Title: "Quiet Morning for Emilie"
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
-This morning's work.It went QUICKLY!
Didn't plan on necessarily doing this in a hurry,..but it KIND OF painted itself.Sooooo,..here's a 2and-a-half hour painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Appreciate all comments:)...

busterdog
08-16-2002, 05:15 PM
WONDERFUL control of edges and color !! This is a beauty (and I mean it....these are not just shallow words to make you feel good about yourself)

If all of your paintings show the intensity and vivacity of this one, you are one good artist !! Only thing that bothers me a little is the location of your signature...right between her legs..its's a little distracting :evil: I think I might have placed it on the other side of the painting.

giniaad
08-16-2002, 05:37 PM
all I can say is...

WONDERFUL

let them all paint themselves!

jerryW
08-16-2002, 07:48 PM
yeah and I supposed it signed itself too!

meantime I love the gestures of the residual color.
great movement

giniaad
08-16-2002, 08:28 PM
;)

Just going along with Mattlart's own words...

suncatcher
08-16-2002, 09:51 PM
I love it! This is beautiful.

Corrie Scott
08-17-2002, 12:17 PM
Another stunner. i keep looking at it.
Delicious when these sorts of works come out of you.
Agree about the signature.

mattlart
08-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Thank you all for your comments...
I don't know HOW that signature appeared there.....but it looks amazingly lifelike..:) Cheers,-Scott

mcknight
08-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Nicely done! Your hand is free of inhibition!

Dave

Gilberte
08-17-2002, 04:15 PM
but ... how long does it take to dry ? and ... how many years have you been painting before you reached this stage of painting ? I like it very very much although her bottom is somewhat disturbing me by its form. Am I alone in this opinion ?

javismiles
08-17-2002, 04:50 PM
what an awesome painting! superb! I love it! :)

painterbear
08-17-2002, 06:25 PM
Your talent is boundless!

I love everything about the painting from her waist up, but her bottom seems to be from a different picture in color, tone, and texture.

The pinks and soft lavenders in her hair and on the sheets are beautiful.

What a productive couple of hours you spent today! :p

mattlart
08-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi Dave...Thank you for taking time to look...that's what I'm going for;loose, fresh,..juicy and uninhibited,yet with a crasftsman's "finish"..;)

Gilberte:...Funny you should ask about the drying time,..considering the name of this website..:p Generally,..the THICKEST paintstrokes take about two weeks.Storage space is sometimes a wee little problem, but I do enjoy looking at them propped up all over the place...
I've been painting full-time now for approx. 18 years...in watercolor.Landscapes,houses, barns, figshing boats,lighthouses,Alaskan dog teams.LOL! EVERYTHING BUT figures..This is probably my 18th oil painting :)

By the way, I agree;..her butt looks odd. I've added some light and texture;...I do believe that it's fine now,..as butts go...

Javis:-Thank you...Have a great day.

Painterbear: YEP,..I fixed her butt..;) Thanks for your comments-Cheers!

Gilberte
08-18-2002, 03:21 AM
It's me again who has been looking for webpages but you don't seem to have any. You told us you have been doing watercolors etc. for 18 years so could you post some older work of yours ? I wonder is your colorwork has always been that bright, light, airy and I love to see the evolution in one's work. Thanks very much and good continuation !!!!

Pam B.
08-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Brilliant Scott!!! As always I just love your work. This again is very free, I like this style. The previous one with the musician also enjoyed this flamboyant freedom. I especially love the colours in this one.
Thanks for sharing!:cat:

crumbedbrains
08-18-2002, 09:04 AM
This is fantastic stuff!!
Wish I could be as free as yourself . . . . and Emily!
Cheers
Crumbedbrains

PS Glad you fixed the butt!

mattlart
08-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Good Morning....:p

Gilberte, I am going to post some of my older pieces done in watercolor and acrylic. In the meantime;....if you will punch up "Google" on your computer,..and put my name in..artist Scott Mattlin.........,you will find links to my older work. Have you done any postings lately? Haven't seen them .Take care.

Hi Pam......Glad you like this new style and color choices.They ARE a lot of fun to paint; not so much structure. Best wishes to you.

Crumbledbrains-(i can relate well to your screen name,lol).
You probably CAN paint in this looser, less inhibited style. It's mostly a matter of intention, I believe. Thanks for your comments.
-Scott

Paintonbrush
08-19-2002, 12:41 PM
This is my fav of yours so far. I bet the lovely lady enjoyed it very much! how romantic to be painted ;-)
my hubby lived in Alaska for 7 years, and reads over my shoulder now and then. particularly interested in your stint in Alaska.
confident work my friend.

Gilberte
08-19-2002, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattlart
[B]Good Morning....:p

Gilberte, I am going to post some of my older pieces done in watercolor and acrylic. In the meantime;....if you will punch up "Google" on your computer,..and put my name in..artist Scott Mattlin.........,you will find links to my older work. Have you done any postings lately? Haven't seen them .Take care.

As per google found some of your older pieces: very good but what an evolution you've been going through ...I have the feeling you've thrown all your possible restrictions overboard and are now painting with lots of gusto !!!!! For the better !!!!!! (I mostly post in the watercolor forum)

artbabe21
08-19-2002, 05:45 PM
This IS truly amazing work!

Gorgeous through & through......even
the signature & bottom.......