PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs -- Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

JayD
10-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Basic 101: Pre Course Assignments and FAQs

(PLEASE post your pre-class drawing in THIS thread!)

Hello and welcome to Basic 101. I hope to answer some questions regarding Basic 101. Here goes:

For the Class Members

1. When does the class Start?

Monday October 18th. A new class will be posted each week in conjunction with Stoy Jone’s Weekly Drawing Thread

2. I’m confused. How does all this work?

Each week I will do a project. You will follow along and do the same projects and any of the outside class assignments. You will post your results on the thread for that week.

3 Do I HAVE TA?

Not at all. This is voluntary and no harm will befall you.

4. Are there deadlines?

NO. Work at your own pace—you finish when you finish. Some of you will finish in one week while others will take longer. No harm there as we all will be representing different skill levels and work speeds.

5. What are the guest lectures?

The guest lectures are a series of demonstration supplements with comments by some of the WC artists who have volunteered their time to participate. When you finish a project and are hungry for more—go to the lecture hall at artgraphica.net and find a lecture and then follow it. Now here, you can pick and choose outside the course outline if you want. The object is to play and to experiment.

6. Artgraphica.net? Why there? Why not here?

Well technically that is three questions but here goes. Artgraphica was chosen to enhance the look of an “academic” atmosphere. Its for fun. Something different. You don’t go there to buy anything but best of all the threads wont drop down to the bottom and disappear into the land of forgetfulness. I have offhandledly proposed a “learning center” for this forum to Murray so if you want such a place let him know. At that time the lectures could also be housed on the WC in an archival manner. The OTHER reason that I asked Gavin to house it over there is because I hope, at some point, to also contact NON WC artists who might want to voluntarily contribute lectures of which you can take advantage and hopefully profit from the learning experience.

Is there a book?

Boy, you DO ask some excellent questions. Yes, there is a book. It is called “How to Draw What you see” by Rudy de Reyna. The course outline follows the chapters in the book. Don’t wait for the movie.

AHA! You’re selling a book? I gotta buy a book?

Not at all. You don’t need the book for the course since I am basing the projects on the book but I would strongly advise you to get it if you can—if you can’t don’t worry. I went through many a class without reading the assignments and I survived. This will be very easy to follow.

Why You?

Good Question—Why Not?

For the Lecturers:

What is a Guest Lecturer?

A guest lecturer is a voluntary contributor of a demonstration either based on the de Reyna book or drawn from his or her own personal experience. The idea is to give the student extra practice time under the guidance of some of the more experience talent that is frequenting this board. Essentially, a guest lecturer is a mentor, a consultant and a friend.

Why not call them demonstrators?

Well, you could—but to me demonstrators sell rubberstamps, Tupperware and protest the plight of the red speckled duckbilled porcupine. A guest lecturer is more in keeping with these volunteers more academic standing and, to me, symbolizes the respect that I have for these people for jumping in to help.

Can I be a demonstrator…er… lecturer?

Absolutely. Just contact either Gavin or myself—let us know what you want to do and we will sign you right up. I need at least 18 more lecturers ideally. Your skill level does not matter—we all have gifts that can be contributed.

Do I get paid?

Uh…no. But please accept our abject love and adoration.

If the lectures are posted over at artgraphica.net—how to do I post my lecture?

Email them to Gavin and he will post each lecture in the hall. If you are not shy, consider including a picture of yourself and a brief bio (optional of course).

The pre class assignments:

1. Read the De Reyna Book up to page 26 and do the exercises in the book. If you do not have the book do not worry, you will be brought up to speed during the first class on October 18th

2. Find a picture of something that you want to draw but have felt intimidated about attempting. Draw the picture and do NOT worry about mistakes and then post it in the first class thread. This will be your reference picture to give us an idea of your level. DO NOT throw this picture away.. Your final project in this class will be to take the same picture and draw it again using ANY of the techniques that you have learned. Please post your first picture. This is important.

4. At the end of each class you will be given assignments to complete, if possible, before the next class—PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THAT A DOG ATE YOUR HOMEWORK AS WE HAVE NO REAL DEADLINES HERE. RELAX.

Materials:

For the first part of this class put away your chalks, your derwents, your prismas, your mechanical pencils and fancy draw a ma doodles. We will be working with a number two pencil, an eraser, a pencil sharpener and a sketch pad..

For the current Lecturers

Here is the current list:

Artdude (Murray)

Zarathrustra (Gavin)

Stoy Jones (that would be Stoy Jones)
Jet Liera

Eclipse (Armin Mersmen)

Deepat (Dierdre)

Paintsplatter ( I HAVE NO idea what this persons name is as she signs her name with an initial but she is one of the nicest people I have ever encountered.

Tim Chaffee

Dordy

Silksatin (Bonnie)

Alfredart (Al)

Celia

IF I HAVE MISSED ANYONE OR YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED OR DELETED TO OR FROM THE LIST,LET GAVIN OR MYSELF KNOW. AGAIN, I NEED MORE LECTURERS SO STEP UP AND JOIN THE FUN IF YOU DARE.

PLEASE EMAIL GAVIN OR MYSELF YOUR TOPIC PICS AND ALSO WHEN YOU SEND IN YOUR LECTURE PLEASE INCLUDE, AT YOUR DISCRETION, A PICTURE AND A BIO (THIS IS OPTIONAL OF COURSE BUT WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOU).

LASTLY, THANKS TO ALL OF THE VOLUNTEERS, BOTH LECTURER AND STUDENT, FOR GIVING US THE SUPPORT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. THIS IS YOUR CLASS SO GO HAVE SOME FUN!

DON’T FORGET—ALL QUESTIONS COME WITH ANSWERS SO ASK AWAY IF YOU ARE CONFUSED OR YOU JUST WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

Stkydesrt
10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
whew!!!!

Thanks JayD and all of you who are making this class possible! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm off to get some sleep, then start in on my first assignment...what to draw, what to draw.... :confused:

:D

SILKNSATIN
10-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm always confused but hey thats when I do my best work :D
1 thing I think you should add and thats the anyone that wants to do the guest lecture does not have to have any education or art class experience. :confused:

JayD
10-07-2004, 11:01 PM
That is right--I never went to kindergarten and look at me now!!! :D

THAT IS RIGHT: QUICK ADDENDUM FROM THE ADDENDUM-DUM:

ANY AND ALL ARE WELCOME TO GUEST LECTURE-IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT YOU DO WELL THAT YOU WANT TO SHOW OFF IN A DEMONSTRATION EMAIL GAVIN OR ME. :)

NO JUGGLERS OR MIMES PLEASE. :D

SILKNSATIN
10-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Do not chew my pencil :D Do not chew my pencil :D I chewed on my pencil :(

JayD
10-07-2004, 11:15 PM
I prefer to chew colored pencils--they have that moist and chewy center. :D

Jet
10-07-2004, 11:48 PM
JayD,
good job!!

**A good point about the use of Graphite Pencil only, for this course...

There's some links to honour our popular friend :The cheap and popular Pencil (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2780237#post2780237) :clap:

Happy Drawing !!

:wave:

RuiFromUK
10-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi JayD,

Excellent job you are doing here. And thank you once again.

Hopefully I am not the first to ask a question, but here it goes: Is it possible that when it is mentioned something like 'a number two pencil' somebody could tell us how soft or hard is it? I know of the 8B to 8H scale, from very soft to very hard, but I do not know of any other pencil hardness scales.

Many thanks.

Rui

p.s. I just followed one of Jet's links and it sounds like a #2 pencil s probably a soft pencil of around 2B grade. Am I too far from it?

SILKNSATIN
10-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Gives a big goofy grin at JayD with my green,red,pruple and blue teeth :D :angel: :p

Zarathustra
10-08-2004, 04:24 AM
"Hopefully I am not the first to ask a question, but here it goes: Is it possible that when it is mentioned something like 'a number two pencil' somebody could tell us how soft or hard is it? I know of the 8B to 8H scale, from very soft to very hard, but I do not know of any other pencil hardness scales."

Hi Rui. You're not a paintdoodles poster are you, or perhaps I am confusing you with another Rui? :)

I don't know the number scale either, only the H to B range, however I have found different brands of pencils give very different results. Derwent has a very diverse range for example, but when I have used cheaper pencils a 5H is equivalent to a Derwent B !

Just Crystal
10-08-2004, 04:33 AM
A #2 pencil is like 2b. At least it was when I was in highschool!

RuiFromUK
10-08-2004, 04:35 AM
Hi Gavin,

I am the same Rui of Paintdoodles. There aren't many Rui's in England. LOL and probably thank goodness for that.

How are you?

The other problem that I found about pencil grades is that if I use a 6B say from a US manufacturer and the 6B (both being the softest pencils manufactured by these two companies) one is a lot softer than the other.

For this exercise I probably just going to stick to a 2B pencil which is what I normally use.

Kind regards.

Rui :wave:

RuiFromUK
10-08-2004, 04:36 AM
A #2 pencil is like 2b. At least it was when I was in highschool!

Hi Crystal,

I think we just cross posted. LOL

Many thanks for the info. It confirms what I suspected.

Kind regards.

Rui

Zarathustra
10-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi there Rui, I thought you might be the one and only! :D ;)

I'm good thanks. :)

I think in terms of pencil hardness/softness I would simply go with what you are comfortable with. 2B's are an all round good pencil for sketching and getting darker tones and can cope with details.

JayD
10-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Ooops, there I go talkin's Ameerikin agin. :D

OK, everybody--a number 2 pencil's scale equivalent is an HB--dead center of the pencil pride--hope this helps. :clap:

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's support--this is going to be a VERY interesting journey. Now for the valium. :D

RuiFromUK
10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi JayD,

Many thanks for the info.

Kind regards.

Rui

NatalieS
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Ok I think I have got it, probably haven't tho cos I'm a bit thick LOL

I find something of my own choice that I consider a challenge to draw, draw it send it to Gavin and chill till the 18th then we start the classes, which will be hosted on artgraphica?

If I have that completely wrong I'm very sorry, I'm a bit slow! :D

JayD
10-08-2004, 10:41 AM
no, the classes are held here. You do your posts ALL here. the lectures at Artgraphica are extra practice for you to do to enhance your skills you may post those here as well. I get confused too. :)

Zarathustra
10-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi Natalie - you're almost there! ;) :)
Jay will be starting a thread with all the information in, and people will join in these threads here in our Drawing/Sketching Wetcanvas forum. However to supplement these threads are guest lectures going into a little more depth and showing works in progress - these are hosted on my server and I hope it goes without question that they will be free (and free of advertising).

If you'd like to write a guest lecture, please look at Jay's list and decide if there's something that interests you, then write about, get some pictures of your work in progress and please email me, send it over and I'll get it hosted on my server.
Of course, you may not want to guest lecture, in which case please just feel free to join in the threads when the course begins. ;)
Hope this helps.

JayD
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
We more guest lecturers now--let me apologizie to OzonaLori for leaving her off the first list as she was one of the first to jump in and volunteer.

Newest guest lecturers:

Ozonalori

Yeticatcher (upon his return)

Peter (llampe)

Darkangel (Kelly)

Thanks, Guys!!!! Everybody and anybody who wants to volunteer--drop em an email. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dexonsbabe
10-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Will be going away for a week or so on 18th Oct but will start when I get back just hope I dont get too far behind..........and to Jay and everyone that is but their time and effort into this my many thanks go out to you all :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
10-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey, Lori--have a safe trip and you can always go back and look over the previous week--at your own pace--you wont get to far behind. See you then and again, take care! :wave:

Leslie_Ann
10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
JayD,

Here are my questions regarding your noble project. :)
I will only be able to participate in '05 in all seriousness.

1) Will participants be expected to draw what the guest lecturers see from the photos, or subject, what the artist sees?

I know that improving techinques is the focus here, and being a graphic designer I spend alot of time with the technical nity gritty and did have it rammed down my throat in school at times. Despite the expression, I really do agree it's nescessary. Like brussel sprouts and lima beans. ;)

But I honestly don't want a photorealistic artist telling me an eyelash is out of place when my goal is to capture the essence of a person's humanity and not necessarily accuracy in capturing the lighting of a photograph.

2) Are all projects based on drawing from photographs?

Bon, I think formal education is both underrated and overrated. I'm sure you'll have something worthwile to teach others. :)

JayD
10-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Leslie Ann--seem my comments in ALL CAPS:

Hello JayD,

Leslie_Ann has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ - in the Drawing & Sketching forum of WetCanvas!.

