PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic paints brands?

StarGate
10-01-2000, 04:17 PM
Is anyone using Golden Paints? If so are they really good acrylic paints? Pros and Cons welcomed on this line of paint. If Con statement please list the brand or brands you feel are better.

CarlyHardy
10-01-2000, 10:01 PM
I've bought and used several of the Golden tube acrylic colors. Really like them. They don't seem to darken as much when dry compared to other same colors. They are very rich and buttery in consistency...easy to use alla prima.
carly

StarGate
10-02-2000, 12:10 AM
Thanks carly. I had read somewhere that they (Golden Paints) had won some type of award over in England - I think it was last year - for having the longest lasting acrylics- the test was done by some museum in England. I have a few that I have been using on paper and the other ones I have are some Liqutex 1's so I don't have much to compare them to. The people I talked with there (Golden Paints) where pretty nice over the phone.

icefan13
10-27-2000, 12:24 AM
...easy to use alla prima.
carly[/B]

What exactly does "alla prima" mean? I've always wondered.

tahlequah
10-27-2000, 08:38 AM
Hi! I've been monitoring the forum for a couple of weeks.Thought I would jump in and get my feet wet.After working with pastels a couple of years,I'm trying acrylics now.I waste a lot of paint using Liquitex because it dries darker than I want.Any suggestions other than trying Golden? What about Chromacolour? I have read good reports on Chromacolour. Feedback,please, before I have to buy more paint!

------------------
Jo Anna

tahlequah
10-27-2000, 04:11 PM
Thanks Dee, on the tip for Utrecht acrylics. I haven't heard of this brand before. Where is it availble? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Jo Anna

CarlyHardy
10-27-2000, 04:13 PM
Alla prima is a term for "just paint"...no mediums added...in other words "right out of the tube".

Acrylics all have the tendency to dry darker...some colors moreso than others, too. Golden and Utrecht both are brands I've used that I don't see a big difference in the color change. Always buy artist quality...no matter the brand (you can usually tell the difference by the price..lol). I use different brands for different colors too, but this comes with experimenting with the paints to see what works best for you as an individual.

Another help is using a varnish over the entire acrylic painting once it is thoroughly dry....I like the satin (not glossy but not matte either). The varnish will also bring your colors back to life if they appear dulled out some.
carly

animal
10-28-2000, 12:20 AM
Here`s the website for golden paint

http://www.goldenpaints.com/index.htm

animal
10-28-2000, 12:28 AM
thanks for all the good brands that you mentioned

idahogirl
10-28-2000, 12:30 AM
I like Utrecht acrylics and find them to be very high quality, good price and very little (I can't see it) color shift. Had some very frustrating times with student grade acrylics prior to switching to Utrect. The color shift was awful.

Happy painting,

Dee

LarrySeiler
10-28-2000, 09:34 AM
To answer Jo Anna's question, I have used Atelier Chromacryl paints for years. Only recently did I switch to another.

The Chromacryl has a student grade, and the Atelier are the professional quality. The paint is a high concentration of pigment, and very nice to work with.

I have used just about every kind out there, but the one I favor now is Galeria...both for its handling and convenience. The Galeria's come in 200ml bottles, with easy to use dispenser pop-up nozzules. They cost roughly $9 each, but for 200ml...that's pretty good! I really like not having to screw tops on and off...and I've had great success with them.

And.... to follow up on the Alla Prima question.... it is best known from the work of Baroque master Frans Hals. A Dutch painter. And to be more accurate, the Impressionists were best known to use the paint directly from the tubes...but, alla prima means to start and finish a painting in one sitting.

If you ever happen to see a Frans Hals in an art museum...enjoy them knowing this! I saw one at the Art Institute in Chicago, and the most perfect hand painted on a gentleman tipping a wine glass. Hands are very difficult anatomically, so I had to investigate. Hals used very buttery thick impasto'ish paint, so no doubt he included bees wax as a medium...and in roughly 12 brushstrokes, he had painted the hand perfectly!

I had to move in and out to let the strokes blend in the eye...that is, back up..move forward, because I simply could not believe his mastery. It was awesome.

For the record then, "Plein Air" means to paint on location or "in the open air"
"Pochade" means to make an oil sketch.

Larry http://lseiler.artistnation.com

[This message has been edited by lseiler (edited October 28, 2000).]