PDA

View Full Version : MentalMadness

maxdawn
08-16-2002, 04:10 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-16-2002/12193_mentalmadness.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: MentalMadness
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Other
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Being new to the art world I feel that any constructive comments would be helpful. I have no training in the arts so could use the insight of other artist. This is a collage that I enjoyed creating.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to figure out why, when photographing my piece they always come out looking flat but the piece themselves have a 3D appearance. Also I'd like to learn more about negative space and the usage of negative space.

Corrie Scott
08-16-2002, 04:45 PM
This is very interesting.
Doesn't look so flat to me.
Try lighting in natural light and see if you get more of a 3 dimensional.
As to negative space, I always try to use my instincts on that one. Others will advise you with their ideas

giniaad
08-16-2002, 04:49 PM
one of the best collages I have ever seen
would like to see it larger (here)

I think your use of negative space is very well ballanced
and doesn't look flat to me either

maxdawn
08-16-2002, 07:14 PM
I am so happy to final get some respones to the work that I do. I guess I didn't explain myself clear enough when talking about negative space. I have had other people make comments on my lack of negtive space. I do not inderstand what negative space is suppose to be so I can not see what they are talking about. As I said I am very new to the art world with no training of any kind, and have only been doing my collages since May of this year. I fine that the piece make themselves, all I do is act as hands. When I put a piece down the art work will except it or regect it. I am always surprised what the end product is. As to putting a larger photo of that piece in here I'll see if I can make it larger. Will get back to you on that one. Once again thanks so much for your input. Here is one more piece I thought might be of interest.

Christine Mallaband
08-16-2002, 08:09 PM
Hi
I "think" negative space is possibly an area that "sits back" ie does not come forward in your work? But I am not absolutely sure, I suppose it depends what context the people were talking in. I know that is you create any work of art you sometimes need areas that are not too busy, a space which does not have anything in it, to give your eyes a rest and to also lead you around the work. I can see that in the second image you posted, around its edge where it is just one colour and allows you to notice the centre more?
Is that what they mean? Sometimes things can look to busy you and your eye jumps about (not literally) if you dont do that- leave spaces.
I hope this comment helps!
Chris M-B:rolleyes:

maxdawn
08-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Christine if that is what negative space is then you got it. I am so glad that someone could explain it to me in plain words. Thanks so much, your explanation has given me food for thought. I'll see what I can do now since I understand what negative space is. I seem to be getting some in my art even without knowing. LOL, but like I said, the art creates its self....I just provide the hands.

mattlart
08-16-2002, 11:53 PM
Often,...I find that some people tend to "overintellectualize" artwork....-and often,..even we creators don't know what they're talking about,lol.
I could give you the "formal" explanation of negative space.(basically, the shapes BETWEEN images,..or backround "showing through", if you will),........but you don't need to concern yourself much with this,...in my humble opinion:)
Your work is interesting, exciting,..and from my own experience,...unique. Try not to overthink your artwork. Trust your instincts,..the elements of surprise,..color,..texture;they allwork together in a powerful way in your collages. Keep doing what you're doing:)
In terms of showing more of the "sculptured" look of your work in photos...........;try side lighting them,..casting a small shadow to one side...or top lighting,..to cast a slight shadow downward when you take your photos. Nice work. Have fun;) -Scott

giniaad
08-17-2002, 11:28 AM
in your second piece you posted here
the negative space would be the blue space

it leaves the space you worked on, to show,
floating in a void...

this negative space
should not be left unworked
the piece should be integrated
leading the eye all around the surface

so, interestingly enough, there shouldn't actually be
too much of a negative space.

I guess the negative space refers to the space
that is not the main subject.

your first post here...uses the entire surface
as it should...and very nicely...it integrates well

maxdawn
08-18-2002, 07:17 PM
I found the program to resize so here it is.

blkros
08-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks for posting the bigger pic. This is very good. As for negative space, some else got it right when they said it's the space that is not the main subject. It can, also, be defined as the space between main subjects in a work of art. It is useful in that it keeps the artwork interesting. Try making a piece around the negative space, sometime. LOL.

Anyways your negative space is looking real good in this one. Keep it up.

giniaad
08-19-2002, 12:10 PM
thanks for the larger pic...
love how you made the head
out of flames and smoke
works well here
especially with your title

no problem with the use of negative space here
you have made it all possitvely used

attractive composition
very interesting to look at

he looks to be native king of mental madness