This thread is located at:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
JayD,

Here are my questions regarding your noble project. :)
I will only be able to participate in '05 in all seriousness. --THIS IS AT YOUR OWN PACE SO JUMP IN AT ANYTIME--WE STILL LOVE YOU REGARDLESS OF WHEN YOU ARRIVE. :)

1) Will participants be expected to draw what the guest lecturers see from the photos, or subject, what the artist sees?--YOU DECIDE--YOU CAN FOLLOW THE GUEST LECTURE OR IMPROVISE--THIS IS NOT A MILITARY CAMP--THIS IS MORE LIKE THE MASTERCARD DOG COMMERCIAL--I JUST GOTTA BE ME. :D

I know that improving techinques is the focus here, and being a graphic designer I spend alot of time with the technical nity gritty and did have it rammed down my throat in school at times. Despite the expression, I really do agree it's nescessary. Like brussel sprouts and lima beans. ;)--YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I DEPLORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND LIMA BEANS...BUT LIKE MY AUNT USED TO SAY "YOU'LL LIKE MY BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND LIMA BEANS"--I NEVER DID. :D

But I honestly don't want a photorealistic artist telling me an eyelash is out of place when my goal is to capture the essence of a person's humanity and not necessarily accuracy in capturing the lighting of a photograph.--LESLE, ANN--YOU ARE KIDDING ME RIGHT?--HAVE YOU SEENMY DRAWINGS? I AM A PHOTREALIST'S NIGHTMARE. ESSENCE AND CREATIVITY IS IN. THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT SERIES--I DONT WANT AND I DONT THINK THE MODS OR WC WANTS ANYONE TO TURN OUT TO BE A "SENTIENT POLAROID CAMERA". :D

2) Are all projects based on drawing from photographs?--WELL, WE ARE ALL ELECTRONIC HERE AND PHOTOS ARE THE BEST WAY TO CONVEY IDEAS BUT IF YOU WANT TO DO A STILL LIFE AND SET IT UP YOURSELF THEN DO IT--ALSO WE ARE GOING TO BE COVERING PLEIN AIR SO JUST FOR THE BREATHABILITY OF IT--I INTEND TO GO OUTSIDE AND SKETCH--NOTHING MORE INVIGORATING THEN AN OUTDOOR DRAWING SESSION.

Bon, I think formal education is both underrated and overrated. I'm sure you'll have something worthwile to teach others. :)--THAT IS WHY THE GUEST LECTURES ARE OPEN TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CONTRIBUTE. HONESTLY, I AM NO ARMIN (SORRY ARMIN BUT YOU ARE THE D&S OFFICIAL BENCHMARK--WE LOVE YA)--AND I WOULD NOT WANT TO ENCOURAGE ANY KIND OF ELITIST ATTITUDES--THE LACK OF THAT TYPE OF THINKING MAKES THIS THE COOLEST FORUM AT WC--HANDS DOWN.

LESLIE ANN, I HOPE THIS HELPS ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU AND KNOW THAT WE LOVE YOU AND WILL WAIT FOR YOU TO RETURN WITH GREAT ANTICIPATION--KNOW THAT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS JUMP RIGHT IN--JAY! :clap: :clap:

Leslie_Ann
10-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the reply JayD. :)

I just got a graphics job on top of school that will last til I graduate and then I have to focus on that for the next three months. It's a wonderful opportunity, but stressful, and I need to make sure I spend alot of time meditating and sleeping to stay a happy person. So, everything has to wait completely.

I respectfully don't agree that Armin's art or Armin is the benchmark of this section.I know that might be met with ???????? lol and goes against the grain here, but that's my formed opinion.

His work is very amazing, but only one genre.

Anyways, the talent pool does look great and I'll check it out:) Don't tire yourself out JayD, ya sweetie.

JayD
10-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree--NOBODY can be Armin--but he represents, to me, the degree of excellence that we should all strive for. That is the benchmark I was talking about--I probably should have said that the last time. :D

Ah well...congrats on the job and we hope to see you real soon! :clap: :clap: :clap:

NatalieS
10-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi Natalie - you're almost there! ;) :)
Jay will be starting a thread with all the information in, and people will join in these threads here in our Drawing/Sketching Wetcanvas forum. However to supplement these threads are guest lectures going into a little more depth and showing works in progress - these are hosted on my server and I hope it goes without question that they will be free (and free of advertising).

If you'd like to write a guest lecture, please look at Jay's list and decide if there's something that interests you, then write about, get some pictures of your work in progress and please email me, send it over and I'll get it hosted on my server.
Of course, you may not want to guest lecture, in which case please just feel free to join in the threads when the course begins. ;)
Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for explaining all that! I get confused so easily in case you haven't noticed ;)
I doubt I could be a guest lecturer I'm not qualified enough I feel, I still have a LOT of learning to do, so I'll just sit tight and wait for the classes to begin!

Jay this is such a awesome idea! God bless you! :D :clap:

Zarathustra
10-08-2004, 03:25 PM
No worries Natalie, and on the contrary, anyone can guest lecture - your abliities (or self-perceived abilities) are no problem, and regardless of that, I've seen your artwork and you have talent. If you would like to write a lecture, please don't be shy or modest, and that goes for anyone else in the forum. ;) :D

JayD
10-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree--if you have something to share--dive right in. I think you can do it too and I would love to have you. :)

gallery318
10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Could you give us an idea of the approx. size sketchbook that would work for the planned lessons? I think I'd like to keep the coursework together in one book, but have no idea how large an area the assignments may require. :wave:

Thanks!

JayD
10-08-2004, 04:18 PM
As a general rule, try to keep it to roughly the size of a scanner bed--I use either 8.5 X 11 or 8.5x 17--dont limit yourself to this--whatever works best for you but I tend to lean toward spiral bound notebooks.

gallery318
10-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Yes, the size of the scanner bed. That makes perfect sense. Duh on me! ha ha :D :D

Thanks!

mbeckett
10-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi guys...

I got some major stuff going on at work, have to work this weekend, and will be busy next week. The following week I'll be out of town.

I fully intend on following this course, and I'll have some catching up to do when all this other stuff is behind me. I haven't gone AWOL... honest! :p

JayD
10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
You and I should trade notes sometime, Tim--we will be waiting anxiously for your triumphant return! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Leslie_Ann
10-08-2004, 07:46 PM
I agree--NOBODY can be Armin--but he represents, to me, the degree of excellence that we should all strive for. That is the benchmark I was talking about--I probably should have said that the last time. :D

Ah well...congrats on the job and we hope to see you real soon! :clap: :clap: :clap:

NOBODY CAN BE GAVIN NOBODY CAN BE YOU NOBODY CAN BE ME. NOBODY CAN BE STOY ETC ETC ETC ETC :)

I'm not striving for that channel/path Jay, but I respect those who do.

Anyways, see ya in the new year with my art.

JayD
10-08-2004, 08:10 PM
ummmm.....ok...... :confused:

Stoy Jones
10-08-2004, 08:20 PM
NOBODY CAN BE GAVIN NOBODY CAN BE YOU NOBODY CAN BE ME. NOBODY CAN BE STOY ETC ETC ETC ETC :)

I'm not striving for that channel/path Jay, but I respect those who do.

Anyways, see ya in the new year with my art.

I think there is a good point here. I think it important to read the artist statement (such as Armin's) and one may come to realize it may or may not be something we would want to pattern ourselves after or even understand fully. Armin's skill is so intertwined with the way he sees things, that is why his work is so compelling.

I think with these basics, whether it be a "from scratch" or to brush up, it can only improve on our personal ability to communicate with the pencil and or brush in the way we see the world or perhaps offer a better opportunity to explore "how" we see things.

Stoy

JayD
10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Ok, we still need volunteers--if you are interested, let either Gavin or myself know--I aint makin this happen--you as classmates and the guest lecturers are making this fly. You folks are the cats meow. Again, we would love to see you dive in!

Leslie_Ann
10-09-2004, 12:46 AM
LOL JAY, I'm glad Stoy came in to interpret, and I'm glad we cleared it up privately. I don't give lip service to appreciating and admiring the skills and techniques of photorealists, or those who aspire to photorealism. It takes a patience and attention to detail that is astonishing. That people want to leaen the method and improve their skills is no big surprise at all. But, it's definitely not the end all be all and photorealists can lack other aspects of their art.

What I mean simply is like that gospel song..you know.."this little light of mine..I'm gonna let it shine.."

If I see someone shining and 'awake' through their art, I love it and the best teachers show you how to be a better 'you' as an artist. To see what direction a fledgling artist seems to be taking and giving them the knowledge of the tools to take it. Teaching is like parenting and the best parents don't want "little mes" and don't applaud just when they see a child/student emulating them. I despise that. It's like the Marvin Gaye Song "Piece of Clay"
Everyone wants their own piece of clay....

Anyways, I was flattered by the request to guest lecture and my first thought was that you should ask OzonaLori to share her twig painting/sketching method.

If I were to give an assignment, I'd ask for everyone to draw what love is. Without a grid. Without a photograph. Without a net. ;)

Slan kind folks.

vigam
10-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi JayD,

I'm a new member...but I've been visiting this site for a long time. Your annoucement of the drawing and sketching classes inspired me to join.

I read all the FAQs but am not able to figure out where the drawing classes will be available. :confused:

I hope to do my pre-class assignment and send it in by the 18th.

Vigam

JayD
10-09-2004, 09:45 AM
The classes will be posted on WC--the guest lectures will be posted at artgraphica.com. I appreciate you joining in and i hope that you find this interesting and fun--OH--and WELCOME!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Zarathustra
10-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Sorry to correct you Jay, but it's .net - .com is something entirely different. ;)

JayD
10-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Sorry, Gavin--you always struck me as an "orgie"--not a "netster" :D .. I stand corrected. If you guys have been going to the .org site please IGNORE ME and go to

http://www.artgraphica.net

Thanks for the correction, Gavin. First its your last name and now it is your site--I am obviously harboring a vendetta! :D

JayD
10-09-2004, 11:38 AM
By the way, I could not find the lecture hall--how do we get there?

JayD
10-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I noticed the announcement thread has gone down the forum drain so I am reposting curriculum for the students to know what o expect and for the guest lecturers so that they can choos their topics. Lecturers should let me know their topics before weeks end if possible. I would like to encourage lecturers to feel free to do more then one if you so desire:

Here is the curriculum posting for your review:

here is how it will work--it will be a classroom like setting--there will be a textbook--How to Draw What You See by Rudy de Reyna. Also, Zarathrustra's Artgraphica.net will also be a heavy source of reference. I will do a chapter each week--post the result with comments and then you guys simply follow along.

Subject outline is as follows:

1. Basic Structure of Objects

2. Eye Level: Foundation of Perspective (EEEK!)

3. Drawing Cubic Objects

4. Drawing Cylindrical Objects

5. Drawing Spherical Objects

6. Drawing Conical Objects

7. Putting Basic Forms Together

8. The Horizon Plane

9. Light and Shade

10. Translating Local Color to black and white

11. Drawing a Still Life

12. Drawing with Charcoal (YEAH STOY and GAVIN-I'M gonna do charcoal)

13. Still Life in charcoal

14. Drawing outdoors

15. Drawing outdoors with charcoal

16. Drawing the figure

17. Drawing hands and feet

18. Drawing heads and faces

19. Drawing children

20. Wash techniques

21. Drawing with wash

22. Still Life in wash

23 Outdoors with wash

24. Opaque Techniques

25. Still lifes in Opaque

26. Outdoors with Opaque

27. Acrylic Techniques

28. Still Life in Acrylic

29. Outdoors with Ink and Mixed Media

30. Drawing children with Various Media.

greenjack
10-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey JayD,

Should I throw away my fancy drawing ma doodles for the pre-class assignment piece and just work with a No 2 pencil and eraser? Don't know that I'm going to cope without my blending stump :crying:

OzonaLori
10-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Anyways, I was flattered by the request to guest lecture and my first thought was that you should ask OzonaLori to share her twig painting/sketching method.

Hey there, Leslie! You're so nice! I am going to contribute that very thing, BTW. I hope that others will enjoy trying it as much as I do, and *I* will enjoy trying out the great ideas that you and the other participating artist/lecturers will have for us all to try as well! Good to see that you are still here with us, as your busy schedule permits.

