PDA

View Full Version : Ebay lately

anasazistudios
08-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I have had a rash of deadbeat bidders lately.

It would be nice if people just responded after the auction ends. I have several who is has been a week and no response at all.:(

Elizabeth

wildfirelauri
08-16-2002, 04:55 AM
Hello Elizabeth..when you say that you wished high bidders would respond just after the auction ends..do you mean that you wait until you hear from them? Do you send them an email (not just the auto one or the aution total they can choose themselves.) Perhaps the high bidders are new to ebay and are waiting to hear from you. Just a thought. If they are not responding to you at all and you have tried to contact them, then that is a different situation entirely.

Lori Peterson
08-16-2002, 06:42 AM
I think I have my first one....

Great contact right after the auction but nothing since. She was going to send a check but nothing so far and it has been well over 10 days since it ended. I don't even have her full address or I would just send her the beads anyway. She could pay me whenever she could.

Here is a link to the auction with noplace to go. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=947449182&rd=1)

I sent her another email asking for the rest of her address yesterday. Hopefully she will let me know something.

Lori

Jennifer Geldard
08-16-2002, 06:50 AM
Those are wonderful Lori!
I'd hold onto them until you have payment.
Especially if they're a first time customer for you. How's the customer's feedback rating?

anasazistudios
08-16-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by wildfirelauri
Hello Elizabeth..when you say that you wished high bidders would respond just after the auction ends..do you mean that you wait until you hear from them? Do you send them an email (not just the auto one or the aution total they can choose themselves.) Perhaps the high bidders are new to ebay and are waiting to hear from you. Just a thought. If they are not responding to you at all and you have tried to contact them, then that is a different situation entirely.

Hello! This is not responding at all after I have repeatedly tried to contact them. :confused:

Elizabeth

Lori Peterson
08-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Jennifer -

Actually, pretty good. Not many purchases in the bead arena before (I know, how nosey can I get?) but many, many glowing reviews with only one negative.

And thank you so much for the complement! If you only knew how I drool over each and every item you post on ebay you would hire a bodyguard and file a restraining order. How in the blue blazes you get that almost frosty, first hint of snow look on your vessels I will just never know but I love it to death.

I put stuff in the dip and die (proper name= dip-n-etch) and all I get are duller, less shiny beads most of the time (along with enough fumes to say adios to another 150,000 brain cells). I really need to stop trying to do this kind of activity on my metal worksurface. Ay carumba!

Whoa - that was one heck of a tangent. I'm rather chatty when I should be vacuuming. LOL

Lori Peterson

cankeep
08-16-2002, 07:35 AM
Lori,
I wouldn't send anything out till the money arrives. I used to do that too every once in a while but got burned a few times. :mad:
Since then I always wait till the payment is in my hot little hands before I ship.
Honest mistakes happen, the customer may think they sent out a check or a money order but can't quite remember for sure. If they already have the beads then it's up to you to prove that you haven't received the $$. It's kind of a delicate situation. The last thing you want to do is alienate a potential future customer, but then again you can't pay the bills if you don't get paid yourself. Personally I prefer to be the one who chooses the people I send free beads to!:p

The burden of proof lies with you at that point and they can easily say that they sent a money order and you'd have no way to trace it. I learned to wait. I also have a few regulars who really take a loooong time to pay, but eventually always come through. Now I know when I see their name pop up in the bidding that I may wait a few weeks before the transaction is complete, but I still appreciate their business, so don't give them a hard time about the wait.
:)
Hope you hear from them soon!

Lezlie

AllisonE
08-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Hello,
It is not just you. My mom sells quartz crystals and other stones on ebay, and she said that there have been a bunch of npb lately, also, very very slow bidders. I had a lady on justbeads.com win an auction from me in June, and I got an echeck from her in August! with no explanation.
Seems to be going around.
Allison

!ngridh
08-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Well I personally believe that our buyers are just like us. If they have enough feedback, then I just don't worry. We all have things like a sick child, or worse. I believe the buyer is just like me, honest and honorable and life got in the way. Sometimes I ship before I have payment if the buyer says that they need to send payment at the end of the week and they have loads of feedback. Now that doesn't mean that someday I won't get stung but....it means I don't have to go thru all the worry about it.
Recently I switched two books and was notified by the buyers. To save money I asked them if they would ship to eachother and I would send them postage. Both said no problem and after mailing the books told me I didn't need to pay them. They were sooooo nice about it! Well I sent them each $5 anyway because it was my mistake and they were so nice and helpful.
The golden rule says treat others as you would have them treat you...please note it doesn't say...that if you do that you have a right to expect them to do the same. I had a new buyer recently with a $120.00 who is going to send a MO...and I have already shipped the beads. Of course I don't ship if there is no communication. When I have a buyer who hasn't responded I send an email that says...Please forgive me if you have already contacted me and I have lost the email. I am following up on this auction win and if there is anything I can do to help you complete this transaction just let me know! I always hear from them eventually and they always pay and I don't have heartburn worrying about it. Someday someone will disappoint me but that is just the law of averages and I will not let the expect rare deadbeat to change my opinion of the human race as a whole ;-)
ok ok I will shut up now!

paskon
08-16-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Lori Peterson
I think I have my first one....

