PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic beads and pendants

KellyK
08-15-2002, 11:48 PM
Here I have a nice new kiln, and a ceramicist friend to help me from 30 miles away, and I went to check and see if anyone in the ceramics group did beads, and... NO CERAMICS GROUP!

Doesn't anyone do creative things with ceramics anymore? It's a lot more than just making leaf-print ashtrays and painting kitty greenware!! I'd love to learn how to make raku beads, and do snazzy carved pendants, but.... clay is a canvas, too!!!

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

KellyK :eek: :eek:

DuncanBerenice
08-16-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi KellyK

I've always fancied trying ceramics for years (still do fancy it), ever since I visited the potteries museum in Stoke-on-Trent UK when I was a wee kid.

As I said I still fancy giving it a go but, with four young kids and two of them are special needs its not possible (safety sakes), maybe once they are older and wiser I'll look into the possiblity. But in saying that, I did buy some Li Qua Che to try my hand at non-fired ceramics, I've no had the time to give it a try, hopefully soon one day :D when my kids got to school.

Duncan

KellyK
08-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Sounds like interesting stuff. Is it terra cotta?

I appreciate your caution, btw. Is there a ceramic shop nearby that could do firing for you? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the dangers of a kiln!

KellyK (another Scot, maiden name McKinnon)

DuncanBerenice
08-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi KellyK

The Li Qua Che is like paper mache with resign, you can use plaster moulds as in slip casting, and after a few minutes (I'll check the timings later) you can remove it from the cast and then trim the edges (fettling) with a knife or sponge, then leave to harden and then you paint it.

The nearest ceramics supplies/kiln is an hours drive away too far for my liking. I might look into it later but in the mean time I can only wait patiently :D

Duncan

Sonya
08-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Kelly I think a lot of people are now using the Fimo type of clays anymore. They can be baked in the oven so you get the instant gratification thing going. also saves a lot of money. I used to have a kiln , sold it a few years ago now I wish I still had it. Hope you find someone to chat with about clays. Sonya

KellyK
08-17-2002, 07:52 PM
I have to disagree.... they are two distinct mediums. As anyone who has used polymer clay knows...and I have been a polymer clay artist for 10 years... it has limitations. When making raku, for instance, one must tack on "faux raku" and still people will ask, "are they *real*?" -- meaning, of course, are they ceramic. Try as we might to correct the view, I have concluded that polymer clay will for a long time be considered a second-class medium. Now that I have a kiln and can do raku beads that are
"*real*" that is what I plan to do. I'm just astounded that the ceramic arts aren't represented AT ALL here on WetCanvas!

Kelly, awed and amazed.

JustjoGA
09-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Kelly... you might check in the Mixed Media/Alternative Materials forum.... There are artists there whose work hasn't a large enough following to warrant a separate forum yet... You could email Scott, the administrator about forming one, if you find enough people to keep it going. One thing this Community is about is NOT excluding anyone's art form.... I'm sure there are others ... you just need to lure them to WetCanvas to participate.

mrsmac
10-06-2002, 09:04 AM
I was reading about all the different "clays" and wondered if anyone knows about "cold porcelaine". It, apparently, is a recipe you make up at home and it air dries. I saw a woman on television do some great things with it, and she is normally a cake decorator, says its done the same way. Any ideas?
Jackie:: :confused:

sassybird
10-09-2002, 12:55 PM
I would like to invite you to show some of your work in the mixed/alternative medium forum. People are always happy to see the work people do in alternative mediums. I agree that ceramics is an art form in it's own right, and that many people have misconceptions of just what can be done with the medium. I have seen some wonderfully creative work done in ceramics, and have a small collection of things that ceramic artists did while I was in college.

zyffyr
10-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Dear KellyK,
Here I am! You are not alone! :clap: I too love to make porcelain beads........and miniature sculptures......and little thrown vessels. It's been about a year or so since I've had anything fired, as I don't have a working kiln, but after this holiday season, I intend to get back at it. I also enjoy free painting on ceramic blanks, both with the new "bake in your oven" paints and the old fashioned ways. I'd like to try some small murals on tile too, say 20x24". I have raku'd a couple of times in a class, but not beads. I have had no luck in finding heat- proof wire to hang my beads in a kiln, so that's been a major setback. All my beads have areas without glaze...... What do you use????? I also was given my grandmother's porcelain painting set and am dying to use it, but with the multiple firings required, I can't afford it. I have also had no luck finding somewhere local willing to fire at such a high heat. There's just not enough demand for that kind of service. What I really need is a table-top kiln of my own......but I can't afford one......sigh. I'd also want the kiln to be appropriate for glass work. So, that's a bit about me. I joined WC after seeing your message......so now there are two of us. Glad to meet you. zyffyr