In reading through the last part of this thread, I also agree that everyone has their own special gifts to share. Armin certainly has a special gift and has developed some really fabulous methods to share in reaching a high degree of realism. I greatly admire the work that he does, and would love a glimpse behind the scenes to see how he achieves this. I really admire both his talent and the patience required to reach such realism, for it takes an incredible amount of hours devoted to painstaking detail to achieve such work- something that I am just not capable of, since I have the attention span of a gnat!

But I also admire, just as much, those who can keep sponteneity and life in their drawings, by capturing it in the quick sketch or gesture drawing, and then developing only that which supports the original spirit of the work, and not working it past that point so that it retains the beauty of this original breath.

I think that is why I am excited about both participating and following along this course that Jay has come up with, as well as contributing to it as a guest lecturer. There are a *wide variety*of artists who follow different ideals stylistically, but who all have wonderful things to share. I can learn things from the book that I can brush up on and pay attention to in the basic course by doing the weekly projects, I can learn from other artists by trying out the things they have to share in the tutorials that Gavin is hosting on his site, *and* I can also learn by writing my own tutorial to share with interested WC'ers. This idea is a win-win for everybody!!

Sooooo- anyone who can, jump on the bandwagon by working through the course, agreeing to write a guest lecture or both! This is going to be a really nice addition to our WC drawing community. Yay for *all* of us!!!

JayD
10-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I would suggest that you start from scratch but,please understand, work within your comfort level--the class is geared toward basics and a general progression--you get your ma doodles back--I noticed that some people start with a 2b for example--even Gavin does--and some of the expensive drawing kits do--but the course takes in mind that this should not be an expensive endeaver and the number 2 was reccommended because it is readily accessible to those who can ill afford the fancy instruments--dont pay for drawing pencils when you can still them from your child. :D Regarding stumps--well. you have to blend with something--toilet paper, cheese clothe, a john deere tractor, a stump, a tree stump etc...again, think within your comfort zone but make sure they are your tools and not your crutch.

Now look what you did, Jeff--you made me go all wordy :D

Zarathustra
10-09-2004, 05:18 PM
The Guest Lecture Template as it stands can be found here:

http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-basics.htm

If you'd like to tackle any of the topics Jay has provided, regardless of your ability, please don't hesitate to dive in.

Leslie_Ann
10-09-2004, 07:35 PM
ACK, I think I have to make a vow never to stream of consciouness post again anywhere because A) I make too many typos and B) I'm not always clear. lol
I'm not a guest lecturer Lori, but I'm very glad you decided to join. It adds a great balance to approaches.
I couldn't really teach the way I draw anyways because it's so instinctual and from feelings and dreams. I don't think about pencils, what type of paper I'm using, or how it's going to be presented when it's done.

For example..I had this weird prophetic dream this even was going to happen. I was sitting in a dark room across a table with Gavin about to tell him details of my stalking I haven't told anyone for my project and suddenly I feel the presence of my guardian angel. My Northern Irish great grandmother.

And then this window behind him flies open and I sense that all sorts of WCers are there. At the same time, a door behind me opens slowly with the siloutte of a man in it. My grandmother points to the man then tells me to rest.

So..that's how I draw. That's my source. Hard to teach that!! Well, maybe if you guys eat really spicy food before bed! lol

But, I took it as a sign this is a great thing for everyone and it's best for me to take a break from art. I will read the lessons though and like the concept.
Good luck teachers and students! :)

SILKNSATIN
10-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Teach?? who's teaching?I joined the guest lecture and I have no experience in the education of art,I have had over 20 years of not even picking up a pencil a brush or a blade.90% of my art is from my dreams,fears,part of lifes experience of just being,imagination and never had 1 class or demonstrations shown to me on art but hey I can do a step by step and show others how I do some of my work.I can't even read a ruler right :D .OH ya and im a very insecure person but i been working on that part of my life for the past 2 yrs.Ill give anything a chance if it sounds like fun :wave:

JayD
10-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Bonnie, Sorry to bust your bubble but when you take what you know and impart it to others--you're teaching, Teach! :clap: So welcome to the blackboard jungle. :wink2:

SILKNSATIN
10-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Don't bust my bubble

SILKNSATIN
10-09-2004, 09:21 PM
lmao not if nobody learns from what i do its not lol
OK OK BUST MY BUBBLE

OzonaLori
10-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Bonnie, Sorry to bust your bubble but when you take what you know and impart it to others--you're teaching, Teach! :clap: So welcome to the blackboard jungle. :wink2:

Maybe some of us would feel more comfortable with the concept of sharing/mentoring, rather than teaching, Jay. Yes, we are imparting, but it is to our peers and fellow artists here- many of whom we feel have even greater experience (or possibly raw talent )than what those of us writing may feel they have. I know that this is a Basic Drawing course but many artists with a great deal of experience may be reading through these lectures, and so it feels odd to think of myself being a teacher, when you look at it that way.

Jay, I know that you aren't looking at the lectures in a way that sets the lecturers apart from those reading/learning from them, but I am only writing this because this perception may be keeping some artists here from volunteering to guest lecture, and thinking of it in a different way may help to get more people to participate.

I love this whole idea, and think you are great for heading this all up!!! :clap:

artdude
10-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Thought I would "sticky" this thread until the beginning of classes on the 18th of Oct so it will be easier to find and not pushed to the next page :D:)

LOOKIN" GOOD JAY!! :D

Murray
---------------

JayD
10-10-2004, 07:58 AM
This is going to be my last comment on this subject because this could potentially end up as a debate which could veer us off course and cause a loss of focus.

My point is that we all teach--from the newbie to the most veteran of us all. From the oral transmission of tradition by word or by song, to the writng of long tomes of joy, to the simple posting of a word about how one sharpens a point--that is my point--we are all teachers. I never personally like the word teacher because, honestly, it sounds so unacademic at times and makes me think of Mr. Von Pechy--one of the consternating teachers I ever encountered. I much prefer the work "Attorneys" over "Lawyers" and to this day it perplexes me as to why attorneys address themselves as "esq"(esquire") which denotes an unmarried male--Names--you could refert to teachers as Spot and Lawyers as Puff and well....what is a name...only what you make it.

I don't like MENTOR--because it denote an element of elitism that rubs my colonial senses the wrong way. Anybody got some tea I can dump in a harbor? :D

SO, LETS PUT THIS TO BED--I AM GOING TO MAKE UP A WORD--A WC EXCLUSIVE--OUR OWN WORD--OUR PROPERTY--NO ONE ELSE'S--WHAT'S IN A NAME IS VERY IMPORTANT--SO WE WILL TAKE THE WORD "PARTNER", ADD IT TO ART AND YOU ARE NOW ALL...ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?

"ARTNERS".

Now, one other thing--this is a garage mechanics course--no philosophy--honestly--if you want to drive me over the deep end--let's continue this for 30 more weeks--it is for boning up and honing up mechanical skills--nothing more but surely nothing less. I don't want to spend this course tip toeing around sensibilities. I will do my best not to offend but, good grief, there are 3300 of you! :D

Ok, Artners--let's see some volunteers.

NatalieS
10-10-2004, 08:58 AM
LOL Jay I love Artners!!
I wish I could help but the only thing I'm really good at is drawing eyes and I can't really help out when it's blind leading the not so blind LOL!

One other thing, is the pre-class assignment a must do? Because if it is I better get a move on. :eek:

JayD
10-10-2004, 09:42 AM
When in doubt or in conflict--make up you own buzz words! :D

You don't HAVE to do anything but I strongly reccomend it. But remember that you can do this at your own pace and then post--no rush--no pressure----I haven't set up the detention thread yet! :D

OzonaLori
10-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Jay, you're so right. I'm sorry- forgive me??? :eek:

JayD
10-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Forgive you for such eloquence--NO WAY, ARTNER! :D

You made some valid and thought filled points. Now, help me get this tea over the side of the boat :D

OzonaLori
10-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Forgive you for such eloquence--NO WAY, ARTNER! :D

You made some valid and thought filled points. Now, help me get this tea over the side of the boat :D
LOL!!! You're the best, artner!

*Deirdre*
10-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I like ARTNERS...and I have my own fav...L-Artist = Lartist = Learner artist! :wink2:

JayD
10-10-2004, 12:16 PM
LOL :D

How about M--Mentor--A=Artist- Translation: Martor :D

That gives it a mystical quality===we could start a church--OH excuse me==A Chartch :D

Reinhard1
10-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Natalie,
I plead you to share your "eyes" with us. I am having a hard time with eyes (likeness, shape, etc.) Since I like doing portraits from photos (sorry Leslie Ann), I would really like to have someone help me with the eyes.
Would you PLEASE reconsider?
Thanks in advance.

JayD
10-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Woooooooooo--Natalieeeeeeeee----go into the light-------go into the light If you don't I am going to send Patrick Swayze over to your house to sing endless round of "Henry the Eighth I am I am". :evil: Please join us as a guest lecturer. :) We would love to have you on board.

Stkydesrt
10-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I vote that Natalie shares how she does her "eyes" also...LOVE your work!

P.S. JayD: you can send Patick to my house...I don't care what he's singing as long as his shirt is off.....for um , uhhh, a..... FIGURE study....yeah, that's it :evil:

NatalieS
10-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Ok!!!!! I will do a lecture on drawing eyes! :wink2: but can I still have Patrick??? LOL!!!! I'll get started tomorrow, I just hope I get it done by the 18th! What have I let myself in for? ;)

Thanks guys, flattery gets you everywhere :evil:

JayD
10-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Natalie--welcome to the Guest lecturers--OH by the way you have 30 weeks to finish it--you just need to get it to Gavin during the class run. I will add you to the list. You can still participate in the class room of course and there will be a lot to draw if you are up to it.

Now ME on the other hand--I got a lot of stuff to do this week to get ready for the 18th--I will write the actual lesson tonight and then do all the "pitcher" stuff.

Regarding Patrick, I've already wrapped him up---he is being deliver from Hollywood via United States Postal Service. You have NO idea how many stamps it takes to ship an actor--practically covered his whole body--so you will have to remove them piece by piece from his body---HEY, somebody get me a butt icon over here :D

Steve T. Laws
10-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Martor and Artner for Martner.

Which can also define a fan of the varied and beautiful Marts?

C. Jord and Lowrey are fantastic artists that might be good to ask.

NatalieS
10-11-2004, 02:29 PM
LOL! Jay!! I'm sure I'll have no problem removing the stamps :p btw LOVE the film Ghost!

Can I just say thank you? For giving me this opportunity, it's going to be really nice to share my stuff with you guys and hopefully help out a bit! :D
I'm also incredibly nervous to know I will be working along side such amazingly talented artists, who draw like I'd never thought possible. Which is going to push me to do better, anyway I can't wait!

Another few questions... sorry :o Do I write the lecture out like a tutorial sort of thing? I don't want to write it all out at it be wrong :o
You do want a "eye demo" WIP aswell? *daft question I know*

Oh and the big question is... can I only use the one pencil and no blending? :eek:

JayD
10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Natalie--you would be surprised how many people have yet to realize that I cannot draw. :D Boy are they in for a surprise.

You can do as many as you like by the way--no limit.
Personally, I am excited that you will be participating in the series.

Steve--these people that you mentioned--are they members of WC--I do not recognized their names, I am ashamed to say.

Jet
10-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Do I write the lecture out like a tutorial sort of thing? I don't want to write it all out at it be wrong :o
You do want a "eye demo" WIP aswell? *daft question I know*

Oh and the big question is... can I only use the one pencil and no blending? :eek:

Natalie,
Thanks for participating....

As for How to write "The Article "...
Imagine you're writing for someone who doesn't know a bit about drawing...That will help you to write a very clear and detailed essay...
If there's a certain technique that needs to be explained thoroughly , then it would be better explained as a WIP with step by step pictures,...that will save hundreds of words
If it's a topic that has many variants (like eyes for instance :rolleyes: ) then it would be best to explain how to do eyes "wrong" and then how to correct them...
If the topic were something like textures, then it's nice to show how to do shading etc....
Trying to go with the "flow" of the topic as if we were just learning and needed guidance....
On the other hand you could show some "clever" way to produce certain effect or pinpoint some "flaw" that we have and how you have found your way around it ....

If your article needs some additional polishing , you can always submit an updated version to replace the former..

Just relax and go for it... you'll do great !!

