PDA

View Full Version : $$ Varnish $$

Wayne Gaudon
08-17-2002, 07:06 AM
Final Varnish
.. what can you buy in quantity that is good quality and good value? Can you buy crystals and junk and make it yourself? I live in an apartment so if I have to fire up, that would be a no no. If it's something that can be done outside, hey, I have a tail gate and 2 parking spots. :D

I have only seen these teeny weeny little bottles and that looks like a very expensive proposition!

Leopoldo1
08-17-2002, 10:05 AM
Wayne,

The most popular, versatile and easy to make varnish is damar either for picture or retouch. Damar crystals can be purchase readily at most art stores and they are inexpensive as opposed to mastic tears or the small bottles of ready to use damar varnish. Damar dilutes down easily without heating, even though slight heating speeds things up. It is a matter of putting equal amounts of crystals and turpentine into a container and let sit before you have a heavy solution, usually dissolved adequately in amout two days, depending on the size of the crystals. I further dilute this heavy varnish by adding two more parts of turps by volume or weight. Let this sit in a glass container for some considerable time and any impurities will settle to the bottom. It is a matter of decanting the beautiful clear varnish from the top and you should be in the ball game. This varnish produces a shiny surface. Some people like this visually. I prefer a more matt finish and will further dilute by slightly heating 4 parts damar, 1 part beeswax and 2 parts turps. Now the fun begins with the actual application of the picture varnish, alot harder than one first realizes, but with practice can be mastered. A good varnish brush is definitely in order!.......L

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2002/escoda1.jpg

Wayne Gaudon
08-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a plan .. will get busy checking into it .. the slight heat for adding the bees wax .. is that just putting it on an element at a very low heat and stirring or simering but never getting close to a boil and if so, for what length of time ..

Leopoldo1
08-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
Sounds like a plan .. will get busy checking into it .. the slight heat for adding the bees wax .. is that just putting it on an element at a very low heat and stirring or simering but never getting close to a boil and if so, for what length of time ..

Yes Wayne, very low heat until the wax pastilles are fully dissolved. Once this is combined throughly, not very long, just pour into jars and store until ready to use. Both the clear and wax/damar will have to be reheated, warm, when applying the picture varnish to your final painting. The warm solution brushes on wonderfully and with the wax solution, it is most important to keep the solution fully combined since the wax separates somewhat from the damar when cool. Safe to do on your kitchen stove with some common sense............L

Wayne Gaudon
08-17-2002, 10:22 PM
Super .. thank you very much for your time and answers.