KellyK
10-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi, zyffyr! Actually, I'm not the person who does the porcelain, I just play with them. However, maybe I can coax her over to participate now that we've got an interesting dialog going. She makes some really amazing items!

KellyK, who hopes her potter buddy will come join us!

artistatheart
12-16-2002, 03:39 PM
hi kelly i to just bought a kiln this summer, very larger computer job. i am a sculpter most but have playd with ceramics to get the feel of opprating my kiln. i also purchest a very small used kiln and a whole lot of molds for doll make. in the molds were a set of molds to make pendents to. havent had much time to work with any of it but sure am iching to try. i also bought a brand new potters wheel to play with havent done any throwing in years. would love to make beads as well sence i have been beading since i was a kid. i would love to here more from you . artistatheart ( karen)

arlene
12-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Kelly drum up the interest...write scott and I'm sure you'll be on your way to getting a forum...it's how colored pencil, pen and ink, glass, abstract, and quite a few other forums were added. Someone stated a need, and moved to get others onto the bandwagon, and then we had a new forum.

earthenwood
11-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Hello Everybody,
I know that this is a very old thread, but I found it in the archives and I thought I would respond to it, if any of you are still out there and interested in ceramic beads.

Thare are several bead makers writing in the Glass section right now about techniques and ideas. Please join us, we would love to meet more artists interested in clay, porcelain, and various ceramic beads!

Here are two links...
Glaze Questions
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145544
Kilns & Firing
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146085

Thank you!

Alan Cross
11-19-2003, 03:09 AM
Did you try this question over in the Sculpture forum?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=12

Alan :)

earthenwood
11-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Alan,
Thank you, that is a good suggestion. I will post some info there and in the mixed media section. I am trying to gather as many interested people together. This is a subject that I love. I have been making ceramic beads for over 8 years, now and there is very little information available to help and teach others. Wet Canvas is an incredible place to do this. Now, when I meet someone who is interested, I can just send them a few WC links!

Thanks again!

lyn lynch
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
<----- who is steathly sneaking up on Earthenwoood to grab and run w/the wonderful bead that is tiny head.

No, I don't make ceramic beads, or glass beads, but how I wish I had the materials to do so!! I LOVE beads, buttons, etc.

I made some lovely ones in FIMA, the oven clay. And there is also an air dried porcelain product on the market that produces a nice result.

I would DEFINITELY lurk in this new community--form it!!!

Alan Cross
11-19-2003, 11:02 AM
I am intrested in your thread as I am taking a bead making couse in December....makeing glass beads...going to be fun I think...
Alan :)

bdswagger
02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
There is a wonderful online group called Beads of Clay, that works in all types of ceramics, all forms of fireing. Matter of fact, there are several WC members from Wearable Art Forum, who are members, other than myself.

I haven't been active there in awhile and cant remember the addy, but do a Yahoo Groups search, and you should be able to go right to it.

I'm another ceramics person who is currently hampered by the lack of a kiln. Which is why I've gotten into polymer clay. While it isn't as versatile as ceramics, it still seems to be a pretty neat medium.

Scine you have so many years experiance with pc, could you answer some questions for me? I would greatly appreciate some help here.

Leigh

KellyK
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll do what I can - or point you toward someone who can... What questions do you have?

KellyK

bdswagger
03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I'll do what I can - or point you toward someone who can... What questions do you have?

KellyK

Oh good, your still here! I wondered since your profile said it had been a long time since you had last posted.

I posted my questions over in the Mixed Media forum and got some help, but I have MORE questions I posted there today. I'll get the link and post it here for you. Be right back!

Leigh

bdswagger
03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
And here is the link to my questions. Thanks ahead for any/all help!
Leighhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330579