Regards

Zarathustra
10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Natalie, good to have you on board! You can write it however you like, and describe "your" techniques you don't have to adapt them to fit a criteria, so please use whatever pencils and blending (or non-blending) techniques you would like. The topics are very diverse and so just about thing will find a place in one of the week's courses. ;)

Steve T. Laws
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
search the forums with Cjord, that should do it. And Arnold Lowrey. Cool cats in my book.

. . . Ooo, is this a drawing only thing?

JayD
10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Lecturers--the sky is the limit--the outline is for the basics course--your contributions are for the artists taking my course to stretch their wings a bit, try new things. If you have a speciality like drawing pickles and painting them with a combination of French Polish and Peanut butter then show us how it is done. This is really a good chance for many of you to show off to crowd. The sky is the limit.

Steve I will check them out tonight. Thanks!

Now if you will excuse me, I just completed my daily 45 minute brisk walk--I have to go somewhere and die. :D

Celia
10-12-2004, 01:28 AM
JayD..... Good for you, for the brisk walk...... you'll be rewarded, sometime, somewhere..... when you least expect it......... I'll be out in your country, in Durham, from the 16th to the 24th, so will miss the first lesson........ but I'll be chomping at the bit to get started as soon as I'm back........ keep the light on for me........ and thanks, Gavin, for the explanations...... I was wondering, myself, exactly how the guest lecture thing was going to come about........ how early can you handle having the lectures? what kind of time line do you need?

celia

Zarathustra
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
It's possible the layout may change a little, but the first of the guest lectures are starting to be erected with more on the way. These will be posted as they come in.

JayD
10-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Guys, this is getting exciting! :clap:

Jet
10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
:clap:

........Welcome back JayD.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2004/27782-JD.jpg

JayD
10-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Celia, the first lesson involves drawing straight lines and the presentation of the pr-class assignments--We're starting at the beginning so it wont be hard to catch up. I have the drawings to do tomorrow night then I am finished with the first lesson--then on to the next 29.

Jet--Love ya, brother--ahem...I look like a Mexican Werewolf--I love it! Yup--you caught that heavy set dripping with sweat look. :D

djdedman
10-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Can a beginner sign up? I really need the classes. So happy I came across this.
Jackie

JayD
10-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Jackie, the basics101 class, the first of which will be posted on October 18th, is FOR beginners and I definitely want you to join in. Word of warning--we are starting from scratch but it will be well worth the journey.

Once you feel brave enough--you can saunter on over to the guest lecture hall and try your hand there as well. The two are designed to complement each other. :)

djdedman
10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Jackie, the basics101 class, the first of which will be posted on October 18th, is FOR beginners and I definitely want you to join in. Word of warning--we are starting from scratch but it will be well worth the journey.

Thank You, I'm looking fwd to it.

Once you feel brave enough--you can saunter on over to the guest lecture hall and try your hand there as well. The two are designed to complement each other. :)

Where is the guest lecture hall?

Thanks again
Jackie

JayD
10-13-2004, 09:43 AM
The address is

http://www.artgraphica.net

You can find the lecture hall there.

Hayward
10-13-2004, 12:02 PM
This sound GREAT ! thanks for pulling this together - I will definately follow along -

Jo

Cathie Jones
10-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Oh, dear. I seem to be the only one here from the Watercolor forum. Guess I'll have to sit in the back of the class so no one can see the paint stains on my clothes.

I think I have a #2 pencil somewhere, so if I can find it I'll join in.

Edit: Oh, good! There's Jackie - guess I only read the first 40 posts and missed her. Come on back here, Jackie . . .

JayD
10-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Cathy and Hayward--welcome and we would definitely love to have you here. Watercolorists are most welcome as I fiddle about with the old watery pigments myself and it was through watercolor and colored pencil that I discovered that I really needed to learn how to ACTUALLY draw a picture.

NOW THE DRAWING AND SKETCHING PEOPLE ARE STUCK WITH ME.

Everybody from ALL the forums, of course, are welcome to attend. I hope you find the basics useful and the lecture series loads of fun.

Which reminds me--I finished the 1st class but I think I shall add some stuff to it. Hmmmmmm......... :)

JayD
10-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Folks, I just wanted to add something else as I have been getting these questions:

1. Guest Lecturers--the Basic 101 Course extends over a 30 week period and so you DONT need to have your lectures in before the 18th of October.

2. ALL MEDIAS/FORUMS ARE WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GUEST LECTURE SERIES AS LECTURERS. This is a series about exposure of different levels of techniques and talent. If you think you have something to contribute but are not sure--contact me and I will provide you with additional information.

idcrisis55
10-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Oh, dear. I seem to be the only one here from the Watercolor forum. Guess I'll have to sit in the back of the class so no one can see the paint stains on my clothes.

I think I have a #2 pencil somewhere, so if I can find it I'll join in.

Edit: Oh, good! There's Jackie - guess I only read the first 40 posts and missed her. Come on back here, Jackie . . .

I normally hang out in the Watercolor Forum too Cathie, but I will be here with a #2 pencil on Monday. When I saw the thread in the WC Forum my first thought was hooray! I ordered the book today so hopefully it will be here soon.

All of you that are offering your time and experience are just great to do this. Thanks loads,
Ann

nanphe
10-13-2004, 03:26 PM

Cathie, I'm from the Watercolor forum, too, and I'm looking forward to this drawing class. My drawing skills really need some work.

Nancy

JudyL
10-13-2004, 04:34 PM
To many to read, but I want to keep up on this.
JudyL

djdedman
10-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Looks like lot of us from Watercolor are going to be here. shhhhh :D

You guys are so kind to give us your time and talent like this, please accept my sincere thanks.

I had signed up for a beginning drawing class by correspondence, paid for it, never got to finish, the time passed by. Hubby in and out of hospital so this will work out great for me and especially the price is right. :p

Jackie

JayD
10-13-2004, 05:13 PM
you can finish this at your own pace--so your only overhead will be some supplies (which most already have) and some time. Have fun.

I will try to tailor some of the stuff toward watercolor as we go along and add some addtional basic projects to the courses as well to try to cover different needs. Thanks for participating.

Fireman's kid
10-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Okay, I'm going to sneak in the back here with the other people from the Watercolor forum. :wave: I really need this class and since JayD has repeated said...
you can finish this at your own pace
I'm going to take him at his word. :D

This is a busy time of year for me, but since I occassionally come over to this forum just to envy your drawing skills I can't pass up the course.

One request is all I have...please keep your laughter (over my drawings) to yourselves. :p

rainboes
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
:wave: :D Hey JayD maybe you can schedule a brisk walk for all us. That is a good thing that I am sure we all can't seem to find the time to do.

At least we could do a few stand up and stretch breaks. :D

Pencil in hand, open book, ready, set, go. Bobbye

JayD
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi, Bobbye--I have a 45 minute brisk walk scheduled in the evening every other day to help control my blood sugar. My siser and I are both diabetic and it is amazing how much good a small walk like that does. If you can fit it in, I wholehearted reccomend you try it.

Welcome Fireman's Kid. Be warned this course starts at the very beginning and that means straight lines but also make sure you keep checking the guest lectures to see what we have there. Look forward to seeing your work.

...and thanks especially to Jet for JetSkiing over to the Watercolor Palace. :D and banging on the doors.

Pars
10-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks for spreading the word. I'm in too. Been doing doodles on me own, but this will be a great opportunity to push my self-imposed limits.

I have my pencil, sketchbook and a willing 1st Monday. :cat:

Cathie Jones
10-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Yep, thanks Jet! We watercolor people can be a pretty reclusive bunch - we needed you to kick the door open!

Now I need to go back to the first page and find out what I'm supposed to be doing. I also ordered the book today, so can't start reading just yet.

Jet
10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2004/27782-sofa.gif
I'm glad more pals from the "wet side" are joining JD's 101 Course :wave:

..get your your books, sharpen tools....Draw !!..warming up... :D

See ya next monday... :wave:

Christie
10-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Count me in too. Sounds very interesting and I must admit it has been a long time since I have picked up my pencils...

JayD
10-14-2004, 08:05 AM
I will make sure that I point some stuff to our friends from the "Wetlands". I am very excited to have you all.

Bioartist
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Question - this initial drawing, how 'detailed' is it meant to be, is it just a sketch, or a more detailed drawing???
Sorry to be a pain.
Stacey

llanpe
10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
:clap: :clap: Welcome to all that nice people fom "watercolour".
Jay, do you think will be a good idea if you post a thread in different forums (portraiture, figure ....)?, probably many more people will be interested to participate in the Class.
Peter

JayD
10-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Bioartist, I was tryng to figure out the question but I see you are referring to the pre class assignment. It should be something that you CANNOT draw--soemthing difficult for you to handle. 'The aim is to take what we learn and apply it to the final course studies--that is how we will gage progress--so you can be as detailed or as loose as you want for this first assignment. :)

Peter, I think Jet is our official ART sales rep--he is doing it but be careful--some forums might resent the intrusion and I don't want us accused of spamming--check with Murray or Gavin before proceeding. Thanks! :)

Fireman's kid
10-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Be warned this course starts at the very beginning and that means straight lines

Straight lines you say. That's fine as long as I can use my trusty ruler or t-square. Wait a minute...I just checked the supplies list...no mention of a ruler there! Ahhhh... :eek: No, just kidding! Believe me I am happy to start at the beginning.

Boy, it seems we are having a watercolor forum field trip over here. I hope everyone turned in their permission slips. :p

JayD
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Nope, no rulers, TSquares, S curves, French Curves--you are free to use your free hand. :D

It gets better after the first couple of lessons which are basic in the purest sense. :)

Turn your permission slips into Gavin--he is the principal. :D

mhimeswc
10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
JayD, where should we post the pre-class assignment?

Michelle

JayD
10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
You don't post it until Monday, October 18--you post it on the same thread as the class and we can talk about each picture posted as a class. :)

Christie
10-14-2004, 09:05 PM
I forgot to mention that I was from the wet side (love that term!) as well.

Guess I will start drawing something I cannot draw.... hmmmm, so many choices.:D

Permission slip signed and returned to the office. Dust blown off pencils and paper has been procured. I feel like I am starting school all over again! :p

moccasin
10-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Hey, can I turn my permission slip in from the Photography Forum? I want to play here, too!

I can't afford the book so will have to settle for just picking things up in the thread as we go along. I'll get a sketch book tomorrow and a pencil and an eraser.

I used to draw many, many years ago, and paint, too. But I haven't done it for so long ... there was a time about 40 years ago when I was a teenage dropout that I thought I wanted to be a fashion designer/artist. My folks talked me out of it and I still wish they hadn't. I took oil painting lessons when I was 12 - eeks! That was 40 + years ago!!! *Checks the mirror again to see if that old lady has vacated the front seat yet!*

Just wanna say thanks to all the Artners for sharing their skills - this is gonna be exciting!

Is there a special place we have to "sign up"?

Cheers,
Sue

djdedman
10-15-2004, 06:09 AM
Sue,
Just a suggestion, try your local library, I did.
Jackie

JayD
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Library? What's THAT?......oh yeah....full of words, friiendly....booky smell....yeaaaah! :D

The book is not a requirement--but is strongly reccomended. Library is an excellent idea.

Welcome to drawing and sketching--we definitely love to have you! :clap:

greenhoop
10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
OK i'll give it a go.Sounds interesting and got to improve my drawing anyway.

resgene
10-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Count me in too, I can't wait. :)

- Michelle

JayD
10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Welcome, Resgene to the forum and Greenhoop--glad to have you on board.

Attention those of you from the wetlands--I am looking for a plein air demonstrator for the Guest Lecture series if any of you are interested...just drop me a pm for details.

Paapu
10-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Its been a long time since i got any action going, guess i will joing the gang too!
so the drawing that we have to post on 18th.. should it be like a sketch / a perfectly finished piece ... or ??? any medium?

Thanks for doing sucha wonderful job am sure lots of them are going to find this really useful! :clap:

paapu

Cathie Jones
10-15-2004, 01:50 PM
so the drawing that we have to post on 18th.. should it be like a sketch / a perfectly finished piece ... or ???
paapu

This was my question, too. I spent about 30 minutes free-handing a little boat that I've been having trouble with - and then saw a thread with a couple of 30-hour beauties in it. Do you want lots of time spent doing the best we can do on the pre-drawing, or something sketchy???

Hi Christie and Fireman's Kid - good to see more wet ones!!

