biology students and several other tools in the kit are useful as art tools too. I miss that kit, maybe I should go out to the KU bookstore and look for one sometime.