Great contact right after the auction but nothing since. She was going to send a check but nothing so far and it has been well over 10 days since it ended. I don't even have her full address or I would just send her the beads anyway. She could pay me whenever she could.

Here is a link to the auction with noplace to go. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=947449182&rd=1)

I sent her another email asking for the rest of her address yesterday. Hopefully she will let me know something.

Lori

She probably will contact you eventually...but I still wouldn't ship the beads until she pays for them. This may have been added since you last checked, but she has another negative feedback this week for the same thing. She's been buying a lot of stuff (yes, I've been nosy too! :evil: ) and maybe she overdid it a little. But unless its someone I know and have done business with before, I would just be too nervous sending the beads without payment. Maybe its just me, but at least if I still have the beads I know I can relist them.

I sold 3 sewing machines in the last 3 weeks, so I have been checking out the sewing machine market on ebay and have noticed that people are having a LOT of trouble getting the prices that they want! My feeling is that people just aren't spending as much as they usually do; i was able to sell my machines for decent prices, but others weren't so lucky. An embroidery machine that I sold a year ago for $1600 won't even sell for $900 now; maybe its the economy? People will still buy beads, but we're bound to see some effects from the economy somewhere.

Luckily, beads are addictive, so I think there will always be demand for them! :)

-Patti

anasazistudios
08-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Patti, been hearing it from so many people that ebay is in a slump and people just aren't buying as much.

When I buy things on ebay, I pay quickly. That is just how I am. I am impatient though. But hey we all have faults. After all, we are all human.

I don't send things that people have bought out until it is paid for. I just don't know my customers well enough to be able to do that. There are a few repeat customers that I would consider doing that for.

Elizabeth

08-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Ebay is notoriously slow in August. I've noticed several of the "big name" lampwork artists take the month off, and then come back with a vengeance in September.

Also, August might be a lot of vacations and time away from home for some folks. So maybe you're emails have arrived while your customer was on a cruise in the Caribbean or something.

I definitely wouldn't ship the beads until you receive payment, but give them a few extra days just because they might be cramming in a last vacation trip of the summer.

Melinda Melanson
08-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Never send anything out without receiving payment first. I have been doing beads on ebay for 1 1/2 yrs. longer with other products. And though the deadbeats are few and far between, when you don't get payment for a set you spent a couple hours on, it really ruins your day. I have 4 customers right now, in 2 different accounts, that seem to be having difficulty paying. Most people pay up after I file NPB. And I always give them extra time to pay before I file for NPB. If I don't get a response at all, as soon as the appropriate amount of time has passed for receiving payment (14 days stated in my tos) Then file that NPB. It takes alot of extra time to keep reminding and begging people to pay. I would rather be at the torch. I try to be nice to people, but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and stick to your guns!

fergiebeads
08-16-2002, 01:13 PM
I have the same problem on two of my buyers. One of them bought four sets. After she won the first, she said she was bidding on some others and could I wait to combine them all - which was fine. She won them on 8/2, 8/6 (2), and 8/11.

After she won each auction, I responded with a re-adjusted recap of the total, so I did keep in contact.

I say on my auctions to pay within seven days, so she's still within that time on at least the last auction.

I guess I'm going to wait until the 18th or 19th and remind her.

How do you word your "reminders"?

~J

Dale_M
08-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Remidner see like a good idea, though I don't know how to word them...

Another thought could be, something in bead description about payment. Something like "if payment not received in 15 working days" auction is canceled and beads go back on the block. Maybe include this statement in your "personal" confirmation message to lucky bidder.

Dale

!ngridh
08-16-2002, 02:25 PM
I never word my reminders in an accusitory tone...I always leave room and that I could have just lost it...I have send a preliminary NPB notice once and that really got her attention and she sort of panicked...when she finally made contact I mailed before I received her check...and it came. Imagine it is you who have had life interfere in your ebay auctions and how would you like to have the reminder worded? I think that is a good yard stick to measure up against! ;-)

cankeep
08-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Good advice Ingrid! I do the same thing with mine. I always give the customer the benefit of the doubt...I've had some good customers who had an emergency hospital stay or a computer that crashed...legitimate reasons for a delay in responding to their email! I always make sure that my wording is respectful and courteous. :)

Lezlie

www.cankeep.glasser.com

Lori Peterson
08-16-2002, 02:47 PM
!ngrid, you sound just like me and I sound just like my grandma, who must have said to me at least twice a week, "Always follow the golden rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated." Grandma knew karma, alright. I really believe that saying, and more than that, I try to live it - - every single day. I love people. I believe in my heart that they are good. Bad circumstances can cause 'bad' behavior but not bad people. Of course, I am on heavy dosage medication right now so it might just be the meds talkin'. :p