JayD
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
It needs to be a picture that gives you problems. Miy problem pics for example are shelties. I would not overwork the project and try for something entirely finished because this is also your FINAL project--through out the course you are going to be coming back to this project and redoing it as it pertains whatever particular subject the class happens to be covering. The idea will be to get you to experience differnet approaches.

Jet
10-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi welcome !!

OOps !! had to edit it!! sorry.. JD already has answered that question!
--------------
This course is intended to be done in graphite pencil, as basic courses usually start...
That way we all work on the same level and it's easier for everyone to stay focused on a single medium...
Beginners are looking forward to comparing their jobs with those jobs of the more advanced, being easier to judge our work's flaws by comparing them on a single medium,;
Let's be aware that, the art works of the skilled and more advanced members, will serve as guidance and inspiration to us beginners/intermediate artists, hence the single medium approach.

Thanks for participating !! :wave:

Regards

Cathie Jones
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks, guys. I have to admit, I'm so bad at drawing, the more I tried to "perfect" my little boat, the worse it became!! So, I'll stop now . . . and hope there will be some perspective lessons! :D

JayD
10-15-2004, 02:11 PM
OH YEAH--there will be perspective lessions--that will actually be covered sooner then later.

JayD
10-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Jet, if you are a beginner then I am a large green Muppet! :D

Mybubblewall
10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm definately in!

JayD, thanks for giving me that final kick in the pants to convince me to join in the fun. You are doing such an excellent job organizing all this! :clap:

daniellat
10-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi - can anyone join? I can't draw worth anything, and desperately need to learn. This sounds perfect. Thanks.

Daniella

JayD
10-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Absolutelyh--the first class is VERRRRRRY basic-as a matter of fact you wil only be doing straight lines--(honestly, i am so nervous about the first class being a disappointment because of the skill level of all the artist here, that I almost skipped the first section but then I decideed to take the plunge anyway)--then the following week we start breaking down things. See if you can do the pre class assignment if you can--try to get the book but if you can't the course will try to faithfully follow the book so there should not be a problem. :)

Jet
10-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Mr Muppet, thanks for your kind attention to this excellent thread !! :clap:

One additional note....

JayD, don't worry starting form the very beginning, it's imperative to start as if we know 'zip' about drawing, as that's the only way we will find some flaws that have become vices, being so hard to detect and we so unwilling to leave behind...

A couple of days ago, I was reading a book, or an article on Drawing (-can't recall title, but it will ring somebody's ear somewhere)..
And the author says that when he went to work for a Large illustration firm, the boss asigned him his cubicle and gave him, a large bunch of drawing papers together with his assignement for the day: To draw circles in every size one after another , filling one sheet and following with the next one ....on and on, until he completed 8 straight hours of doing circles !!!!!
...And he was already a "pro" that was hired for illustrating comic books and the like.....
So i guess we could as well start doing the circles' assignement, at least for 30 mins daily and you'll see, how different we relate to the piece of paper we have before us...

So , my friend, Don't worry about it... The more basic we can start the better the result we'll get, at the end !
Keep it up...you're doing 100% the right thing !! http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Regards !

JayD
10-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Jet, thank you--I needed to hear that right now as the day approaches. Opening night gitters I guess. :)

rangerette
10-17-2004, 09:12 AM
hey jet

that quote about the 8 hour circle doodles was tao nguyen from prosketch.com - :)

-tracy

Jet
10-17-2004, 11:46 AM
hey jet

that quote about the 8 hour circle doodles was tao nguyen from prosketch.com - :)

-tracy

:wave: Thanks a lot !!
I knew somebody would know about it !!

Thanks

Regards !!

Deb Leger
10-17-2004, 01:07 PM
HI! I'm from the watercolour forum too and am looking forward to this class. Count me in! I work all day though, so won't be able to check in until monday night.

Thanks for putting this altogether!

Deb

JayD
10-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Deb, we look forward to having you participate! :wave:

Strawberry Wine
10-17-2004, 09:49 PM
I am in for sure .

I am tired and obviously missing something. I have a good excuse though I have been entertaining two Aussies from the Water Colour Forum this past week ( Sorry, JJ and Alan; thats my story and I am sticking to it)

My question is do I sign up here on W.C. somewhere or on the link to the Drawing starts with Scribbling site?

Cheers

Gail

JayD
10-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi,Gail--I remember you--I stopped by the watercolor forum when I first came here and I seem to remember that you were the first person who responded to my hello and you were very nice. Hello :wave: :wave:

You don't sign up--the class will be posted here first thing tomorrow morning (Ameerikeen tyme). All you have to do is just attend and do the excercises. Look forward to having you--word of warning--this course starts from scratch and builds upward so there will be a LOT of stuff that you already know but it will pick up soon.

hamsterdance
10-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Count me in on this. My drawing skills need a lot of improvement.

A question - will there be any lessons on using stuff like conte or earth-toned pencils (sepai, sanguine, etc)? I've been wanting to learn how to draw using those media so they look like the Old Masters stuff and never can get it right.

JayD
10-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi, Hamster dance--welcome and glad to have you aboard--The first class is stickied at the very top of the forum.

We will not but covering the sepias and such BUT alfredart has done a demo using the dewnets--he is quite the master himself on these pencils--take a look at this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211338

Bioartist
10-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Could we get an update on what lectures are taken (for the guest lectures), so I know which one I can volunteer for??
thankyou
Stacey

JayD
11-01-2004, 12:04 AM
You can go to

And anything that is not linked is available but remember that subjects by multiple artists are acceptable so that the student can get various viewpoints. right now we hava lot that are available so pick away--pm me and let me know what you will be doing--OH, feel free to do multiple topics. :)

Jade Scarlett
02-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi everyone. :clap:

JayD
02-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi, Jadee--welcome to the class--dive right in and post as you go and don't worry about catching up--just move at your own pace. We're in no hurry and most of all--have lots and lots of fun!

Also, there are subbies roaming the landscape so if you have questions just ask and one of us will be there for you. You should also stop over at class 13 and say hello to everyone there! :)

Jade Scarlett
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Hello:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll enjoy the classes. I have a question. Should I do the firts 12 on my own without posting anything and then start posting on class 13 or should I just post my assignments for each class where they belong? Also, I notice on the pdf files that there are some assignments on a chair and some spheres, etc, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Do I just use the picture of the chair on the file or do I draw from an actual chair? Last but not least, thank you for the time and effort you're putting into this and giving so many of us an apportunity to learn and practice.

Jade
(the extra "e" was only because there's already someone using Jade, which by the way is my actual name) And the funny thing is that when you read Jadee it sounds just like your name: JayD :clap:

sultry
02-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi Jade & welcome :wave:
All classes have assignments and you can post each assignment to that particular class.

You may start in any class you like but to get a better art education I advise you to start at the beginning because each step is a very good helpful tool for the next class. For instance class one teaches you to hold the pencil and how to use the pressure when sketching. Class 2 teaches you perspective so when you do get to class 7 the mid term class you have a better understanding on how to place your subjects in the picture. :)

If you do any class assignment post it in that particular class, So if you are doing class 13, then post it in that class. :)

Have fun and glad to have you as a classmate.
Oh, always remember to rate the threads you take. :)

All classes are in the above Learning Center to the right is a yellow arrow pointing to the D/S (click that link) you will see all classes to present.

I will look for the chair photo for you and post it at the end of class 1 ( I think it is from that class) if it is not I will post it in the correct class it belongs.

Jade Scarlett
02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Hello Sultry:

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I'll start posting as soon as I finish the first assignments. By the way, where can I get some help on how to do this posting thing. I'm a little technologically impaired, not very good at these things.

Jade

sultry
02-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Jade,
When you post an image just click on reply to thread write your post then scroll down to Additional Options in white font and on a blue line. Underneath it is a button {Manage Attachments} click on that.
You will have an option to upload 5 images. click on the browse button it will go to the documents in your computer so you can upload.
click on upload after you pick your image. click on close this window and then submit reply.
To make sure your image will take always make sure it is at least 500 x 600 pixels. I will always put the 600 wdth and it sometimes will be 430 x 600 but it will take.
good luck can't wait to see your posts. :cat:

Jade Scarlett
02-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Sultry:

Here's my pre-assignment drawing (horse) along with the chair (I used one from my kitchen since I couldn't find the file with the picture of the chair everyone else used. Also I've attached some of my drawings.They mean a lot to me. I was made to believe that I had no talent at all since I was little, so the fact that I finally managed to overcome this major trauma and actually find the courage to draw is huge to me. I know my drawings are far from good, but to me, the most important thing is that I'm finally realizing a lifelong dream.
I'm working really hard to catch up with the classes but I must confess I'm having a hard time with the perspective thing. It's ok with the text and the exercises but when it comes to apply to a real box and draw it from life, oh dear, it's hard. But I'm trying.

Jade :cat:

CiciNParadise
04-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Question or actually questions plural....
I am a high school art teacher badly in need of a virtual kick in the pants to start seriously drawing again. I have been so busy raising kids, my own and other people's that my skills are seriously deteriorated. I have read through many of the threads here and this would appear to be what the doctor ordered, however many of the dates are in the somewhat distant past. Is it possible to start in on the lessons and get some feedback? At one point, I used to be pretty good, and I would like to return to that level. I would appreciate any information you can give me. As for the book, do you know if it is still in print? I am going to look for it at the main Half-Price Books in Dallas-so with all of the colleges nearby, I am hoping it will turn up. Thanks for the information. :cool:

Judi1957
04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Hi CiciNParadise! :wave:
Welcome, and you have the job I always have wanted-Lucky you! So many people here have situations similar in the fact that we stopped drawing because of staring families. So, jump into Class1 and post your work or questions there. You can also stop in Class 17 and introduce yourself. I just posted this all in Class 1 and you can read my last post there welcoming another new member.
The 'How to Draw What You See' by Rudy De Reyna is most certainly in print. I just got mine in October from Amazon.com. I imagine it is widley available.
Welcome aboard!

CiciNParadise
04-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the information. I am off tonight to find the book. I don't know about having the job of anyone's dreams, although I think I have surprised a few kids that never thought they could draw and ended up doing very well. I have a friend who is a photographer and attended Art Center who has the theory that to love what you do artistically, you can't do it professionally. I hope that isn't true, but having worked in graphic design, I know deadlines have a way of killing creativity. I look back at my work in college and I don't recognize it. I need to get that back again. I am going to do this and try to keep at it. My only hurdle is the time I will be getting my AP certification in June-but then again, maybe that will rekindle the spark as well. I am looking forward to this! :clap:

JayD
04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Jadee and Cici--I wanted to stop in and Welcome you to Basic 101--if you have questions, you can pm any of us or just post on the thread. It is great to see you guys starting up.

By the way, perspective is the big bear of us all so dont worry. Lastly, take your time and move at your own pace. You will be surprised how fast your will get though these Socratic lessons. Again, welcome and have lots of FUN!!! :) :clap: :)

dragonfruit
05-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Hello!!
This is my first contact, although I've been lurking for quite a long time.

Am I too late for this class?

Ren

sultry
05-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Ren & Welcome to WC 101 :wave: Your not late at all.
You can post a pre drawing in class 1 so we can see what level you are in your rendering. We are glad you decided to stop lurking and join us.
In class one go ahead and read what JayD has posted for the first class assignment.
Mainly class 1 is to get you used to holding the pencil and drawing more loosely then what you are used to (if you draw in the writing position). JayD, I, Judi, and other class subbies are always around to check on your work. :cat:

Each class JayD will post the assignment, you will note that Deb & Cathie have a link to get all the 101 classes in pdf form if would like to save them so you can just read the assignment. It is good to look at the whole class threads too, you may catch a good pointer that was mentioned and is not in the pdf files.

jarrahkwali
05-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to learn how to draw on my own for quite a while now, and I'm still not too happy with how I've progressed (very little) so I'm going to give this a try! It seems easy enough with all the support everyone offers! :clap: It might take me a while for each of the assignments, I'm trying to learn both on paper with pencils and on the computer as well... Perhaps that is why I haven't learned too much, I need to focus on one first? Anyway, thanks for having this wonderful forum! :wave:

Ali :D

sultry
05-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Hiyas Ali & Welcome to 101 so glad to have you join us. :) Here is the link to class 1; If you go there and read the first part of what JayD has typed out, you will see what to do. Any questions, please pm us.
Any of us will be glad to help you.
class 1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763)

JayD
05-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah, Ali--what she said! Welcome to the class--please enjoy and there is no schedule that you have to follow. DO the first five classes in their order but after that you can juggle around the classes according to where your interest lies. Good luck, we are here so ask and above all--have a lot of fun!

Saleyard
06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
JayD
Here is my Pre Class assignment. I tried to draw this in colour pencil before joining WC. I found it very difficult to capture. It was so bad I destroyed it. Having now had the benifit of some advice from the forum and an article "Shades of grey" (Author: Cherie)this is a little better then the first effort. Whilst I have a long way to go a little advice has already helped thanks to WC members.
saleyard

JayD
06-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Did someone say colored pencils! That perked up the ol' ears. You are right--before moving into colored pencil you need to really nail a working drawing.. I think this 101 series of classes can help you. Right now I see an overall flatness in your work that can be fixed by applying and adhering to a few basic principles. Make sure that you constantly refer back to this drawing to gauge your improvement. The final assignment in this class series wil be to redraw this piece. Good luck and welcome to Basic 101!

sultry
06-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Hiyas Tony & Welcome to 101 also. That is a pretty flower & I am so glad you decided to join and enhance your artistic eye. What this course will do, is astound you if you desire to learn. The one thing you must realize is that to get where you want to be you will have to have a open mind to accept the constructive critiques that are only to help you to see things faster so you can reach the goal of what you really want to render.
I suggest that you write down why you want to improve your artskills title it "My Art Goal" and go back to it anytime you may feel you need to.
Being in this course with JayD and the others and also since I am one of the subbies I can honestly tell you we all do hit blocks in our learning (that is when you should read it).
Good luck and now your ready for 101 class 1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763). :)

Loreley13
06-16-2005, 02:58 AM
Hi All

Reasonably newbie here, been lurking for a little while and just found this class.

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for doing these classes :clap: !!!

I did 4 years of art in high school and never even knew there was more than one way to hold a pencil ROFL.

I'm off to do my first sketch as suggested.

thanks again
Lore

JayD
06-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Lore, Welcome to Basic 101--I am glad that you decided to join the sessions. You can contact me or the Subbies...oh heck...anyone in the class if you have any questions. Have fun!!!

Reinhard1
06-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Lore, may I jump in and welcome you to Basic 101 and to D&S as well. :wave:
We would like to know more about you ( I know we're nosy - :evil: ) there is a thread "where do we come from..." take a look at it and get to know many of our members. If you feel like it, it would be nice if you shared your "story" as well. Don't feel pressured, it's just a suggestion - and a hope

Loreley13
06-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, have added my post in the getting to know you thread not that its particularly interesting compared to some of them I've read in there LOL.

By story are you meaning my art story?? Not that much to tell suppose. Been doodling most of my life, was always in trouble in school for decorating my margins LOL. My great grandfather I'm told was quite an artist (note to self must ask mum what his name was LOL), done a bit of folk/decorative art, but always hankered to do the real life stuff. I suppose my main stumbling block is me wanting it to look exactly like a photo like the old masters. Maybe one day.....

Its Thursday night here so will promise to at least tackle the circles and have a crack at and posting and shading my reference picture this weekend.

Have had a crack at the drawing lines with the underhand method oh wow what a difference, have already had rsi (which is similar to carpel tunnel) so am not to keen to repeat that one. Feels a little weird but so much more relaxed will continue with it. Still amazed that after 4 years of being taught art in high school (tho many years ago now) something so basic wasn't taught.

Ok I gotta ask (yeah I know there's no such thing as a stupid question....) I read in one of these class threads about a brush?

thanks again this is gunna be so much fun :)
Cindy
(aka Lore)

puglover
08-03-2005, 01:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/64459-preclass.JPG
ok here is my sketch :D. very first sketch in yonks :D.
what do you think? oh and yeah i finally worked out how to
plug my scanner in :D yay!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/64459-preclass2.JPG
And the picture I was drawing from. Sorry the scan for this did not come
up very well.

:cat: oh and excuse the date i put on my sketch.. lol.. i didnt know the date.. just worked out i am way ahead.. lol

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 02:06 AM
See, pug, it wasn't so hard was it? :clap: :clap: :clap: :D And the drawing isn't bad at all (have a look at some of the other pre-class assignments or at Sults' before and after thread and you'll see that you're starting from a similar to position to many of us!) I especially like the fact that you've captured the slightly mournful expression of the dog. You've got the eyes looking up and have the highlights in them just right. The thing that perhaps throws it out a bit is the top of the front leg. If you look at the photo, you'll see that it goes back from the head at about 45 degrees, whereas you've got it going horizontally. You'll also notice that the joint in the middle of the leg is higher in the photo - about level with the ear on the other side of the dog. If you were to correct those points, I think the drawing would improve a lot.

Look forward to seeing more of your work now you've broken the ice! :D :D

puglover
08-03-2005, 02:19 AM
ok so dave what do I do now that i have done this pre-assignment?
go to class 1 or do i hang around here for more comments?

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 02:30 AM
ok so dave what do I do now that i have done this pre-assignment?
go to class 1 or do i hang around here for more comments?

I'd carry on to class 1, but check back for more comments as I'm sure there will be some later.

puglover
08-03-2005, 02:48 AM
ok one pre-class down..
how many classes to go?

Judi1957
08-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi Beck! :wave:
Great selection for pre-class assignment!
You have done a great job, :clap: You will redo this drawing later-(much-much later-we all have not yet been asked for this either). Before you move on look at your drawing and take some notes on what you see you have correct and areas that need worked on-what needs improvement and put this drawing away.
Throw nothing out!
On to Class 1 and straight lines. See you there!
I have a feeling you are going to do so-o-o well! :D

puglover
08-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks Judi.
Oh yeah thats right I haven't finished the assignment yet..
I am only half finished..
Part of it was to pick out the good and bad wasnt it.. Hmm.
The first arm isnt right.. the shading isnt right..
The eye closest to the viewer is good though :D
Oh and I am meant to say would i had trouble with.... how to allign the body to show it is going back if you know what i mean.. i think there is a word for this but i just cant think of it :D

JayD
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Pugsley, please also post your pre-class assignment in class one. One other thing--you cannot post a published photograph--especially from a magazine without first obtaining permission from either the publisher or the photographer. Please be careful about that point.

You obviously have an eye--I dont think this is a bad start at all. You need to pay attnetion to things like proportions, tone and value but these things will come. Pugs, I want you to obtain a sketch pad and I want you to sketch at least ONE live object a day. I want you to start posting the sketches in the sketching thread--do not be intimindated. Artist constantly sketch in order to hone their skills. Also, I want you to start doing the drawing from Dee's Weekly Drawing Thread and posting it there. This will help to immensley strenghtin your drawing skills.

Remember to repost this under class one. Very good start!

puglover
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
ok then jayd.
*thinks of all the weird things she could draw whilst on the train*
i dont think it is really sketching.. but could i try and reproduce the good graffiti..?
i could take a photo with my digital camera.. sketch and show you? or is this going a bit far? lol :)

JayD
08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
for right now do your sketches from life and then scan them. however, look each person or thing you do and try to break them down by geometric shapes.

puglover
08-03-2005, 07:58 AM
person..
hmm do you think my pug dog could go under that categorie?
i mean she is like a person :D
she is like my sister :)
Or do you think that is to hard to try and tackle for now?

sultry
08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Hiyas Pugs, Ok my turn, Dave, Judi & Jay all have said what is needed but I want to say one more thing to you.
I am so proud of you for posting & also I really like how you shaded the body to look round I like how the body is darker on one side and how you used the strokes to follow the form of the body in a upward upside down almost V shape. Do you see what I mean? See how the body seems to look more 3d than the legs do?
All you need to do is use the same type shading strokes you used for the body on the legs.
This is what we call contour shading, you look at your subject and figure out how the form is shaped. Later you will see easier ways in sketching that form and filling in the strokes for the form in the classes for each geo shape. I know those classes will greatly benefit you because you have a good foundation already. :)
Yes, Dave is right, go back to the Learning Center, and find the Lurker thread and treat your eyes to before & afters of other artists who started really take to heart and practice their techniques to improve the drawing skills. You will be amazed at the results of their labor. Also, you will be amazed at some of them have even improved even more so since that thread was posted.

This is very good for your first one. I already see your eye sees more then realize. :)
As Jay said, life drawing (Practice) is very good for your improvement but you must see what you need to improve also.

puglover
08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Yes I was trying to do that V thing.
But did not know what to do on the legs because it goes in a differenct direction as does the fur.. So thought I needed to do something different. I usually start most things out with shapes.. Then dont really know where to go from there.. Hmm not much left to draw at the moment. I just put my star model to bed (my pug Grace, you will hear alot about grace and see a lot of sketches of her because i am mad about her :D). So for tonight.. I will just draw the boring objects in my room. Hmm what about simpsons figurines? they are interesting to look at and draw? lol. ok simpsons figurines it is. sorry no life here at this time of night. man this art thing is addictive. this is going to sound strange and might light the fire to a fight.. but.. i actually really hate drawing.. i only do it because i like the feeling when i am finished.. and thing it is worth it just for that second.. and it is like a challenge for me.. like 'yes' you can do it.. and it lifts my self esteem at the end... but i feel totally different about scribbles. at the time i enjoy them.. yet when i am finished.. i am rather embarrassed cause they are crummy. weird huh. although when the subject is fun i really do tend to like drawing. usually when the model is my pug grace really :D sorry if these comments offended anyone.

mhimeswc
08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
I have to say, that's a pretty good first drawing. I, myself, find animals difficult. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Michelle

AceHarddrive
08-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello y'all (you too, JayD)!

The drawing books I own include:
-Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Betty Edwards)
-Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook (Betty Edwards)
-How to Draw What You See (Rudy de Reyna)
-How to Draw Lifelike Portraits from Photographs (Lee Hammond)
-Keys to Drawing (Bert Dodson)
-Advanced Drawing Techniques (Matti Kataja)
The ones I still want to buy include:
-Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil (J. D. Hillberry)
-Drawing from Line to Life (Mike Sibley)

I posted over on DT2 about learning from these books and the WC Basic101 class and was advised by Vince Whitehead that it would be to my benefit to do Betty Edwards' book first, followed by Rudy de Reyna's, followed by the WC Basic101 class. I only told Vince about Edwards' and de Reyna's books, not the others. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of following that plan (as well as "integrating" the other books into the plan)?

Bytheway, if you see any numbers in my posts in strange places, don't worry! It's just a result of a FireFox browser extension. Helps with navigation (supposedly).

Thanks everyone!
~Tim :wave:

Grasshopper
08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
I need some advice. I am flat on my back (as of today, for 6 wks. now), and just waiting to have back surgery. I don't have access to my art studio upstairs but have graphite pencils and paper here on my bed. It's awkward to draw in this prone position but I practiced a little yesterday and it's working out - fair. Problem is, I can't get to my scanner to post a new drawing. I only have access to drawings I've posted previously, or already have on my computer (to use for pre-assignment). I will probably be like this for a few months more. Do you recommend that I just wait until I've recovered? I mean, how fast is this going to go before I need to be in positions off my back, so to speak... It's been said everything's at our own pace, but, can't one get too far behind from what's happening?

Thanks everyone. By the way, JayD, you are so danged funny you compelled me to do this...

sultry
08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of following that plan (as well as "integrating" the other books into the plan)?

Hello Tim, I am under the impression you are just asking this question? I can only speak for myself as to what worked for me. I read the Betty Edwards book years ago, I did not learn much from it as I have learned from this class. The reason being I am able to post my work and have it c&c and also I am able to look at others and c&c. I think what gave me a big break through was to c&c other work. You cannot do that with a book.

Really, everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for another. I know some people do not benefit by the use of drawing upside down (just ask our own JayD). I do know some did, I can see the shapes upside down but really I am more comfortable sketching right side up.
Well the De Reyna book is great too but to be honest it would not of helped me much if not for Jayd and this basic 101. I did not get my book till probably in the 12th class ( I have taken them all so far).

Hello Grasshopper, first sorry to hear about your back surgery. I do not know what is allowed while in bed but if drawing is allowed, by all means do draw. It is a relaxing and satisfying thing to do. It is a feeling of accomplishment too.
Regarding, not being able to post your work, I know that we could not help you without seeing your work.

If you sketch your pre class now, save it for when you do have the ability to scan it later.