Lori

!ngridh
08-16-2002, 03:16 PM
I believe it is best to expect the best and know that sometime I will be disappointed. It is bound to happen. But I refuse to live my life expecting it. When it happens ...it will have happened and I won't let that one bad experience change the way I see the world. In my 5 years with my own gallery in Juneau, I took checks from tourist from all over and NEVER took any ID...and never once did I have a tourist bounce a check....NOT ONCE. I knew it could happen but life is so much easier expecting the best. Of course if you get stung a few too many times then it is time to re-evaluate your game plan. I figure my customers are like me...imperfect, honest and fallible ( very human)! Before you write that scathing letter to someone you dont know and are thinking bad thoughts about...read it as if you were the recipient...how would you feel.
It is a good yard stick and you will get a much better response if you dont accuse and give them room for life to get in the way.
;-)

macbeth7
08-21-2002, 03:18 PM
I totally agree with & follow Ingrid's philosophy, & have rarely had a problem!

I always figure that everyone has the potential to have something happening in their life that might delay them a bit. I figure things will all work out in the end, & usually I am right....sometimes it takes a little longer than I'd like, but that's okay. I've been guilty of the same myself, for a host of reasons...illness, computer problems, unexpected trip out of town, etc...sometimes just plain forgetfulness!

Before Paypal, I actually had payments get lost in the mail several times. I will never send a money order again, after the PO lost a whole batch of mail I'd sent on one day. I'd gotten $600 worth of money orders, figuring that the people would get the money sooner than if I sent a check, plus i think I was low on checks. None of them ever reached their intended destination, along with several checks for bills & half of my Christmas cards! Then I find out that the PO won't even look into it for 90 days (I think it was 90...was a few years ago), & then you can file a form, & then it takes a month or so for them to look into it, & then a little while longer to send reimbursement...plus I had to pay for each one to be looked into! Almost like when our car was stolen a few years ago & the tow pound charged us $40 a day for storage for the days they had it before they contacted us, plus $50 for towing it there! At least we got out of paying the 4 parking tickets the car got while sitting on a street abandoned after it ran out of gas! :rolleyes:

Hmm, seemed to have gotten off track there...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, eBay payments! As a buyer, I appreciate a reminder if I've forgotten payment, as I certainly didn't intend it! My bookkeeping just leaves a lot ot be desired, & I'mjust plain scatterbrained sometimes!

Just word a reminder by saying something like:

Thank you for bidding on my auction for #12345 Bob's Blue Suede Shoes Beads. Since I haven't heard from you, I'm afraid that either my e-mail or your response to it might have gotten lost in cyberspace, as sometimes seems to happen! Below is a copy of the original e-mail I sent to you at auction's end: <cut-&-paste original e-mail>

Okay, something like that...nice but not accusatory. I also think it's a good idea in your original e-mail to say something like "please respond to this e-mail with your mailing address so that I may get your beads all packed up & ready to go, & so that I know you've received this e-mail." Not that everyone seems to listen.

Lori, I would not send out the beads until you receive payment, unless they are a frequent customer, which this person doesn't sound like. It looks like she's gotten a few more bad feedbacks since you posted, but has a lot of good ones from before. Maybe something is going on in her life. Hopefully she has gotten back to you, or will soon. I know it can be frustrating, but I find that it's best to give the person every benefit of the doubt. Send nice e-mails, & if no reponse after a while, file a non-paying bidder alert. I always think negative feedback should be a last resort. I think you have 90 days in which to leave it (I'd check on that).

Elizabeth, have you heard from them yet? If not, & you've tried e-mailing them several times already, I'd try filing a NPB alert. Sometimes that brings about an immediate response.

Oh my, talk about a tangent! Much more fun sitting here typing than cleaning the house or stuff like that though...I'm just a natural procrastinator...sigh...

:cat:
Beth

Vixon
08-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Hola Lori
Me gusta los cajones!
no puedo creer que los llamo "los cajones", pero son tan bonitos, me gusta los colores!
Habla espanol?

Pues, anyway-maybe they are just late at sending the payments, or changed their minds, or ....

maybe they'll pay you soon, plus interest:D

Lori Peterson
08-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Vixon
Hola Lori
Me gusta los cajones!
no puedo creer que los llamo "los cajones", pero son tan bonitos, me gusta los colores!
Habla espanol?

Pues, anyway-maybe they are just late at sending the payments, or changed their minds, or ....

maybe they'll pay you soon, plus interest:D

Signifiqué llamarlos los testículos calientes! Aqui, en Califoria, cajones es argot para los testículos. Es muy mal, yo se. Mi español es muy malo. No estoy sorprendido que lo conseguí incorrecto.

Eso es lo que usted consigue de un noruego rubio.

y gracias por el amor sobre los granos. Hacen que desea ir a San Miguel y beber coladas del pina.

Lori
International Idiot (gone global thanks to the WWW!)