In the mean time, I would practice the basics of learning how to hold the pencil and how to do the strokes with the pencil. Practice only if you can do this if your doctor allows it. I do not know if you could, if your flat on your back. If you cannot practice the way class one advices to, then I would wait. IF you can, then do study the geo shapes. Look at how they are drawn and practice to sketch them as perfect as you can. Getting the strokes & shapes is great basic for your drawing future.

This class does so well with the students because of the posting and C&C so in time you will need to find a way to post your work.

AceHarddrive
08-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Grasshopper: So sorry to hear of your back problem. Do you have anyone there who can scan your drawings for you? If not, I'd do like Sultry suggests and work on holding the pencil/pencil strokes...Then post your work when you can.
Sultry: I am seriously interested in what others have to say. JayD might benefit more by turning the paper upside-down instead of standing on his head! :p
I think your advice is a good one, Sultry. I'll go ahead and work on the class, then work with the other books in due time. Thanks for the advice!

~Tim :wave:

JayD
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I would not do the Brain Book until you have some basics down first. Also, the basics classes have evolved around the DeReyna books--it is our class book by the way. Seriously, though I would approach the Edwards book later. Also, when you do her book it is helpful to pick up the workbook.

The emphasis on this class is about seeing and breaking down the image into geometric shapes.

AceHarddrive
08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks JayD! Much appreciated!
Bytheway, I LOVE your new avatar!

~Tim :clap:

Lynnefibreart
08-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Hi

I am a newbie, both to drawing and to this board, and I would like to join in if its not too late?

I'm not very up on how boards work, so I hope I am posting in the right place. If I understand it correctly, I have to do a pre-course drawing, something that I need to keep the original as well as I will be doinbg it again later?

I am not sure about how to post pics - could someone tell me how to do this please?

Lynne

JayD
08-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Tim--Hey, Thanks!!!!

Lynne, welcome to 101--I think you understood it exactly and we would love having you aboard. 101 is an ongoing forum project--you should o the first five classes and then you can jump around according to your taste. You will find that Judi, Sults and I as well as others check into these classes so do not be afraid to ask--we are always lurking--so lets see your preclass assignment!! And again, welcome!

AceHarddrive
08-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Hey JayD!
After reading through the first few classes (up through eight or nine), I notice no mention is made of use of hatching (after the first class), crosshatching, circulism... It's not even covered in the book! Will this be covered later on?

~Tim :wink2:

JayD
08-24-2005, 11:12 PM
no, I never covered those areas during my tenure but you certainly may want to mention to Troy that you want them covered. I started, after a while, to listen to what people wanted--that is why you dont find the book to be an exact guide. deReya is good but he did not cover everything and that is what our class should do--so suggest it by all meants.

Now in the one on the tree--your will see that Sults uses the circular stroke technique (circulism) to really nail in some darks.

sultry
08-25-2005, 07:32 AM
I am not sure about how to post pics - could someone tell me how to do this please?Lynne

Hiyas Lynne, & Welcome to WC D/s Basic 101 :), Jay already answered a couple of your questions, I will answer how to post your images.

After you post your words, enter 2x then insert your image.

First at the bottom you will see the choice to, either post a quick reply or go advance.
click Go Advance, it will take you to a new window with more options to post with. You will see at the top of the white box (where you type your post) that you have a tool bar.
You will see you have options to edit your font, your paragraphs ect...
Do you see the white smiley face? Do you see the scissors? next to it the icon for copy and next to that the icon for paste? Right under the paste icon is the icon for image (that is a yellow sky with brown mountains and brown sun or moon).
Click on the image icon
You come to a window that asks you to browse (click on that)
You will open your computers files and you can select your image that way.
once you have picked it, upload it.
once it is uploaded it will show on a window, it may be too big and you may get an error message but its ok, because the uploader will auto size it for you.
just click on your image and it will be set in your post.

JayD
08-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Yikes!!! Sorry, Lynne!!!

Lynnefibreart
08-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Hi

First off, thanks for having me - its great to be able to join in after this has been running so long.

I have been reading the first lessons, and have a question on lesson one already - sorry!

JayD - you say 'create 20 three dimension spheres using ONLY LINES'

I do have 'the book' but can't find anything about this - not sure what you mean if we are talking about straight lines? sorry to be so dumb. and am I supposed to post all of these these 20 drawings?

Lynne

JayD
08-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi, Lynn--the drawing of the 3d spheres is only an excercise to prepare you for handling lines. Lines are the core starting point of a picture. Most pieces start with some sort of line drawing. Also, it is to help you build an awareness that, with the barest essentials, you can create drawing.

Do twenty do 10,000 or more of them but I did not want you to freak. Practice practice practice--that is the point.

Post your best ones for us to see.

Regarding the de reyna book--we had a screaming Cassandra (for reference, see the Illiad) who was going on about copyright infringement--I had obtained permission from Watson Guptill to use the book but I do think that she made a valid point at some level so I do not use the examples from the book--just the classes and the table of contents as a course guide. HOWEVER you will also see that we wonder, frequently off the beaten trail when suggestions are made for types of classes.

The book is a reference text for additional devlopment--it makes it easier to do 101 having it around. Hope this helps, Lynne.

sultry
08-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Hiyas Lynne to add to what Jay said, I would like to invite you to take a look at the assignments another way too.
If you are not sure of how to go about it, go into the class and see how prior classmates posted their assignment. Read what Jay told them and maybe that can give you a better understanding of what you need to post. I know sometimes just seeing C&C on others work has helped me to understand the assignments better.
If your still not sure, you can always post what you think it might be, and we all here to C&C your work. :)

Lynnefibreart
08-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi

Sorry to be a pest, but how do I go and look at the assignments? I had a look around but I can't seem to find anything

Lynne

Judi1957
08-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Lynne :wave:
The Classes are in the Learning Center at the top of the forum. Here's a link. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276503)
Glad to have you with us! :)

Tiger33
10-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi :wave:

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.
I have been seriously drawing for a year now and have so much to learn..hey that's why I am here.
I am not sure where to start but I will figure it out somehow.
Looking forward to start!!!

Glad to meet you all :)

Angela.

Judi1957
10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Angela! :wave:

Glad to have you with us!! :clap: :clap:
First do your pre-class assignment.
Here is a link to the Classes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276503) and here are the Classes in pdf format (http://www.americanrag.com/Basic%20101/basic_101.htm) in case you want to print out the instructional/assignment verbage and the teacher's drawings to keep it in a notebook.
See ya soon! :)

Tiger33
10-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Thank you Judi :)

I am already working on my pre-class assignment .
it will take me a while though .

Bye!

Angela.

Chloe_1
10-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Wow! I am sure happy to have found this class.. I am a bit late..Just found out about it today

Chloe_1
10-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Can anyone please tell me where I post my sketch..Do we start our own thread or is there a special place to post it?
Thanks

Mary Woodul
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi Chloe! You post your sketch right here as you post in any thread not started by you. If you notice the drawings posted before you they are posted right in the thread with manage attachments or the Image Loader. We will be looking forward to seeing your work.

Chloe_1
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Tks.mlelevier;-) :wave:

bendstraw
11-24-2005, 05:32 PM
here is my pre class drawing. feel free to laugh:D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bendstraw/scan03.jpg

Judi1957
11-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi Ben! :wave:
This is a good attempt and you wait a few classes and see how you improve! :)
So you are interested in doing portraits-that is great-a few of us here in Class are interested in improving in that area as well.
Write down where you feel you need improvement here-based on your drawing and go to Class 1 and start that lesson.
Remember there is a .pdf link in my signature for an all instruction guide to the lesson. Though I do recommend you read some of the posts in the Classes as you can always learn from others work as well.
See you later :wave:

bendstraw
11-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Im mostly interested improving as an artist as a whole. I hope through practice and this forum Ill find my artistic calling. Weither it be portraits or anything else. I was always interested in pieces like Frank Frazetta or any kind of horror but the more I study the more Ill know what works best.

Judi1957
11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Ben,
That is good! In my opinion - if you focus just on one thing-you are also limiting yourself.
As you enjoy Frank Frazetta's work-then you will enjoy Class 15 - Fantasy. :)

Kasartis
01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I originally posted this is the wrong thread so I'm reposting it here:

Well I'm late for class but I thought I'd come in anyways.
If I'm not wrong, I understand the first thing to do in Class 1 is to post a drawing of something that we were intimated to draw.
So I'm posting a picture of a vintage fan which has both rusty and shiney metal which I wasn't too sure about before I started. It's not finished yet (the cage around the blades are just mostly lines at this point and the table it is sitting on hasn't been started but since we have to redraw it again at the end of the class I thought I'd post it in it's unfinished state.
I'm attaching both the drawing and the photo reference.

Troy Rochford
01-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Thank you Kathy, sorry about the confusion.:)

formerlyunknownart
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Well its always nice if one is coming late to class that they walk in with another latecomer ;)

Ok, here's some history behind this drawing... I really like hands and so my friend sent me a picture of his hands to draw. I'd never drawn hands before and had very little experience with portraits, so here's what I came up with.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/71338-000_2502.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/71338-_Glory_to_the_Goddess_.jpg

Shalaka
01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi!

Good to see I'm not the only latecomer here! Had wanted to join the 101 class for some time now, but couldnt due to some stuff... so before I miss any more classes, I should post my pre-class assignment.. I just did this a couple of days ago. Actually its also posted in a thread called 'Cricketer Portrait'. So here goes, and looking forward to the classes!(I am hoping this is the right place to post the drawing)

Thanks,
Shalaka
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/67003-sachint.jpg

Troy Rochford
01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Groovy, Shalaka! Posting here is fine. You should have classes 1,2, and 3 done by what? Noon tomorrow?

Shalaka
01-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks Troy! You seem to have too much faith in my artistic abilities! You may be in for a good reality check! :D

JayD
01-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Just a reminder everyone--please make sure that you read the lessons at the beginning of each class. The preclass assignments are pictures that you want to come back and improve upon or approach from a different perspective. It is a way to gauge your improvement in your drawing. Shalaka,Melanie and Kasartis--I applaud your high aspirations.

Also, remember that the first five classes which are the bare basics are freehand only. after the first five you may use grids, tracing, taxi cabs or seeing eye dogs if the mood strikes your fancy. For the first, please rely ONLY on your keen eye and steady hand.

Everybody have fun!!!

formerlyunknownart
01-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks Jay,

ok, will get to those drawing assignments starting Monday... thanks for the mention.

Shalaka, nice to meet you and OH GOODNESS what an impressive drawing!! Can't see what there possibly is to improve upon but I really look forward to seeing what you will do after a few exercises under your belt. :)

Stressybessy
01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey All

Well, I'm about as late as I can possibly be, but I am not one for time keeping so here goes. Troy asked if I'd like to take part in the Advanced Portrait Class, and I do, so now it's catch up time (go America for not letting me work here yet!! - immigration has it's good points!!)

I started these a few weeks back. They are pictures of my kitties Ledley and Bubba. I'd never attempted animal drawings before because fur terrifies me. This as far as I got because I'm scared!!

Problems with these? They lack any kind of dimension, so they look flat. I know now I picked a bad reference, in that they were looking directly forward. I think they look too human, almost cartoonish. I really want to get into drawing animals but I have a looooong way to go. Anyway here they are. 11x8, sketchbook paper, a variety of pencils.

Danni

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/64967-kitties1.jpg

Judi1957
01-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Danni:wave:
Could you post this in Class 1 please?:)

Stressybessy
01-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Yep no problemo

Nan-By-The-Seashore
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm a new member...found the site in late summer, but had to put it aside until now. I've been reading in the Pre-Class threads and jumping round as the links have suggested and thoroughly enjoying getting to know the generous leaders and other members. I am pretty intimidated since I am truly a beginner, i.e. I need the basics class just to learn to draw. I have seen some incredibly beautiful and technically proficient drawings in other members' first drawings. I'm nowhere near one-tenth of some of you in the ability to draw what I see???? If you think it will be ok, I would like to join the class and learn. Initial question or two: Do I send the drawing showing all of the lines that it took to get the proportions/perspective correct, or do I send a tracing of the drawing only showing the darker lines? Also, is it best to use a digital camera or scanner when I am ready to attach a drawing? Third: Someone mentioned a thread concerning everyone's backgrounds, etc. I haven't been able to find it, so would like some help with that, or a link, if possible. Hopefully, I can join you all.

SparrowHawk7
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi All,

Troy told me one of the pre-requisites to taking his photorealism class is posting a drawing here .... rather than post something I'm doing now, I figured I'd put up my first attempt at drawing a portrait from 10 months ago. This was supposed to be Sarah Jessica Parker. I've improved some since then ...

Ken

GeorgeEen
01-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't know if it is good enough to siton, but here is my chair!

Judi1957
01-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Ken and George:wave:
Hate to ask you-but we are trying to keep all the pre-class assignments and Class One work in Class One-
Would you two mind reposting over there please.:)

GeorgeEen
01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Ken and George:wave:
Hate to ask you-but we are trying to keep all the pre-class assignments and Class One work in Class One-
Would you two mind reposting over there please.:)

Don't hate...I am still learning the confusions of WC :)
I will move my chair to Class 1. Maybe it sits better there anyway!

Judi1957
01-16-2006, 09:03 PM
TY George:)

Troy Rochford
01-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Get 'em, perspective monkey!!!!!;)

Anda G
01-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Here is my preclass assignment:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763&page=75

Number 1119

I posted there because I was told to do so. :D

I have since read that I need to post it here. So here is the link to over there. :p

Andagail :wave: :D

JayD
01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Nan, it looks like we ignored you. If you look at the beginning of each thread, there is a lecture for each class with assigments. NEVER START AT THE END --READ THE INTROS AT THE BEGINNING FIRST. YOU WILL SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF CONFUSION.

I think it is always good to see how you got to where you did so lets see all your lines if possible.

Regarding digital vs scanner--that is your call--either is just fine.

I am sorry that I did not get back to you earlier. I cannot wait to see your pre-class post.

Danni--now you put the cats aside right now, move on and do the lessons--when you have reached a point where you think you can see the improvement--go back and redraw these cuties using what you have learned. Then compare the two. It Works!!!

Hi Andagail--thats a cool name! note what I said above--we just retitled the lessons to make it less confusing but if you really want to get anything out of the classe ALWAYS read the lessons at the beginning of each class--you will find tips and practice assignments there. By the way--I royally sucked with that chair! We call it the demon chair now!

Anda G
01-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Thank, JayD. I thought I did read them. :D I "overlooked" a detail.

I have been calling that chair the :evil: chair. I still have to do it in perspective-ese. :D
Andagail

JayD
01-21-2006, 07:23 PM
You know I am still trying to remember which class the demon chair was orignially in--I know we used it for multiple classes.

karstenbuch
01-22-2006, 08:13 AM
O.K - Here's my PCA arriving at the right thread at last :D

Troy Rochford
01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Nan, it looks like we ignored you.
I am sorry that I did not get back to you earlier. I cannot wait to see your pre-class post.

No worries, boss:) Nan posted her questions in two threads and got them answered in the other. Everything's under control. Put down the gun and back away slowly.....:D

emme05
01-22-2006, 02:30 PM
UGHHHHH! Here is my PreClass Drawing, now we can all see just why glass intimidates me!!!:eek: I drew this yesterday, and good for me because now I get to redraw it shading it with lines only for class #1. Done whining...I want to learn and have Never attempted glass, so now is the time...I did briefly check out Class #23 and will definately NEED to revisit!!

Almost forgot: What I learned/want to improve on:
1. when get upset-walk away for a bit, continuing disturbed shows.(nice shading vs. scribbled shading)
2. Comparing this and the chair to the refs, I tend to draw vertical objects a bit narrow.
3. Work on VALUES, I tend to go too dark too fast in places I shouldn't, and need to keep the highlights.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2006/71747-preclassglass.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2006/71747-8354waterglassd.jpg

Troy Rochford
01-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Michele that shows a lot of promise. Stick with us and before long you can add glass master to your resume right behind apple goddess:)

emme05
01-22-2006, 02:39 PM
LOL!! Thanks Troy! I am hangin' 'round - learned so much already!

Ria
01-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Hello Everyone :wave:

Here's my pre-assignment drawing. I must tell you that I did this drawing when the Basic 101 class first started months and months ago; but life got in the way and I had to put it (the drawing) aside. I have more free time now, so I'm going to have another go at it.
I did this drawing because ellipses are my biggest headache; I just don't do them well. Also, you can see that my "shiny" pewter could use a little more shinyness. Those are two of my goals, but I hope to improve in all aspects of drawing.
So, I guess I'm ready to finally start lesson 1. Where did I put those spheres........I know that they're in one of my sketchbooks here.......... May have to start over on those. And I believe that I have to do my pitcher and eggs over, but using straight lines this time. Gosh, that should be interesting.

Rita

Nan-By-The-Seashore
01-22-2006, 08:59 PM
J.D., Troy is right. I received answers under two threads since I was confused about where to post. But, Thanks for going back and giving me some additional points to ponder. Will be posting soon. Thanks again! Nan:cat:

Amira
01-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi everybody :wave:

I've been lurking for a while here in D&S and especially the 101 class. I'm posting in the current CP class and thought it was about time I tried to learn to draw :rolleyes: ...

I meant to post my pre-class drawing, but I don't know if it's ok. It's more like a sketch, not a 'real' drawing like so many in this thread. I'm very interested in portraits so I chose this eye close-up (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=24923) from the library as my reference. The drawing more or less lifesize.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2006/5254-eye.jpg

Please tell me if this drawing doesn't meet the requirements and I'll do another.

So - I'm in the other classroom (class 1) posting my spheres.... :)

Thanks a lot for this great class!

Amira

Troy Rochford
01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Good stuff Amira! Welcome officially to 101. We'll keep an eye out for you in the early classes and the portraiture class as well:)

Amira
01-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Good stuff Amira! Welcome officially to 101. We'll keep an eye out for you in the early classes and the portraiture class as well:)

Thanks for the welcome Troy - and YES I'd loe to take part in the portrait class :clap:

I haven't found the right ref picture yet but try to decide on one by tomorrow and post it for comments in the appropriate thread.

Amira

robynsin
01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Hoping very much to join the Portrait class, I have started the process. After drawing my pre-class subject and the spheres and the chair - not sure if I will be up to Portraits, but know I certainly will benefit from the 101 classes. So here is my choice of an intimidating subject - a rose. I've had a lot of failures trying to paint flowers... this turned out better than my average attempt.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/66219-rose_sketch.jpg
Now I'm off to Class 1.
thanks
robyn

Robin Neudorfer
01-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Here goes...
I am posting a pre-class assignment that has intimidated me. Living beings.
I have no problem with perspective, chrome, glass, texture etc. But things with a soul have not been front and center. Quick sketches, life drawing, have done a bit of that, but to give the subject breath, that is what I am wanting to pursue. The other obstacle I face, is once I hit a wall or once I feel I have a handle on something I put it aside and move on. I really need to finish my work. This is why my pre-assignment is not fully completed. I want to move on to the portrait class. I am still having fun with this pre-class assign. so I will finish it up ...I will...I will...I will.

Amira
01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Robin - that's such a gorgeous kitty! Please do go on and finish it...

I'm also looking forward to the portrait class, see you there!

Amira

Judi1957
01-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Robin,:wave:
I really fail to see the intimation you feel in your drawing-I think kitty is adorable!!!! I can't wait to see him finished!

Robyn,:wave:
Lovely rose!
Oh I hope you do join us in the portrait Class! If not-you are correct-the Basic Classes are fab and you will definately benefit as everyone has.

Amira,:wave:
I love the eye!

Ria,:wave:
Great you are back with it! Beautiful vase!
You will have all that you ask for that you mentioned.

One thing ladies that is good to do is to write down where you need improvement based on your pca.

Michele:wave: Nice drawing and like your list!

Mary will be meeting you in Class One.:)

Troy Rochford
01-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Robin that cat is better than I could do right now, so you're setting the bar pretty high for yourself. I'll hold you to that, too!:evil:

Robin Neudorfer
01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah I thought about that Troy. I could have just pulled off a quick drawing and then shown improvement, but I do want to use this class to push myself to the next level. I haven't done much drawing in approx. 20 yrs, except at an elementary level. I hope you don't mind if I use these lessons to challenge myself. I realize they were not set up for that reason, but I have denied myself the chance to move forward for many reasons. I have found with your kind exceptance that the few classes that I have "crashed", I am once again generating work. It is a wonderful, careing community of various skills and styles. I am finding that drawing centers me, brings me back to my basic skills, and I feel extremely rusty. With your acceptance I would like to join your lessons if I may. I promise to do the lessons 1 - 5. Plus I like your jokes.

Thank you Amira and Judy. It is my personal challenge to complete this (and my garlic). I am intimidated by the fact that I have not drawn from life at this level of realism before. I can copy, but can I put life into the drawing. That will be the bar I set for myself, if Troy will allow me to join the class.

Troy Rochford
01-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Robin you weren't around so you probably don't know, but I took a break from wc and from art altogether for a while until this past summer. I got back to art by accident - had a lot of money waved in my face for commissioned work, and I needed the money. I came back to WC because I figured, well, I might as well totally jump back into things to keep myself motivated. That's also why I got involved with 101, and why I agreed to take over for Jay.

In short, you'll do just fine if that's your motivation;)

Robin Neudorfer
01-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Thank you Troy. Having taught art to little people, I appreciate all that you few do here in this classroom. Luckily you don't have the clean up at the end of the day. Just the frustration of having to communicate a visual through these darn keyboards. After just spending $25 on one tube of oil paint this week, I am sure my husband would love it if someone would wave some green stuff in my face.
Slow and steady, wins the race.

Amira
01-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Ok Judi, I'll write down my goals / what I want to improve.

My pca was really only a quick drawing, but I did post it since it I expected to have more problems with it than I had in the end (hmm... doesn't make sense, does it?).

I want to improve drawing freehand (no gridding, no lightbox), and as a next step drawing from life. I'm interested in portraits so I really need to get my inital drawing right or I'll just give up on a piece out of frustration.
Another thing is to actually DRAW and not only read about it and 'draw in my mind'. That's what happens a lot, I either read all those great threads here, follow along on a WIP or think about a piece I'd LIKE to draw.... and then that's it, I don't really do it. :(
I started drawing with CP recently and since that's a rather slow medium I need to sketch more as well or I get frustrated with not finishing anything.

And coming back to my pca I want to learn how to render skin without ending up with a muddy medium-grey-one-value drawing. Again: really looking forward to the portrait class!

take care,
Amira

dcee
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Hello All:wave: I'd love to take the basic dwg class. I REALLY need it. Proportions, perspective, shadows, everything! This thread is so long I'm a bit lost...but I think this is where my PCA belongs. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2006/58271-oldsheddwg.jpgThis is the 1st time I've ever tried to draw anything but a still life. Don't have a clue what to do with the foreground and bg!. Thgouht I'd better quit while I was ahead. :wink2: Here's the photoref from the RIL. http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=18009 Hope this qualifies!!

GabyChavez
01-29-2006, 01:20 AM
I just joined the forum. I am really looking forward to improving my drawing skills. I just drew some pictures. One is from a picture of me. Another drawing is of my hand, and the other drawing is of my cat in the bathroom sink. I know these pictures are really bad, but I know after a lot of practice I can become a really good artist. I have seen so many pictures posted from "beginners" that are very impressive. I can't wait to practice and post some real masterpieces - pictures that I can be proud of. As soon as I can figure out how to post my pictures, I will post them for you all to see.

Robin Neudorfer
01-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Diane- That is a nice PCA, and yes you are in the right place.
Gaby - There are threads that will explain how to upload your pictures. It is a bit confusing at first but gets easier as you go.
Welcome to WC to both of you. This is a great place to start.
One of the subbies will be around shortly to welcome you.
The requirement is to jump into Lessons 1-5 at your own pace. Then if I am correct, you can do any lesson you want.

Troy Rochford
01-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Welcome guys, and yes the info Robin gave is correct. Thanks Robin!:)

GabyChavez
01-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Here are three of my pre class drawings. They are really bad, I know. Well, at least I'll look that much better in the end when I learn to draw. LOL!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/75585-My-hand-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/75585-Piggy-drawing-web.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2006/75585-self-portrait-2-web.jpg

cgerardd
01-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm trying to jump in to the 101 Classes, but I have a question about the pre-assignment drawing. Should I use a reference photo or draw from life? I find it much more challenging to draw from life so I thought that would be a true test for me. I also thought it would be a great way to see how far I've come with the before and after. Please let me know. Thanks!

Claire